lack sf90 interest? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

lack sf90 interest?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by 95spiderman, Oct 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nothing inherently bad in having two powerplants. On the contrary, this way one can take advantage of the pros of both solutions. Surely, there is a weight and complexity penalty, but there are many advantages, some of which you have mentioned yourself. According to the company, there won't be an electric Ferrari until 2025 at the earliest, and that will still depend on the state of technology at that time: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a30208385/electric-ferrari-coming-after-2025/

For now though pure electrics have some big disadvantages (high speed performance, range, recharging time, and for us enthusiasts the lack of a distinct driving character - all electric motors feel the same - and sound). Hybrids preserve the ICE and add performance and eco credentials (most of us don't care about the latter, but Governments and manufacturers do).

PS: I too prefer the solution found in the LaFerrari.

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Slightly off topic...I dont see how 918 and P1 keep their prices with newer and better cars hitting next year, like the SPF90.
    P1’s are already near Senna pricing.

Jo Sta7 and 95spiderman like this.
  3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t know either.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The future is super capacitors. They are light, can be built into the design of the car as it can incorporated into the body. They are self charging. Zero emissions. Unfortunately, still years away.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    What's inherently bad is you have two when only one is needed. More complexity, cost, components, weight and less inherent reliability.

MANDALAY likes this.
  6. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I believe the P1 will have a tougher time since it is a turbo hybrid and one where McLaren was not able to get rid of the turbo lag even with an electric motor. I am sure that the SF90S will have no lag whatsoever. The 918 at least still has the NA motor. On the plus side the P1 is pretty limited so that may provide some sort of a floor.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When have objective qualities ever really determined the price of rare/exotic cars? People pay millions for standard Ferraris and Aston's in body kits.

Also, what makes you think an SF90 is better?

1. 918 is highly limited/special/bespoke.
    2. 918 is arguably just better looking.
    3. It sounds better.
    4. The top comes off.
    5. All testing was done on tires from like 7 years ago now. Take every 918 performance measurement and massively improve it with the latest Cup2/R tires and it will probably still be the same or higher performance than the SF90.

As for the P1. Park on next to an SF90 and see who people flock to. The reality is that the P1 still looks like a hypercar and is known to be one, and it's rare. SF90 looks like a new V8 Ferrari, not a limited LF-like car. The SF90 design could have just as easily suited the F8 model.

BJK, imahorse, Ryan13 and 3 others like this.
  8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There is a lack of interest in the exotic market in general. It's saturated, the performance is meaningless, the social media has gone stale/overwhelming, the forums all over are slow.

The golden era of the modern exotic was from like 2008-16. Everyone was anticipating the next model in what was a market with few options that only got replaced once every 5-10 years. 10 year Murcie, 10 year Gallado, V8 and V12 Ferraris, nothing else.

Nowadays it doesn't even matter what cars come out because the wait for the next one is shorter than every. Don't like this years new Ferrari? No worries, another manufacturer will be releasing something in 6 months, then again in 12 months, then again in 18 months, then a hypercar, then a halo car, then a...

The exotic market is no longer than "exotic".

imahorse, Makuono and ScrappyB like this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #184 REALZEUS, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Each powerplant has its strong points and makes a positive contribution. You come across as a bit of a technophobe.

1) Rarity doesn't have an influence on the car itself.
    2) A matter of taste; personally I find the Stradale more eye pleasing.
    4) Some may regard that as a disadvantage.
    5) Doubtful.

Of course it still is. The progress is just faster. Progress is good!!!

Kabbs, x z8 and KenU like this.
  10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Every new exotic sold, unless it ends up in scrap yard, means one more exotic on the street. The cars have to end up somewhere at the end of the day. That means you see them way more, they are way more accessible, and thus less "exotic". As a kid, I can't even remember how many Lamborghinis I saw. Rarely would I see a yellow Diablo or something like that in the midwest.

Nowadays I see exotics pretty often even in the suburbs. They are much much much more common nowadays, thus less "exotic" and more mere "luxury".

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Oh, all these years I was under the impression that exotic cars are meant to drive well. I am now informed that they are supposed to be rare. Silly me...

KenU and Makuono like this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Actually many years experience in designing spacecraft and other high reliability electronic and electro-mechanical systems. Any time you add components you have the issues I related. Play with a multi-physics tool a bit and you will see what drives weight and failure rates and ultimately production and service costs. Could make sense for redundancy in special environments to mitigate multiple simultaneous failures but illogical in a passenger car given the appropriateness of current engine technology. Hybrids are a design concept looking for a justification IMO.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I wholeheartedly agree, but if we stuck to that logic we would still be driving around in horse drawn carriages.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I didn't have much interest learning about the SF90 until I saw a YouTube video of the engine compartment. That engine looked impossibly low...I'm interested in how they designed it like that...maybe part illusion with the intake manifold shorter than on predecessor Fcar V8s??? The dash and steering wheel looked like a nice upgrade too.

Well if that means there will be a Valkyrie for under a million at some point please let me know as I'll buy it.

95spiderman likes this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Advanced technology would make its way into production uses. The components would get fewer and more capable I would assume. Never would you add components just to increase complexity, cost, weight and servicing. But you'd always have the most advanced technology appropriate for the use.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Even more surprisingly impressive when seen in the flesh! (to these eyes anyway:))

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #192 Simon^2, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Let's see... original price over $3M,... 150 examples.

Your only chance is if Stefan Eriksson gets his hands (and right foot) on one and takes it for a spin (literally) on the PCH.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree
    Next global economic crisis will " solve " this problem

19. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I agree, and think the rear in particular looks terrible. BUT, I also very much believe that you can never judge a car from pics, or even a preview event.

It needs to be seen on the road.

For example, (almost) all the initial negative reactions to the 720S front lights vanished when people saw them in the carbon.

However, my biggest problem with the SF90 is that it is a super heavy car with very limited e-power, that quickly runs out. It will be quick enough on road though, where that e-torque will be great. Useless on track.

My i8 does that - great on road, but useless after a few laps on track. It has a near identical drive-train system to SF90, albeit a lot less power (and weight).

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    What an awful car on the track. Between laps 1 and 3 it lost 10 mph on the main straight when I tested it! Also, huge understeer due to the narrow front tyres. That said, the Stradale should be nothing like it.

21. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Because the 918 and P1 both look 100% better than the SF90!

95spiderman likes this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    And one massive explosion if it shorts

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Some people don't seem to get that taste is subjective...

perrinnation and jpalmito like this.
  24. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    This is of course just my opinion that is obvious.

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani