355 - 1997 F355 Restoration | FerrariChat

355 1997 F355 Restoration

Discussion in '348/355' started by ArtBR8, Dec 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    So, let me introduce myself: My name is Art, and I have a problem with buying cars that need love. This is my first Ferrari restoration, but my 8th restoration/rebuild. Anyway, I bought this 97 F355 GTS from Euroshop in Sacramento California and it was previously owned by Ferrparts. Ot is a clear title car, but has been sitting for a couple of years waiting to be put back together. I drove from Kansas City MO on Thanksgiving to pick it up and trailer back home to KCMO. I have started disassembling and accumulating some missing parts. Here are some pics of the process thus far.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    love this - you rock!

carnutdallas and ArtBR8 like this.
  3. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Awesome! Keep the pictures coming!

ArtBR8 likes this.
  4. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    Thank you sir! The engine goes in next week for guides and service. Will be doing Fabspeed headers and cat bypass pipes too.

5. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    I will document as often as possible. Mechanical is almost done for now, so I will be addressing interior next week.

brent Lachelt likes this.
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    This F355 is in good hands.

I'll be following your restoration, Art.

Barry

ArtBR8 likes this.
  7. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    Thanks Barry! I will do the marque a good deed! She has been neglected for certain! cheers,
    Art

8. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Nice! I’m following as well.

9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I'm the same way, I saw that on ebay.

Anything significant missing from the pile of parts?

ArtBR8 likes this.
  10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
  11. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    What exhaust are you going to do?

12. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Welcome to the nightmare. :)

You have found a great resource here.

ArtBR8 likes this.
  13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Art! Welcome! There's a special place for people who like basket case cars (I'm one too). Looking forward to seeing your progress!

sjd

14. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Subscribed. Looking forward to progress pics!

ArtBR8 likes this.
  15. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    There is about 85% of the car present. I am missing one harness that runs from the ecu up the center console to the fuse box in the footwell. I am missing the ECU, And a few other such items. I have an immobilizer ECU but someone cut the harness about 1/2” out of the metal retaining box, so there isnt even enough wiring to solder a pig tail to! ‍♂️ I am considering going stand alone engine management anyway, so not a big deal. The windshield is ****. I need the driver side air inlet behind the door into the rads, hard brake for the rear brakes. Shif linkage, and the rear wall carpet and leather covers, and e brake cover. I have pretty much everything else. Engine goes to the shop this week for service and valve guides.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  16. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    Thanks SJD! I will use the resources here appropriately, and hopefully my build will provide some resource for others too!

17. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    Today was an eventful day! I got the power unit out, without a lift, and everything went Pretty smoothly. I will be sending the engine off for steel guides, and a general servicing with timing belts, timing idler bearings, water pump, head gaskets and anything else needing attention. I used 2 motorcycle jacks, one on each side of the car, and after taking the wheels off and lowering the power unit onto a rolling dolly, I raised the body off of the power unit. I will prepare the subframe once the engine is out. I will remove suspension arms and inspect and have them coated along with the nasty subframe. Enjoy!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB and Mike Morrissey like this.
  18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Be wary that the cross beams do not have thick walls. When reassembling with the trans in place or when jacking the car, you really want to be under the corners of the subframe.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ArtBR8 likes this.
  19. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    Yes, if you notice, the trans support beam has already been bent by the previous owner. At this point I was only supporting the rear subframe so I could remove the wheels. You can’t see the rolling dolly in the photo, but the whole subframe is resting on the dolly for removal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

carnutdallas and steved033 like this.
  20. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    This is awesome. I love seeing another one brought back to glory!

ArtBR8 likes this.
  21. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    Thanks! I am very happy that everyone has been so supportive of this effort! While this car is far from perfect, I will bring it back to life respectfully, and as close to her former glory as is possible. There will be some updates to a few of the systems but They are such magnificent cars, and works of Art, it is a travesty she was neglected so badly!

tres55 likes this.
  22. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Welcome to FerrariChat.

Wonderful project, and looking forward to seeing the progress.

ArtBR8 likes this.
  23. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Art, you are putting in the hours and making quick work of bringing the car back! Keep posting we all enjoy the pictures.

ernie and ArtBR8 like this.
  24. ArtBR8

ArtBR8 Rookie

Nov 23, 2019
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Art Baldwin
    Thank you! I wanted to get a good start on assessing all of the issues and what would be needed to address each. I will anxiously post new photos as I document more work. Waiting for a few items over this holiday week, so I will be posting some progress on the interior as well as engine!