430 - power retractable license plate | FerrariChat

430 power retractable license plate

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eamezcua, Dec 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eamezcua

Eamezcua Rookie

Nov 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ernesto amezcua
    #1 Eamezcua, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Hello to all! I am new here and first of all, this is a fantastic site with tons of information, congratulations to all members and to the wonderful community.!
    My question is; has anyone ever tried to install a power retractable license plate? Where I live there are speed cameras everywhere and let's face it, it is very very easy to go over the speed limit with a Scuderia, has anyone tried this? Any suggestions? Best regards!
    PS My main concerns are, not ruining the aerodynamics of this beautiful car! And of course, maintaining esthetics... And at the same time maintaining my driving license intact!

2. Zeus 1

Zeus 1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2015
    Lost Wages Nevada
    Full Name:
    Bill Z

3. Zeus 1

Zeus 1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2015
    Lost Wages Nevada
    Full Name:
    Bill Z
    Potentially a very very bad idea, don't do it. Although it does sound cool.

4. Eamezcua

Eamezcua Rookie

Nov 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ernesto amezcua
    Thanks for your reply Zeus, can you elaborate on your comment?
    Regards

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    He means, be legal.

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I have designed one for one of my other cars that retracts when the ignition is shut off and reappears when the car is started. Purely for cosmetic reasons.
    Not what you are looking for but of course it can be done.

But with that said, I would think if you were stopped by the law, they would not appreciate your efforts-- if you get my drift... (no pun intended)

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  8. Eamezcua

Eamezcua Rookie

Nov 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ernesto amezcua
    Ooohhh got it! thanks...

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have something like this on my track-prepped Miata except it's not powered. Personally, I don't see a need to have it powered as it adds weight/air obstruction and is just one more thing to break. Also, it is really easy to manually hide the plate. On my mount, you just flip the top of the plate down so the plate is parallel with the ground, and then slide it back under the car along a slide. Works great.

For my scud, I have a Sto n' Show mount. Basically, a small mounting plate (2"x2") sticks to the underside of the splitter with double-sided 3M tape (not visible unless you look under the splitter). The plate has two small tubes about 2.5" long and with a diameter similar to that of a pencil. The plate mount has two rods that are received in the tubes and it locks in place with a spring-loaded detent. Works great and is very minimalist. I keep the plate and mount in the storage compartment in one of those trunk organizers. After living with this set up for the past 5 years, I wouldn't go with any other solution.