Seat belts stuck ? ABS BRAKE RELATED? | FerrariChat

Seat belts stuck ? ABS BRAKE RELATED?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sonfield, Dec 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    I know I previously posted this but someone said maybe there’s a fuse or something related to the ABS braking system will explain why both front seat seatbelts will not release. Does anyone have experience with this

2. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    my 88 uk abs mondial doesn't have any link to the seatbelts.

Jim

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Why would it be linked at ABS system ?

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I've never seen any link between those and the ABS. The seat belts might be locked because they retracted too far. When that has happened, it's pretty easy to get them out: pull and release the belt from the spindle very fast and it will come out cm per cm. This might take a while, but you'll get there. 5 pulls a second and it will slowly come out more and more, but make sure the centimeters won't get back in :)

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I found that I needed to pull it out very slow. I pulled as much belt out as possible, got a can of WD40 with a straw and a flash light and lubed the latch mechanism. Then carefully retracted the belt making sure it went back in straight. All has been fine since.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

gsfent likes this.
  6. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    You were able to do that without removing the belt mechanism cover?

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Yup. Would have been better I’d I removed the cover but I was able to get it done with a flash light and a straw.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

djs308 likes this.
  8. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks Ron. Having similar issues where the belt was just about completely locked up.

Sprayed some WD40 from the top and removed the side panel against the door and sprayed down from there (no flashlight). It helped a bunch!!!

Pulling the belt straight up and slightly to the rear seemed to free it up the most. I will do a few more pulls over the weekend and perhaps another light spray. But it is now very operational, so I can drive LEGALLY again! :)

Regards,
    Jerry

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Mine was doing the same thing, using silicone spray, pulled it all the way out, slowly, found a kink in the belt. Lubed the mechanism from the top with straw and flashlight, with the belt fully retracted per Ron. All is good now. Did not remove any covers, just loosened the side cover enough so I could pull it to the side to get some clearance so I could see what I was doing.

Make sure you have the belt pulled all the way out, stuff some paper towels in the bottom of the cavity to catch any excess, you can remove the towels after a while with a long reach grabber tool. Don't want to get silicone all over your belts!
    Alden

10. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd really like to give this a shot. Where is the cover actually attached? What's the easiest way to loosen it with out actually removing the thing (which I really would like to avoid)?

11. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I was referring to a side panel, which is under the window. It just came off with finger pressure at the front. I think there is a little clip, I didn't pay too much attention.

Regards,
    Jerry