1966 aluminum Ferrari 275 GTB searching for | Page 7 | FerrariChat

1966 aluminum Ferrari 275 GTB searching for

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by asgtech, Dec 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #151 miurasv, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    @Mr Gagarin: Do you remember the kind of air filter your car had? The reason I ask is that my father owned a 330 GT 2+2 in the early 1970s when I was about 7 or 8 years old, and I do remember the kind of air filter it had. The early 330 GT 2+2 S1 came with snorkelled and non snorkelled air filters also, although they all had 3 double choke Webers, never 6.

Please see my post showing the different types of air filters used on the 275 here.

2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Factory roll bar?

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  3. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    I really don't remember the outside of the air cleaner. However, I do remember that the inside of the air cleaner looked like the one in your post # 123. Because of the traumatic experience of dropping one of the acorn nuts down the throat of one of the carbs, the position of the 17 or more holes for studs in the bottom gasket looks very familiar. I even think that the acorn nut was on the the third stud from the left in the center and went down the lower barrel third from the left as I was lifting it out. That was a REALLY scary moment that is burned into my memory.

Andrew Gagarin

Tenney and of2worlds like this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes.

Marcel Massini

Tenney likes this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No, by a former colonel of the Swiss Air Force.

Marcel Massini

Edward 96GTS and of2worlds like this.
  6. Joseph Trybulec

Feb 11, 2019
    Bentonville, Arkansas USA
    Full Name:
    Joseph Trybulec

If you had insurance on the car, check with the insurance company to retrieve the cars VIN number

7. gulsoni

gulsoni Rookie

Dec 20, 2010
    Canberra
    Full Name:
    Ray Gulson

8. gto4me1968

gto4me1968 Rookie

Nov 29, 2014
    Maple Valley, WA
    Amazing amount of historical information available out there...I'm excited to see how this turns out for Mr. Gagarin.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    In a attempt to help alleviate your mental scars, I’m quite sure your experience is/was far from unique. :rolleyes:

In fact, I recall number of years ago having an assistant who managed to do same with a 365 GTB/4* I had in the shop at the time.
    He was literally shaking when informing me of the mishap and said he’d appreciate if he never have to work on such set-up again. :(

* Also with six 2-barrel Webers.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. davidy7

davidy7 Rookie

Sep 23, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    David Y
    Imagine if you had kept the car till now. It may be one of your best investments. Hope you can connect with your lost love.

11. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013

Attached Files:

colombo2cam and of2worlds like this.
  12. John Rice

John Rice Rookie

Apr 25, 2007
    Regarding the color: I was just trying to figure out the color also. I was attempting to get the color of the yellow Ferrari badge "just right". The license plate looks close but isn't the correct yellow color lighter and more of a crisp neutral shade? My results were close to this and not worth posting. Great story!

of2worlds likes this.
  13. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Yeah, that's too saturated. It's more like this
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

colombo2cam likes this.
  15. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    I don't have much to add other than to say this is a lovely thread.

rampante550, ChipG, JAM1 and 4 others like this.
  16. I would also like to add how much I have enjoyed this thread. What a great community to be able to add all this information to Mr Gagarin's knowledge.

One thing that strikes me is that at the time of the original purchase Mr Gagarin was simply looking for a Ferrari and wasn't model specific. Mr Coradini had two 275 GTB's and a 250 Berlinetta Lusso. Imagine having picked the 250 and then keeping her for all this time! A lifetime of exceptional motoring followed by a huge payout if you could ever stomach the thought of parting with her!

rampante550 likes this.
  17. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    I do feel better knowing that it happened to someone else. The good news is that it is the only reason I remember what the carb setup looked like.

of2worlds and TTR like this.
  18. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    I'm currently searching the NY Times Sunday edition to find the ad when I sold it. So far the date range of when I think I sold it doesn't appear to be correct. I will find it in another day or so.

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The picture of the air filter box in my post 123 is of a non original after market box and a correct original air filter does not look like that. An original 6 carb air filter box does not have the 2 bars going across the top giving the impression of 3 sections and therefore possibly a 3 x 4 barrel set up underneath as you thought.

I know you have said there were 12 intakes but could it actually have been the case that what you actually saw were the 3 separate round air filter elements that are only in the 3 carb air filter box which made you think it was a 3 x 4 barrel set up? See diagram below. The non snorkelled air filter also has the 3 round elements inside the filter box.

Both the correct snorkelled and non snorkelled 6 carb air filters have one large oval filter element that runs around the perimeter of the air box as below which is a diagram of a 275 GTB/4 cam air box but the single oval element, and the box internally would have been the same as on a 2 cam 6 carb car.

20. Twr944

Twr944 Rookie

Dec 8, 2012
  21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    We have a winner! Great work. I wonder if the seller in Philadelphia still has that Cal spyder?

fiatosca, of2worlds and Nembo1777 like this.
  22. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    Unfortunately I don't recall either the air filter or the elements. What I do recall is the bolt pattern in post #123.
    I'm trying to locate the ad, so far unsuccessfully, in the hope that it might be helpful. However, I was under the impression that all 275 GTB's came with 3 four barrel carbs, and that all were alloy. Therefore I don't think I would have mentioned it in the ad. I only learned that they all weren't alloy a few years ago and that they all weren't 3 four barrel Webers in the thread. I'm a little embarrassed at my ignorance.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    That's the ad!!!!! So much for my memory. I thought I kept it longer. I advertised it for a month or more so I'll look around that date for a better image. Thanks so much for your help!
    Andy Gagarin

24. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    Here's a clearer version from 8/23/1970. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I know I said I sold it for $5000 but I was wrong. I also thought I sold it in 1971-1973. I'm surprised I didn't keep it longer. However, it does make sense now that I know the date. I was racing a Formula Ford at the time and didn't have time for the Ferrari. I was going off to business school in the fall and my father was bugging me to get it out of the garage.

It also changes the date that the muffler was replaced. I do remember my father asking what I wanted for my birthday and replying a new muffler. He asked "How much?" and when I replied $500, he said he would split it with me. That means that the muffler was done at Chenetti's between roughly Nov. 15 -30, 1969.

The ad is also interesting in that it confirms that I didn't mention that it was alloy or had six carbs because I thought they were all that way.

25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Doubtful since it apparently was priced for “quick sale”. ;)
    I also love the fact that nobody seemed too concerned about the chassis (nor matching) numbers*.
    “Hey, it’s a Ferrari. Runs good. Do you want it or not ?”

*Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if G.R. or M.M. were responding to some of the ads with “What’s the chassis number, please ?” :D

375+ likes this.