Value for a 1998 F355 spyder 6 speed | FerrariChat

Value for a 1998 F355 spyder 6 speed

Discussion in '348/355' started by jeffreyhardesty, Jan 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffreyhardesty

May 5, 2013
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Hardesty
    #1 jeffreyhardesty, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Looking to get a feel for the market price for my vehicle.
    Relevant info
    Red/Tan black top
    Owned since 1999
    approx 32,000 miles
    30k mile service done
    Interior and dash just redone
    New windshield
    Upgraded aluminum radiators just replace with 30k service.

any insight would be great.
    thanks
    jeffrey

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can check bat and hemmigs, gets you in range, there is subjectivity and only you know your car to determine where it fits in the 50-100k range it belongs.

6 speed spider,, I assume you mean manual gearbox not F1, nice!

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
    ScottS and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  4. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    All 355 are 6-speeds.
    Some manually selected gears, some hydraulic actuator selected gears (F1)

Impossible to tell without a bit more background and photos.
    Can you post up some images?

Top work as it should?
    Compression solid and consistent?
    Headers replaced?
    Original clutch?
    Stock or after market radio?
    Seats solid and looking good?
    Waterpump replaced at engine out?
    Clean title?

Wide range...market seems soft for these cars at the moment.
    Spring will help.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Very optimistic. If you want to sell it, you looking at low $60k's. Lot's of cars asking $70k and up. None moving.

flat_plane_eddie, blkdiablo33 and QSA like this.
  6. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    If you really want to move it fast, it would have to be priced in the 50s. Assuming some of the major repairs have been done (headers, valve guides, recent major, etc.) then you can probably get something starting with a 6.

7. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    None Moving? Some guy just sold his 1997 Gated Spider early this year for $70K, I know cause I bought it for that amount. 38K Miles on mine.
    Different Factors go into the Price. Mine had Perfect Paint, a new Dash, Fresh Engine Out Service, Valve Guides, Top Hydraulics Oil Changed Out, new Clutch & more. Had the Tubi with Hyperflows which I wanted. It was good to go, the ones @ $60K all either needed a Major or Had Dash Shrinkage.

So to the OP I'd say, yours sounds like the same as mine, so $70K would be the Value.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Someone sold one for 110 too. Big difference between early this year and now. Prices do seem down and they are not getting snapped up. I think the "broader" market as a whole has moved on to other models. These need a buys that had one on his wall in their younger years I suspect.

9. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
    And those all need a bunch of things done to them to make them right. The example he listed is the later 98/99 model, has just had a service (+$6400-$10k bonus), interior is new and all the major pitfalls have been addressed. I think it’s easily a $75k car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not so. But, regardless the truth is a car is worth what someone will pay for it. That translates to who's in the market when you sell. The idea that any car in amazing shape will immediately fetch top dollar is just not so. it may and it may set for 2 years. It just depends on who's in the market with cash and really wants one. Here is BAT results.

Attached Files:

• 355.PNG
      355.PNG
      File size:
      34 KB
      Views:
    Qavion and Sami like this.
  11. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
    Most of the sold hits are in the $60-$80 range (not including fees) and again this particular car is a 98, with service and all known issues tended to. If it was my car I’d advertise at $78k

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #12 johnk..., Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020

Most of the recent sales are below $70k, if you consider the last 2 years recent.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And not to disparage the owner, no one is going to pay a premium because it has a new windshield. It doesn't add value to the car. I presume it has a new windshield because it needed one. Same with the interior for the most part. There are cars with good and bad interiors. Again, this car must have needed a new interior. That may add a little value, but only to the right person.

Bottom line, it's a 30k mile, red/tan spider. Not a particularly unique car. And where does the owner say all know issues done? It says 30k service done. No mention of when. Headers? Cats?

WATSON likes this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #13 Ferrarium, Jan 5, 2020
    This is goofy. If the OP has one, presumably it was not given to him. Presumably he had to buy it and thus has a feel for the cars. If he wanted to know the value he would do what he did when he bought it research. I suspect this is just a post hoping someone would contact him to buy it. A sort of passive aggressive sales post? Just a thought.

The earlier Berlinetta ones are more prized, so newer is not always better. Its a late red Targa with a black top (how is that I thought they were all color matched tops?) anyhow the market may have a collective yawn. We'll never know though.

14. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
    Why would you look at the old sales and not the most recent?

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #15 Ferrarium, Jan 5, 2020
    So.... why are you referring to your paid price as a measure that was not recent, then says older prices are not valid?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BTW that BAT shows the recent sales at the end, closer to 60 with ones closer to 80's not selling.

You may be correct but if one looks at data it may not line up. that said it may sell for 100K who knows. speaking of data, here is what Hagerty says. Yes... its just one measure but its based on data, it is likely more realistic that ones gut.

And ebay recent sales below it, again just some measures. Not definitive of course. Who knows, on any given day... But the market is soft but it goes up and down, wait a few months and they may go up 20%. Markets are weird.

Are they worth 75K, you bet! Will people pay, trend says at this time no.

Attached Files:

16. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    It really is about just finding the RIGHT buyer. For me, when I was looking for a f355, I was only looking at 1995 gated hardtop and ONLY 1995. Needed to be Red/Tan. I wouldn't even accept Red/Black, even it had better history. Basically, I have already narrowed down my options and wouldn't mind paying MORE for the car that has the build/options I was looking for. A good deal is nice, yes, but not everyone is buying cars because it was a good deal. I couldn't see myself enjoying a car that was not in the right color/trim/transmission, just to save 10-15k? it would always be in the back of my mind. But to gauge what a particular car should be worth and what a buyer is willing to pay, will forever be impossible to answer. until its sold. On BAT, there was only one car that matched my options (1995/Red/Tan/Gated) that sold in 4/2018, that is only just one data point from BAT that I can go by.

17. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Helluva spread between Concours and Excellent. Even if this is wacky Haggerty data, the spread between the #1 and #2 cars is basically what you could buy a #4 car for. The problem is...internet sales data does not uncover many/most sales of #1 (and perhaps #2) cars. I purchased mine unadvertised in 2011. A friend with a 550 was getting service at a shop where my car was on consignment. There are also cars known in certain circles (C&C type crowds) that get sold as soon as the owner expresses interest in selling. These would not be #4 cars.

It seems to me that 355 prices are more affected by condition than other F cars and those sales publicly available via BAT and Fleabay are disproportionally skewing the bell curve lower. Modifications are also going to influence #1/#2 cars. The buyer who is willing to lay out top dollar is going to be a purist. Black wheels, like in your examples, will quickly turn away these buyers.

Sami likes this.