Ferrari Won't Launch A Dedicated EV Supercar Until After 2025 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Won't Launch A Dedicated EV Supercar Until After 2025

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Igor Ound, Dec 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    https://www.motor1.com/news/387645/ferrari-no-ev-supercar-2025/

Wonder how the last ever ICE Fezza will look like.

Something like a small 2 litre V6 with electric forced induction that sounds and revs in accordance to the accelerator pedal but whose only function is to charge the batteries and has no direct connection to the wheels, which are powered by 1 electric motor each?

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Hopefully everyone will have forgotten about this by then...

Robb

carnutdallas, rampante550 and HotShoe like this.
  3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Well at least we know when the end will be now. :)

I get electric cars but I don't get the idea of electric super cars. Ferrari might as well drop out of F1 and join Formula E! The whole soul of the company, the very basis of which it was founded is street cars built with their technology/knowledge from the track. What's the point of spending hundreds of millions of dollars a year to race when you aren't going to use that advantage in your best street cars?

I guess I'm old and just don't get it.

Robb, jpalmito and paulchua like this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Trust me, I sympathize. To me, the root of Ferrari is racing at the highest levels of competition. That is distilled as pure speed.

Formula E is not there yet since an F1 car will beat a Formula E track under current conditions.

But *if* electric drivetrains eventually prove to be faster cars on the track the same way they've been showing now off the track, well...I argue Enzo would choose a faster car then the better sounding one.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sad times.

daytona355 likes this.
  6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If Formaula E ever replaces F1 I’m done.

Sadly I can’t help but think we are at the pinnacle for automotive enthusiasts. I see it all going down hill from here.

mwr4440, daytona355 and paulchua like this.
  7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't fear this at all anymore. In fact, I'd rather have an all electric Ferrari than a hybrid. This after being driven over a hundred miles in my BFF's Tesla 3. It's awesome!

BOKE, m5shiv, Boomhauer and 1 other person like this.
  8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I always enjoy watching the documentary videos of the factory that begin with the pouring of molten metal to make the engine. Absolutely love that.
    I have a hard time imagining feeling the same excitement if Ferrari were to highlight their battery construction.
    Are they going to make batteries? Electric motors? Someone mentioned construction of a large new building, reportedly for this function.
    Are they going to make the electric motors look like internal combustion, the same way they made some push buttons in the SF 90 kind of look like shifter gates?
    and If they ultimately source their power pack and drive train from China? (Speaking of, does anyone know from where SF90 gets their EV kit?) As others have remarked, when everybody has essentially the same power plant, the only distinguishing features become the human machine interface and cosmetics like what is the logo on the steering wheel.
    I understand it’s the future and every marque including koenigsegg is making big plans for a transition to ev, but
    i’m getting too old for this ****.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Everyone keeps saying “it’s the future” but why?

I fail to see this point as it is merely a stop gap fix. EV’s certainly aren’t much cleaner than ICE from cradle to grave. Not to mention there is no infrastructure in place to support it. If everyone magically switched to EV overnight the country’s existing power grid couldn’t support it. Never mind that power grid is primarily fueled fossil fuels.

That doesn’t even begin to take in account lithium mining, battery disposal, cold weather performance, charging for apartment owners, etc.

I definitely think EVs have their place and will serve their purpose in history but I highly doubt they are in deed some magical “future” solution. All it takes is for a break through in the separation of hydrogen from water and EV is toast.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Because we live in the time of tech as religion. It doesnt matter if its 'better,' all that matters is its new.

mwr4440, thorn, C50 and 3 others like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I certainly understand your position. A large part of what I love about motor races is the sound! However, I truly believe the new generation will like the vacuum cleaner sound more than the scream if my kids and their friends are any indications.

I mean that's really what it boils down too....

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've never supported EVs from the environmental standpoint, for the reasons you've stated above. However, I do think they will eventually be faster, better handling, cheaper, and more reliable than ICE. I firmly believe this. (regardless of their environmental harm/benefit)

My only lamentation in such a world would be the lack of sound, although could a futuristic 'woosh' become the passion of future generations? I think it's already happening.

There are generations after all that had their pulses raise by the sound of the steam cars and locomotives.

G. Pepper and BOKE like this.
  13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Meh, if ferrari move to EV, then I really am happy to die and end it all.... I have no time for this environmentalist ******** we have to listen to every day.... recycle this, don’t do that, plastic something else..... **** it. The world is going through it’s natural cycles.

now then, if governments forced Brazil to stop ****ing the rain forests, and China and India to reduce their emissions from a third world level to that befitting a first world country, then we can talk. Of course, those two things alone, plus shooting poachers of rare wildlife on sight, will stop climate change immediately anyway, so no need for EV ******** then...

oh, and while we are at it, let’s stop the dog festival that those Chinese animals have every year, and maybe put those that fight it’s closure in a ring with some hungry Rhodesian ridgebacks

jpalmito likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The move to EV can actually have more to do with speed then one iota for environmental concerns.

Ferrari = Race = Speed

EV is where speed is headed.

We don't have to like it of course, I don't like fruit cake, yet there it is.

Jaguar36 and G. Pepper like this.
  15. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    All valid points
    I just feel a little melancholy when my favorite decadent bakery specializing in sfogliatella decides to to go gluten-free vegan fruit cake.

jpalmito, daytona355 and paulchua like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    :)
    smoke em if you got em boys!!!

C50 likes this.
  17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's the future, just a sad one for Petrolheads

jpalmito and paulchua like this.
  18. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    G. Pepper likes this.
  19. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    And Skoda Motors can wind a better motor than ANY of the Italians.

Pretty pieces of junk are still Junk, no matter what 'label'* you put on it.

* - Ferrari, Lambo, McClaren, Mauser, etc. will just be hollow 'Labels' w/o an ICE under the hood.

jpalmito likes this.