Ecu failure visit dealer | FerrariChat

Ecu failure visit dealer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by freddie royal, Nov 8, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    When accelerating very hard with the RPMs around 6000 I get ECU failure visit dealer. Once I back down off of it to around 3,000 RPMs the ECU failure light goes off in about 30 seconds. Anyone had a similar issue. Also at the 6000 RPMs it feels like the car is missing.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    2010 California?

Do you have an OBD2 reader?

3. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    No I dont. Also the code goes away after 30 seconds

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    With that excellent explanation of the problem and the abundance of information given, I'd say your best bet is to take the car's advice and visit dealer :rolleyes:.

5. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    Ok thank you

6. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    The engine light goes away but the code does not go away the code changes state it will now be a stored code rather than an active code. The dealer will be able to read it.

7. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    Ok thank you very much

8. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    I went to the dealer they said it had no codes. I changed all the plugs and coil packs still same problem any help will do?

9. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    This makes no sense at all - the check engine light was on, the message on the Instrument panel is basically telling you what to do when the CEL is on. Unless you waited too long after the CEL came on then it might not have codes.
    Here is how it works - when you drive your car the computer runs a series of tests in the background, if a test fails it sets the check engine light and records a code in the memory
    If the car passes all the tests that is called a "Good trip" depending on the type of code that was set it may be erased after 3 good trips while some types of codes will stay in memory as a stored code until somebody erases it.
    So how often does this problem happen - did you go to the dealer after several 'good trips' and it self erased the code? Did the dealer have an explanation for the problem?

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    6000 rpm is not really abnormal or very hard acceleration and you should also state what car and what model year otherwise there is no context to your post. Qavion and I had to delve into your profile to make out what you were concerned about.

Given the age of your 2010 car, your problem can also be caused by heavily degraded catalytic converter(s). That problem can cause misfiring-like symptoms when you accelerate, which then subside when you reduce throttle. The car actually loses power when you accelerate harder. Chunks of broken catalyst break off and block the exhaust path at higher throttle and when the exhaust velocity drops, they fall back from the exhaust path due to gravity and the exhaust can work adequately again. If your car is frequently driven in heavy traffic and shorter trips, or simply have very high mileage (unlikely) your cats can have this problem.

The reverse can also happen. An ignition or engine problem can cause unburnt fuel or leaking oil to poison one or both cats, causing premature failure. This should not occur if the car is properly serviced.

Beetle and Reid like this.
  11. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Which dealer did you take it to? I don’t believe there’s one near you.

12. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    I took it to Ferrari of Arlington, Virginia (James). I have a 2010 Ferrari California with 28,000 miles. I drove the car for 150 miles straight with no problem but as soon as I get into it like 6000 or 7000 rpm it says ECU Failure visit dealer. The dealer said there were no codes. I have another appointment for this Thursday so they can look again. Does anyone suggest Seafoam, or fuel injection cleaner?

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    a) take it to the dealer
    b) have service rep sit in the car while you drive it and cause the code to show up
    c) have rep take picture of the dash while the code is displayed
    d) repeat several times

johnk... likes this.
  14. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    Ok latest update. dropped off the car on Monday to the dealer Ferrari of Washington. Service tech drove the car Monday, Tuesday several times, then James the service advisor drove it Wednesday they were not able to produce the fault. I picked up the car at 12 today and fill it up with gas and tighten the gas cap until it clicks 3 times. I take off with the paddle shifters up to 6000 to 7000 rpms and bam here comes the ecu failure go to dealer. I turn around and go to the dealer pissed. He scanned the code and it said cylinder 8 misfire. He clears the code and said it might be because I just got fuel. But he said to be on the safe side he wanted to switch the ecu's to see if the code would come back. I drive it again and bam ecu failure at 6000 rpms. I take it back and he scans it and it say cylinder 8 misfire. So I have new plugs and new coil packs, and switched the ecu's and still cylinder 8 misfire. The dealer said he would do some more test on Monday. He has no idea what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Maybe injector?

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 4th_gear, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Your dealer should have examined the condition of the old spark plug in cylinder 8 for evidence of the kind of problem causing that cylinder to misfire. You never throw away original spark plugs when you have engine-related issues. They should have been labeled cylinder numbers and carefully examined and compared against each other.

If a plug is wet with oil, you may have an valve guide seal or cylinder ring issue with that cylinder. Dealer would need to do compression test. If plug has white or brown deposits you may have coolant getting into the cylinder from a compromised head gasket or warped head.

Hot spots in the cylinder can also cause misfires as carbon deposits heat up quickly at high engine revs and pre-ignite the fuel mixture causing detonation. Direct injection engines like the ones on the Cali and 458 can experience carbon deposit problems around the intake valves because they are no longer “cleaned” by the injectors, as they were with port injection engines. The carbon deposits can become hot spots at high engine revs and pre-ignite the fuel, causing cylinder-specific misfires. The dealer has to inspect the intake valves to determine if this is the cause, obviously that would require more labour. Repairs often involve entire head replacement. Ditto with leaking valve stem oil seal.

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Should also mention if you have oil or coolant contamination your exhaust will also exhibit various degrees of coloured smoke but pre-ignition, detonation don’t.

18. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    Thanks very much, the dealer checked the old plugs and they were not bad. They also did a compression test on cylinder 8 and it checked out good thank god. They said it might be fuel injectors or a wiring problem. But the fault has been cylinder 8. After resetting it 5 or 6 times the fault stays there. When the dealer did the freeze frame for the fault it was in the exact same rpm's 5998 and that happened 3 times. The only thing that's not factory is a radar detector and a pioneer aftermarket radio.

19. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    Also I have aftermarket Armani wheels on the car

20. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    Ok latest update. The dealer said I have a hair line crack on the left exhaust manifold. 6000.00 repair but not sure that's all. They have to fix that first. Could a hairline crack on exhaust manifold cause a misfire on cylinder 8

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Which cylinder is closest to the crack? Rev speed would increase exhaust pressure on the manifold and open up the crack, depending on the location of the crack. Release of exhaust through the crack would unbalance the scavenging of exhaust gases from one cylinder on the bank opposite to the bank where the crack is located. As revs increase I suspect scavenging plays an increasingly more critical role in ensuring hot gases are properly expelled from combustion chambers. If loss of scavenging prevents complete expulsion of hot gases this could theoretically cause premature detonation of fresh fuel mixture entering that cylinder (i.e. misfire). Once the ECU detects detonation it will likely retard engine revs to protect the engine. So the crack may not be at #8 but actually near or at the previous cylinder in the firing order which appears to be #4, if the web source of my information is correct.

Actually, I thought it was your aftermarket wheels. ;)

22. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    Thank you very much I ordered the parts they should be in Tuesday so I will update after I install both new exhaust manifolds. Curious why would you think the aftermarket wheels?

23. freddie royal

freddie royal Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Chesterfield, Virginia
    Full Name:
    freddie royal
    I ordered both sides of the exhaust manifold, but while I was waiting I installed the factory wheels back on the car. I've been driving the car for 3 days and no check engine or ECU failure. Is there anyway the aftermarket wheels could be causing the ECU failure on cylinder 8. The wheels are 315/30/22 and 255/35/22. The wheels originally came on a Aston Martin DB9 2010

24. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hmmm... both that and the colour of your brake calipres, if you know what I mean. ;)

25. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    terrible post, no info the guy doesn't even say what type of car it is til 2nd page. Also comment about your wheels was obviously a joke buddy, the poster wasn't serious. Keep us updated.