F8 - Shmee Drives the F8 Behind La Ferraris | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Shmee Drives the F8 Behind La Ferraris

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. notsofast

notsofast Karting

Sep 29, 2009
    Henry Catchpoles work with Carfection is a joy to watch. It’s my go to for new car reviews. The cinematography is fantastic to but the way Catchpole conveys his thoughts on how a car handles is almost without peer.

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Of the English speaking, internet journos, he is the best, together with Needell and Plato. Catchpole is also great, as is that Aussie bloke that used to work for Motortrend. Harris though, I don't like him one bit...

3. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    I like Damon from the Car Guys. He has a very nice stable of cars and does a good job articulating. Can't wait to see his Pista Spider review when he gets it.

Reiziger likes this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

He has notes and prepares...it’s not as on the fly as u would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Natkingcolebasket69

They are more importantly both coming from money...not fully trying to discredit them but when, from
    The get go u have access to cool cars to review u are wel positioned for more views...

All this gang: shmee, seb Delaney, mr jww, super car of London they are all connected ...and put vehichle virgin and even hoovies and ull see not many are starting from
    The bottom...good for them though;)

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Heck yeah! Love his 205gti review!

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Like Jethro Bonvingdon much more than Schmee.

8. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    Context is important. He uses soft when he says that you can turn the mannetino to sport and then press bumpy road mode, which softens it even more (since in sport it is softer than race) , and in wet mode it’s always soft.
    At the end he says “Overall though, good things to say, you can tell the differences between this and Pista, you can tell that this is the version of the car created more for everyday versatile driving” and its a “less hardcore than the Pista.”

So, he doesn’t say “soft” quite a lot in terms of driving experience, but he mentioned it a few times in the context of making the suspension feel softer.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The best use for deep fake AI would be to filter Shmeeeee out of his own videos. Make him absolutely invisible (should be easy to just detect the image and replace with synthesized background scenes in each shot) and then translate the voice to someone you wont want to jamb knives into your ears hearing. Detect and replace worthless speech with gaps like a Nixon tape. I'm sure several members on this site could do this and then I would be able to see the cars and not the Shmeeee and the self aggrandizing or suck-up babble. Too harsh?

Challenge, Ash Patel and Shadowfax like this.
  10. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    He’s hard to take seriously... schmee? First name? Last name? Mono name?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Put Jessica Alba face on it. I will be on it

12. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Easy for some to criticize I see and very overly at that. He's got money from the family and blah blah blah. Bottom line he hustles his ass off and I respect that. He's having a blast traveling the World and seeing all of these cars. Manufacturers love this English chap. If you don't that's your preference.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No not harsh at all. Your ideas are relatively fair and reasonable all things considering and, a great concept!
    Only real problem i foresee with the editing out of all the dross and self indulgent brown nosing is that it would likely become the shortest vid in living memory.

alibo70 and Tackleberry like this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Schmee did not even pay attention to the driving characteristics of the F8. He was too busy bubbling over the cars around him. He simply regurgitated the obvious- softer than Pista, made more for road use, suspension softer in sport than race, bumpy road setting even softer. Really. Shocking assessment.He is clueless.

IloveGT and alibo70 like this.
  15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    And that is exactly the problem. Even with preparations of notes, schmee still sounds like it's on the fly.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

LOL ——he is annoying indeed

17. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Shmee is the most unpleasant person I have ever seen on Youtube. He's probably not a bad guy, but man, he does look and speak like a freakin' loser! With his teeth always showing when he speaks and with that stupid "cheeeers" at the end of the video... And on top of that he always speaks the same stupid dry statistic about every car...

It doesn't really matter how knowledgeable he is, Youtube is about entertainment more than everything else.

18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Hey at least I learned how to set up sprinkler system on YouTube.

19. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Well that's easy when you openly admit in a Ferrari review that you won't criticize the car b/c you're afraid Ferrari won't invite you back to drive more cars. Of course manufacturers love a good brown noser.

20. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Same words I use to describe millennials who are the primary viewers of this garbage

AD211 likes this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think a lot of these Youtubers could learn a lot, had they read some of the older articles in magazines.
    Chris Harris does a nice job of painting a mental picture, like Harry Metcalfe and James May for instance.
    Any car reviewer should be forced to read at least 500 Gray Baskerville articles, to really learn what motoring journalism and car culture is all about. Shmee, Doug what-ever-his-name-is, that Parker guy etc. are terrible at reviewing cars. No imagination and very little substance. I remember reading an article by Clarkson about seven years ago or so, on what it took to review cars and make Top Gear. One of the interesting things he pointed out was this. A lot of people assumed you had to have a huge love for cars and driving, and while that most definitely helped, the single most important thing was writing. He stressed time and time again, that to be a successful reviewer and presenter, you needed a deep and profound love for writing. If we look at some of the greatest car reviewers there has been and still are, they have one thing in common - they are first and foremost writers and storytellers. If kou can't tell a great story and appeal to peoples imagination, you got nothing. That's what's wrong with these Youtube vloggers. They are no different than musicians whom all of a sudden got an easy outlet for their stuff. All you need is a cheap camera and a microphone to reach the world. No education and no quality control - and due to the fact that most of these videos are targeted at teens who prefer instant gratification over substance, means that it becomes this lazy and flatulent load of nothing.
    He does in fact not know a lot. Yes, he has driven a lot of cars, but the way he talks about them makes it painfully clear that he memorizes a load of info which he then just mouths off. This is why Harris became such a success. It is easy to see that Harris created a story, not just shot a "random" vlog. Everything from his choice of words, to the odd t-shirts and clothes he wore, or his odd ways of creating an image to convey a point, was all well thought out. Same goes for a guy like Matt Ferrah or Metcalfe. They have a story to tell, and they love to write.
    Shmee and the rest of those buffoons? They wouldn't know great writing and journalism.if Gray Baskerville beat them over the head with it.

LamboLover likes this.
  22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Most of these bloggers can barely afford their cars.

23. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Fast forward to the 9:00 minute mark. To afford a Pista, you need the right lender who will finance you.

Dude probably has 20 grand a month or more with his car payments alone. I know some you tubers make good money. Others put on a charade to pretend how wealthy they are.

24. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’ll take your word on it, don’t want to add to his bottom line by clicking on his video!

AD211, stavura and SoCal to az like this.
  25. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Which is a shame b/c it drives others to thinking YouTube is a money making machine, despite the fact no one ever actually gives a straight answer, yet they'll dedicate a 10-minute video to the question.... These bloggers don't want to disclose (which is perfectly fine) that their money is more likely coming from more traditional means like a business owner or family-backing as making money on YouTube becomes more difficult each year as they constantly change the monetization rules. It's only eye-brow raising when they address the question of income with shady explanations.

In Shmee's case based on his viewership & Google usually taking around half a video's income, he's estimated to be earning around $600,000/year on channel views. I'm guessing he's financing every vehicle, as otherwise, it would lend some credibility to a few claims that his family actually owns a higher end clothing brand/store, and he finds some revenue from that. Which sounds a bit more believable than his claim that he started a small electronics shop in London, sold it to become a ski instructor, then worked for an investment consulting firm only to leave that so he could devote his full time to YouTube. YouTube isn't affording anyone a Senna with under a million views per average on each video.