Have You Consolidated Your Car Collection to Attain a Grail - (F40!)? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Have You Consolidated Your Car Collection to Attain a Grail - (F40!)?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by plastique999, Nov 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Another invigorating response invoking the spirit of car heaven.
    You’re the second person commenting on hyperspace warp speeds!
    It will be even more difficult to enjoy the journey of the hunt before attaining this Nirvana. Really appreciate the enthusiasm.
    You guys are making this really difficult!

Sent from my 16M

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    We are more than happy to help you spend your money. :)

SCantera, LARRYH and plastique999 like this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you look in the supercar forum you will learn more, but I think its fairly common to change the exhaust to Tubi- I have done this. I have OEM exhaust in a box. I'm planning to do cat-delete this winter, Also many people upgrade the brakes, but I think that means using larger wheels. I think as long as you can put it back to OEM you should be good.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    depends on what you consider modifications....

mine has had a few things changed/added, that increase the safety or driveability.
    i have the bigger LM turbos, so the car puts out 550-600 bhp. which is nice.
    it also has the LM Brembos that have more stopping power.
    a tubi, a fire suppression system, lowered suspension, a hidden cigar lighter to run a gps, and a few parts swapped out for carbon fibre equivalents.

to the uninitiated, it looks stock. to another F40 owner, they will notice all the changes.

plastique999 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks for responding. Yes, by “modifications” I’m referring to anything in the car that isn’t stock or “original factory spec”. The more I learn, within the supercar ranks, it seems more commonplace with F40’s than 288’s, F50’s, Enzo’s or LaFerrari’s. Maybe it’s simply because of the numbers of them by comparison.

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think it is partly because nobody bothered to try to race the 288, and then the f50 was a limited run, mostly bought by poseurs at the time and very little after market stuff was made for it. similarly the enzo and laf are too complicated for anybody to get involved - it would void the warranty.

there are approx 1315 F40's, and many owners are interested in improving the car where they can, and there are parts available to do it...so it gets done.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    These sound like the perfect upgrades and what I would do to the car....

Sent from my 16M

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I just clicked on some links on the home page here and did some reading on the F40. Then I remembered your thread and had to return here...

After reading those links, you are 100% CORRECT to do what you are doing. I LOVE the 16M and Speciale, way up on my list those cars.

But the F40 is simply its own level. Has anyone ever bought one and regretted it? Or pined after another car because the F40 was a "meh".

No way...

Of course its not a DD or even a long weekend away GT or Sports Cabrio, but you have room for those and have them already anyways.

Get an F40. Keep it forever. Rotate other cars through the other slots in your collection.

The only other modern car I can think of to put in this "level" is perhaps an F50. Keeping those two and then rotating one GT and one DD among the many great choices there would do it for me.

JAM1 and plastique999 like this.
  10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    My favorite Ferrari ever is the F40.
    Trust me as an observer and lesser level participant I am deep into exotic cars.
    I could have afforded that Lancia Stratos at 17.5k.
    And that F40 at 350k.
    Both I KNEW were going up but stretches at the time.
    I clearly see the next big thing.

DIGMAN52 and plastique999 like this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Sound advice.... seems everyone is 100% on the decision.
    As an update my SV is already sold thanks to Roy Cats, whom I give the ultimate praise for assisting me with that transaction.
    16M is still up in FS section....plan on keeping Speciale, for now.

Here is a curve ball...want to and plan on keeping CGT. But would one consider selling the CGT, which would then allow me to get into the F40 quicker or...
    Hold CGT which may then take some time to get the F40. I am leaning towards being patient and holding the CGT.

Sent from my 16M

sgfreak96 likes this.
  12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    keep the cgt

Boomhauer and mikesufka like this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    sell it. CGT are buyable. much harder to find a good f40.

Caeruleus11, schwoo and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Keep the CGT if you love it, it's already a known commodity to you....I would say sell the Speciale, they made a ton of those and they're too new to have underfunded owners neglect maintenance.

15. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Keep the CGT and sell the Speciale.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    OP, between your CGT and Speciale, which do you tend drive without a passenger? That's the one I would sell because I find myself driving "The One" alone. It's not an easy car for a passenger to get in and out of, there are no creature comforts (AC is all there is) and no electronics to entertain them. I don't want to be distracted with any conversation; would rather concentrate on hearing and feeling what the car is doing, and keeping an eye on the road and traffic because visibility of your surroundings (other than what's directly in front) is not great.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  17. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Sell the CGT and speciale and pick up a 959 bookend to the f40.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Consider an F40 and Countach QV Downdraft. Talk about a visceral overload. That would be amazing bookends.

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there is a logic to that, and i once considered doing just that.
    however, i then spoke with some owners, and the 959 is a maintenance nightmare, which really put me off.

Boomhauer and Elisesko like this.
  20. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    ditto for me

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    How's your "quest" going ?

MDS

22. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Well your dad lives in Naples. I did for 18 years and driving there is more of a chore than exhilarating. He gets a pass. Sounds like Houston is not much better than FL.

I figured it out......move to the mountains of NC...build a big garage and drive the cars like they should be driven. Tell your dad I will help him find the right summer cabin and have a garage to keep and care for the cars. It's 4 hours door to door from Naples to our mountain home. Hour and quarter non-stop flight from PGD to AVL. It's inexpensive and easy to get here.

Sorry.......I can't help trying to tempt others to drive these incredible roads we have here in the NC mountains. They are amazing and the cops don't care. Just stay on your side of the road.

23. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    My mom bought my dad a 288 for Father's Day back in 1985. I was fortunate enough to spend considerable seat time in the GTO. Including a track day at Summit Point. Okay...the 288 was more car than I was a driver but it had a somewhat squirrelly feel when pushed. Not sure if it was the turbo rush power that the suspension design didn't handle or if there was something specific to that car. It was new out of the box. I think Ferrari realized that the 288 needed more work that resulted in the Evoluzione and ultimately the F40. Don't get me wrong. The 288 is beautiful and a fun ride. But the F40 was the next level the 288 needed to be taken.

Caeruleus11, Thecadster and mikesufka like this.
  24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you have truly lead a blessed life ;)

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.