Jack stand positioning | FerrariChat

Jack stand positioning

Discussion in '308/328' started by Frisky, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frisky

Frisky Karting

Apr 26, 2014
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rolfe Lofmark
    Hi all,

I have been lurking on the site since I bought my 308 about six year ago. When I bought it I knew it had been sitting for years and it would need a going through including timing belts, tensioners, and a bunch of other maintenance before trying to start it up. Anyway, it has sat untouched in my garage since the day I bought it.

That being said, there is a guy with a 308 GTSI in my town who has been giving me a hard time to get it going. I made the trip to harbor freight and got some jack stands and other equipment to begin the work. Today I began the work.

I didn’t see anywhere else to put the jack stands.
    If the experts out there could confirm the location It would be appreciated.

Thanks

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Frisky

Frisky Karting

Apr 26, 2014
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rolfe Lofmark
    One more question. If I want to jack the front on stands, I see no place to put them. I researched the diagram out in other threads, but jack stands can’t locate in those spots covered by panels. Do the panels need to be removed in the front?

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/135076261/

This has always been the definitive diagram for where to put stands under a 308/328.

Never jack or support the car on the sills.

As a general rule you are not going to go too far wrong placing them under the chassis as close to suspension pick up points as you can get them. I prefer to use stands with flat tops & rubber pads under the square section rubes though.

As advised by one of the well respected indis hereabouts if you just want to lift the rear then its fine to jack it under the rear cross member behind the engine (but I put a couple of bits of hardboard between the frame rail & the anti-roll bar below when I do that).

4. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
  5. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    How easy is it to remove the big under panel ?
    Like to do that one day to apply anti corrosion product .

6. Frisky

Frisky Karting

Apr 26, 2014
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rolfe Lofmark
    Than you for the panel off view. Very helpful.
    I tried getting the jack stands as far out as possible, but my lift jack was using the lift point to get the jack stands in place. That was as far outboard as I could get them. Maybe there is a better technique to getting the jack stands in place? Either way, you can see where I have them placed in the top picture. Think that looks safe enough to do the belt service and other engine maintenance jobs?

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'd say you're a bit too far forward with the aft stands. You're even with the factory jack pad which is nearing the balance point since it's designed to lift both front and rear wheels on that side at the same time. I can't say for certain but if you were to lean over the trunk with your full body weight it's possible you could lift the front end. I know it doesn't look that way but there is a weight bias towards the rear on these cars. A better location for the stands is further back where the wing rails are gusseted to the main rails of the frame. You'll see the triangular plates at that location.

8. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    +1 , in line with the jacking point is a very bad place to put them, its the balance point of the car. Very dangerous if you then have the whole car off the ground with the front lifted as well. The thing is quite likely to tip backwards off the stands.

Stands at the rear want to be somewhere in line with the rear axle line & at the front on the triangle just to the rear of the front wheels as per the diagram I linked to above.

9. Frisky

Frisky Karting

Apr 26, 2014
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rolfe Lofmark

Thank you, will work on getting a pair at the furthest aft points.

Will search on removing the protective plates. Probably something in the archives in that.

10. Tustin308

Tustin308 Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Tustin, CA
    Full Name:
    Arthur Trejo
    I agree. The rear stands are too far forward. Here are some pics of my 308 on stands. Notice the placement of the rear stand just forward of the engine. One tip, I removed the front spolier to fit the front jacks. It made it easier to place them.

Attached Files:

Nuvolari, Portofino and miketuason like this.
  11. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
  12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

Here is an old writeup I did, its for a GT4 but the frames are similar I think.

Rob

Attached Files:

Hannibal308 likes this.
  13. Frisky

Frisky Karting

Apr 26, 2014
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rolfe Lofmark

14. Frisky

Frisky Karting

Apr 26, 2014
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rolfe Lofmark
    Great guide on jacking it up. Unfortunately my car is not running yet so I can’t drive it up on ramps. Love the comment about don’t do it while drinking and the other self preservation tips. Great stuff!

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Rolfe,

Thanks, I envisioned a whole series of those until I found out how little I knew, but I did complete a cooling, gb and oil change ones. I have lifted it up with out ramps, but it takes a bit more care, 3 floor jacks and patience to do it safely. Well that was at least me, not sure how others would do it....

Rob

16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Pass on your other guides...nice work!