Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 128 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    I’m just messing with you Zeus ;) This conversation made my Friday afternoon more enjoyable, thanks for that.

Now back to the F8.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I drove the F8...it’s a very nice car, but in my opinion it has no soul. I own a Scuderia, 16M, and an Aperta. I wouldn’t trade any of them straight up for an F8.

elmadi, Surfah, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jumpinjohn and Ash Patel like this.
  4. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    On behalf of the Academy and all Ferrari drivers everywhere I gladly accept this award!

Surfah, Shadowfax, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Apart from the sound, where did the F8 lack?

6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I liked the F8 and I wouldn’t hesitate to add one to the stable. I thought it drove very nicely, was fast, nimble and connected.

bwshihtzu likes this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Has no soul is an empty comment that describes nothing,

8. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    It simply means it doesn’t feel the same as any of the cars I mentioned. It’s quick, it’s fast, it stops on a dime, but it just doesn’t feel like the next generation of Ferrari. There’s no rumble in the seat, no vibration, no connection to the road, and an overall generic driving experience.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually you are wrong because this is very much the next generation of Ferrari. But I understand where you are coming from completely. This is why the GT versions are becoming more and more attractive to the usual (enthusiast) Ferrari buyer.

Coincid and Bundy like this.
  10. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Maybe more attractive and maybe not. The 488 GTB has not been well received due to its softer, more GT-ish character.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    First conclusions from the Ferrari litterature comparisons:
    - the F8 has marginally lower performance than the Pista (which is consistent, the noticeable advantage for the Pista being its lower weight)
    - the "rev limiter wall effect" - allowing to "freely rev up to 8,000 rpm" seems to be a new feature for the F8 (it's not mentioned for the Pista); while there are evidences that the 488 GTB does not rev to 8,000 rpm (except maybe in very specific conditions) and the F8 does, I wonder where is the Pista in this regard.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Vibration is not connection to the road. The feeling through the steering is.

13. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I realize that...hence the comma separation between the items I listed.:) The steering is much more GT’ish and feels different than most of the rear/mid-engine Ferrari’s I’ve owned or driven. As I mentioned, it is a very nice car that is quick and responsive. Just not something I will add to my stable at this time.

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I can comprehend now what you mean. However, the rumble and vibration to the seat has little to do with car- driver feedback. That is a function of the demeaner of the engine. The real feedback and connection between car and driver emanates primarily from the suspension and the steering . When the suspension is tuned to provide the feel of the road surface without excessive compliance, that enhances the car -driver connection as the car is not insulating the driver from the environment but rather connecting the driver to it. Furthermore, when the steering is tight and direct, there develops a tangible and tactile relationship between the driver's input and the immediacy of the car's response. The car comes to act as an extension of the will and actions of the driver. Immediate and linear throttle response and the appropriately exciting engine sound will additionally add to the essence of the car- driver connection. Personally, these factors are intrinsic to the super car driving experience.

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    see> the F8 doesn't have what the Beach Boys called those "Good Vibrations".:cool:

16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Don't want to beat a dead horse or stir the pot, but I can relate to these sentiments if the F8 is anything like the 488 GTB

I wouldn't say that the 488 GTB didn't have soul, but lacked a bit of it. It still sounded awesome to me, in a different way to the NA stuff. Still felt tight and tossable despite it's fairly big size and weight. But it was missing an edge, some rawness, more of a connection between your hands, the steering wheel/inputs, and front wheels/road surface. It was just so smooth/effortless/comfortable even as I pushed and prodded the car more and more trying to get closer to its limits. It goes fast so effortlessly, it didn't feel as involving (thinking of that adage that it's not about how fast you're going but how fast you feel you're going)

The other side of the coin is that everyone has different priorities or needs, so there are instances where I can see the value and case for the 488 (and probably F8) being better in some regards than a special series/"more raw" car. IMO it's probably a more comfortable of a car to be used more frequently across a variety of situations for what it's worth, rather than being just the weekend fun car. When spending 300-350k+ on a car you might very much want that

With HardTen having that amazing stable of special series V8s, it's a tough act to follow I'm sure...perhaps the more apt comparison in his shoes would be Pista which continues that line vs the "standard" F8

xBox, Bundy, of2worlds and 1 other person like this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Personnally I could not care less about "soul" - I sometimes have the feeling it's another word for exuberant drama (which does not impress me).
    And I'm pretty sure a "soft" 488 GTB or F8 if far sharper than whatever screaming compromised open-top version - but each to their own :p

pilotoCS likes this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Andrew Frankel (famous F1 journalist) said he would never take his wife to the opera in a 458 Speciale! :eek:

DefunctNeurons and Shadowfax like this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It is human nature not to recognize and divulge the shortcomings of what they own until they sell it and replace it. It is for this reason that I view with great scepticism reviews of those who have recently taken possession of their car.

20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I would not take my wife to the opera in any car since she has no interest in the opera.

Shadowfax and of2worlds like this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just to make sure that I become even less popular here (if that's possible), I'd add that the so-called "rawness" has become an artificial position.
    Back in the days, without electronics (and maybe also less advanced technical knowledge) it was necessary to chose between different goals (e.g. sportiness and comfort) when designing a car. Now with adaptive dampers and all electronics trickery it's possible to offer everything in a single car (which will be the mundane, regular car) but for marketing purposes, there is the need for some dramatic variant aiming at people (desperately?) wanting to distinguish themselves.
    Personnally I'll be happy with the cheaper regular version since it actually provides everything I'm looking for (I'd be equally happy with a genuinely more radical version by the way, but the fact is that it's not really needed anymore and therefore has shifted to other goals, which I completely respect but do not understand why there is the need to claim they are different than they actually are).

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Everyone has their specific preferences and priorities. Expressing yours should not cause your popularity to suffer.

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    DOESN'T seem to be the way things work in the F1 section here! :D:D:D:D:D

Shadowfax likes this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Fair enough if you don't like it. One of the problems of modern drivers is that they cannot discern between light steering (which is good) and driving feeling.

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    why doesn't McLaren use ESL?