308 GT4 Instrument Gauges Dash Lights | FerrariChat

308 GT4 Instrument Gauges Dash Lights

Discussion in '308/328' started by robertgarven, Dec 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I am trying to troubleshoot the lights on my GT4 Speedo & Tach. Does anyone have some photos of the dash panel removed so I can see the back of the gauges? I am trying to figure out where the lights that illuminate these two gauges are, and if the bulbs can be replaced without removing the panel. I had to remove the panel on my other GT4 to remove the clock and it was not that easy. Even this operation cant be done in place, I would like to have some photos for my files, and to see what is going on there. Of course if anyone has done this procedure, I would love to hear about it.

Sorry for all the posts, I had a bit of free time and trying to get everything working on the twins!

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    You’ll need to pull the panel.

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. John F

John F Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    East Lothian, UK
    Full Name:
    John Ferguson
    I hope these help.

Attached Files:

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    John, and all,

Thank you so much for the pics. I know its a UK car, which is the Speedo? I think the bulbs in my tach and speedo are incorrect, as they are so dim there is almost nothing here even after disconnecting the dimmer and it looks just as in the photo posted above. Its been a while, do you have any tricks, suggestions or sequence for taking that panel off? I am hoping I can leave many of the connectors attached and just lay it down flat on the steering column to replace the bulbs. Here is my other GT4 dash after the dimmer was bypassed.

Rob

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    from memory iirc the connections are too short

6. John F

John F Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    East Lothian, UK
    Full Name:
    John Ferguson
    The speedo is the largest unit. The yellow wire is the one that powers the gauge general illumination. I can't really remember taking the dash out but I'm sure it will help taking the steering wheel off or dropping the column. Undo the dash retaining bolts and pull the dash out but you'll have to disconnect the multiplugs. On my car the dash retaining bolts were so tight that some broke so that's something to look out for.

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    John,

Thank you so much. My instruments were rebuilt, before I acquired the automobile. I can see illumination in there, but so low I am wondering if the bulbs are the incorrect ones or when the gauges were rebuilt somehow the areas where the bulb glow are blocked, or worse the incorrect wires are attached!

Rob

John F likes this.
  8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The 3 or so large plugs cannot be reconnected wrong so no worries about that. The wires are typically too short not to unplug them. Refer to the owners manual for bulb wattages and do not put in bigger wattage bulbs. The extra heat can damage the instruments.

The illumination bulbs, as opposed to warning or indicator bulbs are a daisy chain of yellow wire.

If you are going to take it apart you might consider searching here and read up on conversion to LED's. That way when you are done you will actually be able to see the instruments.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've bypassed my dimmer completely; it made a small difference, but nothing in the realm of "wow, now I can actually read gauges clearly in the dark!"

I believe LED is probably the best solution, but I've yet to find the motivation to convert everything. As seldom as I drive in the dark, it might be awhile. ;)