F8 - Drove the F8 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F8 Drove the F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BlueFerrari458, Nov 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. 720 and F8 is fast enough. I’m on the list for the LT version but at this point don’t know if I even want it. Will it be significantly better than my 720 and worth the financial hit? Not sure and it’s probably the same internal discussion many are having with their 488 and F8 upgrades.

Never really cared for the 570 as I felt the turbo lag was too much with it.

My Pista- that’s a long term keeper! (That means more than 2 years). Lol

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Based on the numbers that the Pista put down, the F8 should be near identical to the 720 in a straight line, or round a circuit for that matter. If all you care about is straight-line speed, you can always build a 1000+ HP monstrosity... If you care about how a car drives though, all you have to do is try it out and decide for yourself.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #103 ryalex, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    I got a couple of miles in a demo today. The car was already warm and I drove mostly in Race. Thoughts:
    • Steering wheel is much more thin and compact than the 458 wheel, which was noticeable immediately. Everything obviously new and tight feeling.
    • It had the manual sports seats. I fit fine, but they're too firm for as much as I drive. I'd order something closer to the cushy Daytonas from the 458.
    • I can't add any useful criticism about the sound. It's muffled and slightly raspy. I don't like it compared to the 458 (who does?). I don't know what could be done within warranty limitations.
    • My friends who were with me and also tested it did not like the rear view out the Lexan - it is fairly distorted... but I wouldn't care, I'd get it anyway.
    • Agree that the power is pretty mind-blowing. Almost a dizzy/disoriented feeling on WOT.
    • That said, the linear throttle and power of the 458 makes it much easier to push through turns and to drift with control. To the extent the Alfa has a 505hp V6 engine of similar block/design, the turbo power curve did seem familiar. I was able to kick the tail out a little on the F8 but didn't have enough time to really get comfortable, and the zip of the turbo makes it a little more on edge.
    • I wouldn't bother with too much CF otherwise though, especially around the bottom of the car it's just going to get hashed and chipped. Maybe the inlet wings.
    Admittedly I have very limited 488 experience (2 drives?) and it's been over 6 months, so I'm not the guy to ask on that.

On the one hand I loved it, and as I mentioned in another thread, this may be as close to a modern 288 as I ever find... but it didn't make me swoon enough to think I needed a deposit today. Maybe before the run ends.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11, RoyalPink and of2worlds like this.
  4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Living in the mountains one can see them much better and smell the smells better with the top down. And when l pass another car l can hear what it sounds like. Works for me.

ferrarifanatic25 and of2worlds like this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have a question- is this normal for Ferrari to do a test drive tour? I know they will take their demo car and ship it all over the country and the different dealerships will have launch parties.

But this is the first time I recall that they had test drives lined up? I’m scheduled to bow drive next Thursday evening.

Am I wrong that this is something new or have they always done this with the 488 and 458 before it?

sampelligrino likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

When I ordered my 488 GTB in late 2017 I hadn't even driven one. There were no demo models and for that matter second hand cars.

In 2018 they ended up having a demo. Ferrari has forced them to have a demo car of each model. We got to see the F8 but not drive. They have told me their demo will be here 1st quarter 2020. Looks like Ferrari your way is allowing drives so as to get orders.

7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Towbin has a text notification system now that has sent me notices about the unveiling and/or test drive days for the past few new cars. I then texted my salesman for a time, which was super formal. JK it was "can I come by at 1130?" "Yes"

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I am signed-up at Towbin for this Friday starting at 11 am. I signed up for F8, 812, and Phantom

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

of2worlds and ryalex like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    With the corporate plan to increase sales by enticing first time buyers, dealers, with all regular production models, will eventually have demo cars available.

10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think Ferrari has some high number of new models they want allocated to first time buyers. Makes sense. Does anyone know the corporate goal?

11. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    #111 jim g, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    The only other time I was able to drive a demo of the new car I was getting was in 1999 360 Modena.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The times, they are a changing.

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Dealer confirmed that 1" lowering of car does not require new springs if car does not have suspension lift option. If car has the suspension lift, Novitec springs must replace the stock springs.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So they’ll need new springs because the lift option on these cars are a must.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Says who?? Didn’t need it on my 488 in almost 3 years of ownership

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Where I live in Pittsburgh it’s certainly necessary. I’ve scraped the hell out of my NSX bc it doesn’t have one. Thankfully the bumper is plastic. If it was carbon I’d be pissed.

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Did you have your 488 lowered ?

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No. but inch isn’t going to do anything as the damn thing sits up like a 4x4.

This has been debated to death. The need for a lift.

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #119 Shadowfax, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    It’s just the gap between the top of the wheel and the body but the car actually sits very low to the ground as it is. The underbody hight is also already much the same as my Gt cars.

To drop it an inch is quite a bit and on the country and city roads I drive that would result in some scraping for sure.

On the odd occasion my 488 copped a few scrapes underneath from undulations at speed and if it was lowered it would have been pretty nasty. I think if one is seriously considering lowering a car like this they really need to seriously think about how and where they plan driving their car - or more to the point do they even plan driving it beyond a boulevard cruise.

The problem is in the way the car has been set up both physically and suspension wise because my Gt2 appears to visually sit lower having no visual wheel gap, yet can be pushed at the same speeds over the same roads and hasn’t scraped once.
    This one needs Ferrari to properly resolve as it goes beyond just lowering the car. The visual position of the body in relativity to the top of the wheel also needs to be factored in and it hasn’t.

PhilNotHill and of2worlds like this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

But if you look at the F8 they really have done something differently for the first time. Something I see that many don't. Look at the F8 there are NO PAINTED panels at the bottom , first time ever. You either have black plastic or carbon if you wish. The black plastic imo is the best and hell if it gets a scrape the part actually will be cheap. Notice its all around the car, front sills and even rear bumper.

Jo Sta7 and ryalex like this.
  21. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I’m gonna say it’s the new normal.
    If the Roma gets a similar roll-out, we’ll know with certainty.
    My dealer, which must be a smaller one based on volume, is ordering a demo F8 to have on hand for test drives. They’ve done it w Lambo for years but this is their first f car. Not sure if it’s a dealership decision exclusively or if the Head Office is gently “encouraging” it in order to me meet new sales goals.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    When this was announced the number quoted was thirty-five percent allocation for new buyers!
    Conquest sales...

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

My dealer said it was Ferrari Head Office demanding

24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    100% agree. The 355 it is a stress because you paint it and want to k----scrraaaaape again! Then you get over it and drive it with the scraped to Hell nose for a couple years, repaint it again then think ok this time I'm going to be re--- scrrraaaaaaape

PhilNotHill, MANDALAY and Jo Sta7 like this.
  25. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    That’s interesting
    Imagine being a dealer who, already having pretty stringent requirements for the honor of selling f cars, now needs to buy One? Multiple? Models to have on hand for test drives. Pricey.
    That’s gotta sting.