Ferrari 360 white smoke/black smoke.. some unusual stuff going on | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 white smoke/black smoke.. some unusual stuff going on

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Aj360, Jan 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    so finally got my car back after major service belts plugs oil filters cam cover gasgets new maf sensors so on .. when it came back it was getting hot quick added some more coolant new cap so far so good keeps great temps .. Went for a long drive twice last night few things happen. on idle if I give it a rev with the new capristo sound 3 sounds loud and clear .. when driving above 4000rpm it starts to sound like it’s struggling to get up to 7000-8000rpm doesn’t sound to good Not a clear f1 pitch.. came home gave it few revs hard ones I won’t lie sounds great blew black smoke at high rpm revs tho??. I switched it off then started it about 2 mins after and a puff of white smoke came out and I **** myself thinking (headgasget) it puffed out a fair bit then stopped .. turned it off an on a few times little bit of white smoke then goes away . I let it cool did it few more times now it’s gone . Same night I went out it wouldn’t go into gear at one point for about 5 mins was in neutral flashing at me I also noticed a while ago some oil as well in the intake manifold possibly could of been the answer to the white smoke ?? Big questions is do I have a exhaust leak due to the exhaust losing its sound and running ruff .. Is the oil build up causing the puff white smoke that’s my main concerns anyone else have anything like this happen ??

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    sounds like someone got some explaining to do.......

needs to go back and fixed properly

Monteman and Rifledriver like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Driving it and revving it isn't going to fix anything and may be very counterproductive.

Bring it back now.

4. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Yeah guys the work seems good I saw everything he did but just seems to not have the punch and aggressive response with the tone as well it should have .. I am more worried about the white smoke that came out .. prior to those long drives it hadn’t been driven for some time” does anyone have and idea about what cause these symptoms that have happen

5. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hiflowed the thermostat and advanced the timing????? What complete BS.
    Sorry but you need to find a real mechanic. The one you have isn't. He is either an idiot or a charlatan.

dodici, 2NA, brian.s and 1 other person like this.
  7. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Yeah man he said he put some extra timing in it and drilled out the thermostat so it would stay even cooler .. my first Ferrari was recommended to him threw few people .. what you suggest from here then .. take it back and say ?? Fix the timing and put another thermostat in that’s not drilled out ?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    For starters. He is clearly clueless. No one who knows what they are doing would do what he did. You need a new mechanic who knows what he is doing.

dodici likes this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The only mechanic I trust is also an incompetent oaf. Me.

Aj360 likes this.
  10. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Hard here man everyone claims there the man but don’t know much .. unless I go round to Ferrari .. I will go back tho and get him to refit a normal thermostat and also discuss why he put some extra timing in it .. he has lots customers when I was there was all Ferrari’s lambos he seemed to be the guy to go to with a good rep behind him ... hope I haven’t ended back at square one ..

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hitler had a lot of followers too. Means nothing.

12. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Personally, I wouldn't let that person touch my Ferrari again. Time to realize a mistake, find someone that knows what they're doing, and get the cams timed properly. It takes time to do the job right.

Aj360 likes this.
  13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Time for a new mechanic. Don't let him touch it again.

Aj360 likes this.
  14. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Mite just bite the bullet head around to Ferrari Probably the best option now ..

15. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Replacement thermostat and going to have to dial in the cams. Certainly won't be a cheap exercise..

16. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Not sure where you are in Sydney, but speak to Miles at Cavallino Motorsport in Brookvale.

Aj360 likes this.
  17. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

Will give him a call I am in Waterloo not to far I will give him a buzz Monday thanks heaps man for the lead

18. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

Thermostat isn’t a drama cams yes ;)