Mick Schumacher | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Mick Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mick Schumacher will be ready for Formula 1 day, but a Ferrari seat isn’t coming his way in 2021 says principal Mattia Binotto.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/schumacher-not-in-ferraris-2021-thoughts/

The son of seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher, Mick made his F2 debut in 2019 and finished his rookie season P12 in the standings, though he did claim his first win in the series during the Hungary sprint race.

The German youngster will stay with the Prema team for 2020 as he continues his seemingly inevitable progression to F1.

And a Ferrari seat may well be going spare come 2021, but Binotto believes it wouldn’t be the right time for Schumacher or the team for such a promotion.

“Will he be a good candidate for Ferrari? It’s really too early to say that,” Binotto is quoted by GP Fans.

“For 2021 it will be important to have drivers with experience, because the cars will be completely new.

“But I am pretty sure that he is a good candidate for Formula 1.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Binotto doesn't commit himself one way or the other.

3. DF1

A polite manner of saying we will watch as his skill develops but also they seem not overly impressed to date. Suited for a seat but not in Ferrari possibly????

RobertJRB and william like this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hammer meet nail

5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Why talking about a Ferrari seat ?
    They already know he isn't formula one material
    Mick Schumacher is a marketing trap for Ferrari and they should have been more cautious before hiring him.
    Schwartzman is their real prospect

william likes this.
  6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Let’s face it, if Albon can make it to F1 and thrive after a mediocre F2 career, why can’t Mick? I hope he makes it. Nostalgia marketing will be worth millions to the team that hires him.

7. DF1

Sponsors are not over-whelming the teams at the moment. Mick will make an interesting story to start. Results must follow and he needs a seat that matters.

subirg likes this.
  8. DF1

jpalmito and william like this.
  9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting.

BTW: I do believe Nico is an improved version of his father. Hard to say given the different circumstances etc but his father "lucked" into his title (by not having an injury in the season, but then again by also being super fast and consistent, so "lucked" might be too strong a word). Nico was lucky too in the sense that Hamilton had bad luck that year. Then again you don't get to sit in the best car of the grid unless you are very fast. Unlike Bottas he was consistent and aggressive. And up against the best driver on the grid. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but he is not a clear case of clearly worse (Piquet) or better (Villeneuve) than his father.

10. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Sorry but Albon was one the strongest drivers of his generation in karting, vice-champion as a rookie in GP3, and third in GP2 behind Russel and Norries. He might not be a top star but definitely has a good track record.

william likes this.
  11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I was impressed with him once he took over at RB. Didn't expect anything from him, but he held his own.

william likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #512 william, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    I don't think Keke Rosberg "lucked" into his title; he won it thanks to steady driving and car reliability.
    That year, Williams had a good chassis but still ran the "old" atmospheric Cosworth DFV.
    The opposition (Ferrari and Renault) had faster cars but with troublesome turbo engines, and lots of failures.
    Keke was often in the points, and constantly increased his tally all through the season when the favourites were often licking their wounds.
    In fact, Keke just won 1 GP that season, but gathered enough points to clinch the title.
    He had been a charger all year, and got the best out of his car in the circumstances.
    Keke's talent was unquestionable, he was fast and had terrific car control.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Albon really came to his own once he got the Red Bull drive. This came as a pleasant surprise after Gasly disappointment.
    Where Gasly cracked, Albon doesn't seem to suffer from the comparison with Verstappen, and he can handle the pressure too.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I know all that. Watched the season as it unfolded.

That said, either Ferrari could have walked away with the title by a longshot if the drivers hadn't been killed/injured. Villeneuve's accident was a freak accident and Pironi's (an encore with reversed roles) a most unfortunate event. Lightning did strike twice that season. It was unreal. Despite the issues the Ferrari engine had, it would have won.

PS: Keke had insane car control and was lucky. I believe it was at Long Beach where he did a 360 spin leading the field, basically surrounded by cars and continued without loosing a position.

william likes this.
  15. DF1

Albon is showing us what Mick is not doing, along with the history of LH and Nico being successful as well in GP2. Mick is not the talent of those just yet it appears. He could grow into that soon of course. History is showing a consistent pattern of others being more successful in Jr series vs Mick.

william likes this.
  16. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    I agree, it will be great PR and likely attract sponsors. I want to love the kid, I was a huge fan of his father and have been of Ferrari since those days. So far he seems mediocre in F2 but if he has a strong year and is in the championship hunt that will be enough in my book. Ferrari obviously want first dibs if he accells....
    2021 is going to be soooooooo exciting. I still firmly believe Hamilton could drive a Ferrari if the deal is right for 21.
    Exciting times!!

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    DF1 likes this.
  18. william and DF1 like this.
  19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    This just isn’t true unfortunately. Albon was 7th in his first F3 year. He came 2nd the year after. He has been team mate or competed against many current F1 drivers throughout his junior and F1 careers and has never beaten any of them including Leclerc, Norris and Russel. He hasn’t won a championship in his entire open wheeled racing career. Yet he is doing OK for a mid pack driver in F1. If you compare his stats to Mick, it will surprise you to see that Mick is doing way better than Albon ever did. That’s what gives me hope that Mick might make it in F1 one day... And yes, I make no apology for wishing to see him rekindle the greatness of his dad in Red. :)

F1fletch likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If Mick Schumacher arrives in F1 on merit, that will be OK. But if he gets a drive because of his family name only that will soon be found out.
    A name only doesn't guaranty success. Having a famous father to emulate is more a burden than an advantage, I think.

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    That’s very true.

22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Not only that but very unfair and dommageable for a driver less famous than his family name and robbed from a formula 2 chance with prema for instance
    Michael come from nowhere and on his pure merit

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The famous and rich father thing has its benefits too: Opens doors, gets sponsor $ and pays for the way to the top.

And yes, it comes with high expectations, that's the flip side.

Not considering the horrible situation his father is in, Mick had a very good deal to make it into F1. And quite frankly, if the doesn't succeed, he is not a racing failure. He is clearly talented, might just not be enough for the top (yet). "Failed" F1 drivers usually do pretty well at other racing formulas. He could probably race DTM or LeMans for the rest of his career and win many races. Time will tell.

subirg, NeuroBeaker and william like this.