458 - 458 Owners Real World Experience on NSX | FerrariChat

458 458 Owners Real World Experience on NSX

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by eg9, Jan 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    I found a 2016 post on the new NSX but wanted some update on someone’s experience. I’ve driven both and actually really enjoyed the drive and feel as much as the 458 but one thing makes me completely pursuit the 458.. the Exhaust! Is that crazy to spend $50k more for a car that’s used for the sound? I’m not a brand snob so that part I don’t care about but the 458 sound is intoxicating and the new NSX is really really bad...
    Am I way off here? Similar experiences anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xfrgtr and dustman like this.
  2. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ve had both (currently still have NSX). I think the NSX is better looking and it’s certainly quicker to 100 mph. The 458 was a dream car of mine, I love it still. Price being equal 458 all day. But I bought my NSX for $128k brand new while my 458 cost me $240k and I sold it for $190k. At that price difference the NSX is a no brainer.

4. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Sorry friend, I don’t believe I could ever give a second thought to an NSX compared to any Ferrari. Given that you are seriously comparing the two you should go with the NSX. Not a dig, just for me there is a lot more to Ferrari than it just being a car. Nissan lacks that provenance in opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    Ok.... I don’t take it as a dig at all and understand the name and history takes it to another level.. I just seem to be leaning way more to the 458 because of the sound above all other reasons and wondered if “Joe Sta7” and others made the decision based on the glorious sound or other reasons?

6. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Could not agree more. 2 different worlds. If you think sound is only difference, buy the Nissan

jim g likes this.
  7. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Wow, real car guys that don't know Acura makes the NSX, not Nissan
    Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Borrow’d Mine

Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Oops, that’s like a Honda right? Too much wine and it’s only Monday.

ebw001 likes this.
  9. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    Let me elaborate a bit more. The look of the 458 is amazing and there is a “feeling” driving around of feeling super special. Don’t get me wrong, The NSX is a Honda and the interior plastics are a quick reminder but cornering, speed, braking are similar. The looks are a bit similar but I like the 458 lines a bit more.

1-10
    458 (rented for 2 hrs)
    - Looks 8
    - Overall drive (handling, Speed,...) 8
    - Sound 10
    - Overall Feeling 9
    Price - $170k

NSX (test drive)
    - Looks 7
    - Overall drive 8
    - Sound 2
    - Overall Feeling 7
    Price - $110k

10. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bought my 458 in March of last year, I looked hard at the nsx, both cars were similar money but the 458 look just spoke to me more. The nsx is fantastic and far more rare and sensible car than the 458 but: a).I’ve never been a Honda guy or dreamt about one and, b). As beautiful as it is it just shares to many styling lines of other Acura/Honda cars

11. Borrow’d Mine

Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Well you scored the F higher. If money not an issue then go with your gut

12. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Aren’t they the same??

13. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Buy the NSX

14. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020

I somewhat agree with they are “Different” but not “Different Worlds”.

I see a 350Z as “Different Worlds” but not here to argue.

After driving both, I was pleasantly surprised by the NSX but couldn’t get over the sound... and yes... pedigree..

OUSFerrari, besides sound and pedigree, what makes it so “apart” in your opinion. Honestly asking..

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You should buy the car that satisfies you. Other opinions are irrelevant. You will be the one spending your money and then owning it.

Boomhauer and greg328 like this.
  16. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    There’s a reason that brand new NSX’s can be had for $128,000.

They only sold 238 in 2019 That tells you all you need to know.

458 all day, everyday and twice on Sunday.

jim g and IloveGT like this.
  17. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree. Buy what suits you. I am just 100% Ferrari. I will never own another brand although Lambo has tempted me. For me, it it history, brand, looks, smell of the leather, sound, braking, gearbox ....I drove my friends 458 on a track in 2013 and bought one the next day. Never looked back. I have not driven a NSX but can’t imagine there is any comparison. (Not taking HP - too many cars out there now with HP more than 458. I have owned 2 -458’s and every single time I drive it I have a smile (including my drive today). Not because of what anyone else thinks - just because I frickin love to drive this car!

14RE458 and Borrow’d Mine like this.
  18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    It’s one of the best cars ever made for sure!

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    @$100k if you can get one, the NSX as a track weapon (reliability).
    As an exotic, the only one you have at a time, the 458 all the way.

20. eg9

eg9 Rookie

Jan 4, 2020
    Great responses... decision made.. now for the search...
    Thanks all for the brainstorming.

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Nissan makes Skyline GTR
    Honda makes NSX.
    Just so you know.

dustman and Boomhauer like this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    100k...buy a used Porsche gt4 or a Lotus Evora 400. You get a real sports car.

I have test driven the new NSX. Even the steering and brake feel are simulated, let alone the sound. It was not the same old NSX that put Ferrari on alert.

23. Don't own either, but have had lots of seat time in both.

As others have said, both are great cars, but different.

The NSX is like an Apple Watch. Lots of tech, very little mechanical or visceral feel to it.

The 458 is like an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. Low tech (by today's standards, just don't tell NASA), but oozes old-school charm that only a hand-wound mechanical watch can have.

Both tell time just fine, one better than the other, just as both the NSX and the 458 can get you from Point A to B, one better than other. Which one? Depends on your world view.

Have fun shopping.

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    How about an original '90 NSX? They have bounced off the bottom and look a pretty safe bet.You also get to keep quite a nice bundle of cash.

Gordon Murray knows a thing or two about cars,as did Ayrton.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If there is one thing I have found over the years, it is that everyone has a different criteria when judging a car. It almost always seems to involve some sort of an emotional feeling that one car gives you over the other. Because of that it is impossible for me (and you) to judge how a car might effect someone. I almost bought a NSX (for 75K off sticker), and I spent sometime behind the wheel of one. It is a technical masterpiece but for me it was just not that exciting (almost as boring as a R8) a car to drive. But I use far different criteria than most (than anyone I've ever come across), and I look for things others do not. I do have a 458 spider, and yesterday brought home another BMW i8 (my first one was a 2014 this one is newer and a lot better car), which I never thought I'd buy another one of. Though I also thought I'd be done with Ferrari after they stopped making manuals. Who knows maybe I will find a purpose for the NSX somewhere down the road. Buy the car you like, not a car strangers behind keyboards like.

Caeruleus11 likes this.