Mick Schumacher | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Mick Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Mick Schumacher hasn't be outstanding for his first year in F2, it has to be said.
    If he isn't a lot better next year (among the top 3), I think he can forget about F1.
    F1 picks only the best from F2, unless you buy yourself a seat in a lesser team; I don't think Mick Schumacher wants that.

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Either I was not remembering it clearly or I was remembering clearly but the place where I read it got it wrong, because I´ve googled it and there was a Roger Clark, rally driver of the 60s and 70s, but not related to Jim Clark.

The Google search also revealed other brothers I was not aware of: Pascal Ickx, Robin Brundle, Sven Heidfel, Jakob Kristensen and Rami Raikkonen. And many more. It seems that motorsport is a family business after all.

3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    But Max has been known to be an outstanding talent since karting, which is not the case with Mick...

lorenzobandini and william like this.
  4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

There are different routes into F1.
    Earlier success in other Formulas is no guarantee of F1 success.

Nuvolari and lorenzobandini like this.
  5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Indeed - Max soundly beat LeClerc in karts, but Charles is certainly F1 and WDC material.

william likes this.
  6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Max was not in F2.
    He's doing ok in F1

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I see that you are desperate to prove your case.
    Mick Schumacher is not a revelation like Verstappen who was promoted to F1 directly from F3.
    He doesn't look he is in the same class as the latest arrivals from F2 like Albon, Russell or Norris.
    I don't dismiss him completely, but next year will be crucial for him.

Flavio_C, tifosi12 and jpalmito like this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Success in lower formulas is essential to gather enough points for a Superlicense.

9. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Mick Schumacher won the F3 Championship.
    Good car or not, it counts for something.

Maybe Mick will join the Red Bull F1 programme

10. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I wouldn't say Max "soundly beat" Leclerc. 2013 was a special year for Max because he won the world championship in shifter karts (KZ) with Leclerc coming in third, but in 2011 Leclerc was the junior world champion.

11. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Have you followed the 2018 Euro F3 Championship? In the last two chmapionship events (6 races in total) all Prema cars had an abnormal advantage. Schumacher was lagging behing Dan Ticktum during the whole championship before that.

Anyway, I truly believe it would be awesome to have Mick Schumacher in F1, but only if he really deserves. There are a lot of very talented drivers whose careers were cut short because a "protegè" or rich kid got the place in F1. See De Vryes & Lafiti for example.

SimCity3 likes this.
  12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

And ART was the dominant team and car for Hamilton's success.

Meanwhile, this would be fun

https://gulfnews.com/sport/motorsport/lewis-hamilton-and-michael-schumacher-on-the-same-team-it-could-happen-1.65643990

13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    william and SimCity3 like this.
  14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for reminding me of Piquet Jr. There is another son-failure. Epic one. Even if Mick doesn't develop any further, he'd still be faster than that guy.

SimCity3 likes this.
  15. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    I think he will eventually show up in F1. Maybe not a top team, but I think his name recognition alone would attract enough sponsorship and attention for a lower team to justify hiring him. Applying a similar thought process to Kubica's return, there is a sympathetic/marketing side to the F1 circus that cannot ignore driver name recognition. Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know. Look at how he has already been involved in many peripheral F1 events.

Thecadster and william like this.
  16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn't agree more.

17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Are you sure? Piquet Jr was three times karting national champion, south american F3 champion, F3 british champion when the F3 UK was the most competitive formula championship at that time with his own team from Brazil, and 2nd on GP2 only to Hamilton... After F1 he got victories in Nascar, Rallycross, and became the first champion in F-E... He is fast, talented, and has results under his belt ... In a hypothetical race Piquet Jr against Schumacher Jr, I would bet my money on the former hands down.

jpalmito and william like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I think Nelson Jr could have gone further. Unfortunately at Renault he was paired with Alonso who was Briatore's protegé.
    The whole truth is that Briatore completely ****ed up his career, and Piquet Jr never recovered from it. Not in F1 anyway.
    I

jpalmito likes this.
  19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He collected 19 points total over two seasons. That puts him pretty much towards the very end of the grid (comparing that to the here much maligned Lance Stroll, that's even less than have of Stroll's points). In the same time his team mate collected four times as many points.

He was totally out of his depth in F1. His father was brilliant. Jr. not so much.

Flavio_C likes this.
  20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't blame Briatore for the short F1 career. Flavio saw how hopeless a case Piquet Jr. was and did the only useful thing with him in sacrificing him in crashgate. IMHO a very creative move. Piquet's career was over before the Singapore GP. That just accelerated the inevitable.

Piquet Jr. was a Michael Andretti by another name.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ferrari stated that Mick will NOT be in the 2021 F1 Ferrari.

That's interesting from the perspective that it would be his first chance to move into F1 AND it is also the year we expect Vettel no longer to be at Ferrari. That said, if he does well next year, they might put him into an Alfa seat.

william likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If ....

23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He will have to do very well vs his contemporaries. The name is superb yet the talent is not showing as strongly as others. I can see a serious test but not a seat yet.

william likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

At the moment, any comparison with his father isn't very flattering for young Schumacher.

jpalmito likes this.
  25. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I'am sorry to say that but Mick was very disappointing in formula 2 this year.
    How could you imagine for one second he was in contention for a Ferrari seat in 2021? ( don't want to be rude )
    Schumacher name isn't everything and we have to stop looking back
    Leclerc is the future ( his formula 2 numbers already gave us clear indications)

william likes this.