599 Purchase Questions | FerrariChat

599 Purchase Questions

Discussion in '612/599' started by rngssw, Jan 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rngssw

rngssw Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2017
    Illinois, USA
    Hi, everyone, newbie here. I am interested in a 599 in Texas but their car started off as a Canadian car. Sometime in 2011ish it was imported to the US ( or at least was registered in Nevada). However, the speedo is in km/h and the odo is the same. The temp knobs are in Celsius too.

I have not personally seen the car, just talked to the dealer briefly. I am from Illinois so it is not like I can just pop in. My question is if these can be changed? Do I need to worry about anything else? Or should I just look for a different one for the cost and trouble involved?

Your insights are really appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    What price are they asking? Unless it's significantly cheaper (I'm not sure myself what that means exactly) I wouldn't bother. You're always going to have lower resale due to that.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FAI should be able to swap out the gauge faces and reset the panel so the odometer reads in miles instead of kms. Call Rod and check.

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

Rod Drew

[email protected]

Will White

http://www.ferrarioc.com/

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. rngssw

rngssw Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2017
    Illinois, USA
    2 owners, 14k miles, CPO, asking $140. However, based on my discussion, not a lot of service records other than those in the dealer database.

5. rngssw

rngssw Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2017
    Illinois, USA
    Thanks. Will check with them.

6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I might be mistaken, but can't you recalibrate the screen in Fahrenheit ? As for the speedo, I personally use the screen display more than the actual speedometer which again I thought you could reprogram.

7. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    You can find pretty much the same car for the same asking amount if not a bit less. So given that, why would you want to bother with converting it? Not to mention the lower resale due to being a Canadian car.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Canadian Ferraris and US Ferraris are identical except for the gauges. They both have the same destination code in the VIN and are supplied by FNA.

LARRYH likes this.
  9. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Do Canadian cars also come with the California emissions sticker?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is no separate CA emissions sticker for NA cars. Has not been for a long time. May happen again if they go off the deep end.

LARRYH likes this.
  11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    You have to decide whether it is worth it relative to other cars on the market and they do have less issues (albeit the KM seems relatively minor but it is still a story nonetheless). Also remember all the list prices are asking prices, not sales prices. In the current market $140K might be high for this. Here is an 08 with 7K miles that recently sold on BAT for 126K. That is a benchmark that is verifiable.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-ferrari-599-gtb-6/

12. rngssw

rngssw Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2017
    Illinois, USA
    That's my thinking as well. No service records is my concern as well. I do want to find out how difficult it is to have it change.

13. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I guess what I meant is the 50 state emissions sticker or whatever it's called. Every time I've bought a car into California from another state they look for the emissions sticker to also state California on it.

14. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    If you're patient and wait until February or March I think you can find a 599 in a similar condition for something in the 120s. Might already be possible now. I know last year this time they dipped to 110 but we'll see if they go that low again.

15. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    As a spare I have a miles instrument cluster in the garage. If you pay the shipment from Europe you can have mine and I'll take yours.

16. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi 360 M,if you know, what is involved in taking the cluster out ? Mike

17. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    I never done it, so I don't know. Tomorrow I will take a closer look at the cluster!

18. Samuel Misrasi

Samuel Misrasi Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    Clinton, Utah
    Full Name:
    Samuel Misrasi
    $140k for that car seems quite over priced.

19. turbolou

turbolou Rookie

Jan 24, 2012
    Lake Forest California
    Full Name:
    Lou Czarnota
  20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Terry, I don’t think that is correct, my 08 612 OTO car has a CA compliant sticker. I checked it in Salt Lake Ferrari where I got it. When I went to register the car in CA the person at the DMV just looked briefly at the CA compliant sticker and that was all the research they did. She said w/o the sticker it was a big deal to register the car in CA.
    Maybe 599s are different?

21. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

22. turbolou

turbolou Rookie

Jan 24, 2012
    Lake Forest California
    Full Name:
    Lou Czarnota
    Thanks George, I didn't take it because it isn't a fire sale. The shields are real . Do you have anything more positive to add to this intelligent post.

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree. I would think that is a 120K car give or take. 2007 and all black doesn't help but you do have the CCM brakes. Good luck with the sale.

24. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers,sorry. GLWS

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would add this while not a 599 I did own a Canadian Ferrari .. I had no problem titling it and all the specs are the same only thing is the gauges as you mention .. you should know that if you sell it one day it will likely go for less money then a USA car.. I had a Barchetta pretty rare car and paid less for it .. maybe 10% less and sold it for maybe the same amount less... IF you change the speedometer I would suggest it be done by someone that will certify the mileage I even bought a new speedo and kept the old with the car and had place do it that would document the mileage .. there was a form they signed that certified it to be true mileage....
    a speedo shop or dealer should know how to handle things .. For what it's worth....

Texas Forever likes this.