C-8 Corvette a disappointment | FerrariChat

C-8 Corvette a disappointment

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bill ochrane, Jan 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    GM is now displaying the new 2020 Corvettes on tour at dealerships. I went to a dealership to take a look with the local Corvette club. For some reason, GM decided to display this plain jane car. This one was blue with black engine intake and black brake calipers. Absolutely nothing "popped" on this car. Not your typical showroom car. They let people sit in the car, so the interior was off white, dirty and torn. While my Ferrari engine is highly visible through the glass, the engine in the Vet is not very visible at all. The Corvette club members that I saw did not seem all that excited. Funny, but when I drove up to the dealership a guy in a 2019 white Vet asked me if I was going to trade my Ferrari in on a new Vet, and said he would try to buy it if I did.

2. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    The C8 will be a great bargain sports car....in 3 years just like the rest of them.

I'm 360 Canuck and AtSomePoint like this.
  3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I'm looking forward to seeing one in person myself. Not a fan of the exterior design. Too angular and over the top for me-- but that's always been Corvette. I was luke warm over the look of the 458 in photos until I saw one in person. Now my favorite Ferrari (that I can afford!). But with that said I really disliked the interior and dash layout. Nothing like seeing and experiencing with your own eyes in 3D. How well the details are done will tell me a lot about the new C8.

Kainedogg, 14RE458 and Red 27 like this.
  4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Which is this "C8"? A 360 or a 430?

googles...oh, I see its an american sports car. Too bad we don't have a forum for folks to discuss those...

Thomas Magnum, G. Pepper and kes7u like this.
  5. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Spot on. There was a previous multi-page discussion here about the C8 as well. I suppose when this one has gone on for a few pages, I'll let the Mods know to move this one as well.

Kevin

6. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    I started the last C8 thread about how it would affect 360 & 430 prices. It was a good thread and stayed on topic for a while.... until it didn’t. At the end of the day, guys that want an analog driving experience will seek the analog driving experience.

Internal combustion engines for the street are on borrowed time. We are living through their last hurrah.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

kes7u likes this.
  7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    So what's the verdict? Are you trading?

8. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    Am I trading? Oh, Hell no.

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The C8 looks like a great 60K sports car not to be compared to a great 300K sports car.. The C8 is not a Ferrari it is a 60 to 80 K new mid engine sports car .. Not selling my scud or any Ferrari to get one .. But I AM getting one just gotta give it a try....order is in...

chris0315 and EastMemphis like this.
  10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Or a Japanese sub-forum. They have made some terrific sports cars that have stood the test of time.

Looking forward to your threads about the car after delivery.

LARRYH likes this.
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #11 TheMayor, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    I sat in one. I'm buying a convertible. Its a great "I don't care" car for hitting the roads. Hope to get it in late summer.

Is it special? No. Is it a bargain? Absolutely. Why am I buying it? To have a worry free sports GT hardtop convertible I can take anywhere, park anywhere, get fixed anywhere, and not worry if a moron hits me.

IMO the exterior styling is "just OK", the interior a bit odd, but the usability off the charts.

And if anything it shows just how much some exotic makers screw us over. Apple Car play in a 488? $4200. Apple Car play in a C8? Standard.

The 2LT package is full of all kinds of goodies including head up display, back up camera in the rearview mirror, side detection radar, rear backup camera, front camera that can record for hours, heated and cooled seats, power seats, heated steering wheel, 16 speaker Bose audio system, wireless phone charging, and some other nifty do-dads.

Say what you want but as a daily driver, this thing has plenty to offer.

Attached Files:

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      File size:
      398.4 KB
      Views:
    • q.PNG
      q.PNG
      File size:
      313.8 KB
      Views:
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm going to wait about two years before deciding if I want a C8 to compliment my Ferrari. I can see how this car could be a lot of fun for very little cash outlay. I'm waiting a few years as I'll be buying a lease return or one some fool dumped after a year. I suspect the prices for used C8's will be high in the first year but after a few years production has been dumped into the world, the used market should be healthy and plentiful with lots of examples to choose from.

arkferrari, sherrillt and jehu999 like this.
  13. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Well said Mayor, and my feelings as well. Still waiting on my time to order one.

anunakki likes this.
  14. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Pray you are wrong. Loathe the e-car

15. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    I’ll probably pick one up in the next few years. My chances of ever owning a Ferrari or anything of that nature are slim as I’ve got a family to think of, but this car at its price point will scratch that itch and then some.

A great entry into the sports car market.

14RE458, chas-3 and Blueboost like this.
  16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am buying one (though I bowed out on the first run), since I refuse to pay sticker price. I will wait for Kerbeck to go through all the folks (last I heard the list with deposit was over 1200 people) who are going to pay sticker and then I will ask for a deal. So far I am impressed with what GM did, I am sure I can make it even better.

DARKLIGHT likes this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I won't pay OVER but MSRP doesn't bother me. I'd rather not wait for a year or whatever.

18. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    The C8 will have a noticeable dent on the used exotic market. You get 7/10 exotic car styling, with 11/10 the performance at 1/3 to 1/5 the price. As others have said, the electrification will soon create dinosaurs of all these cars. Its basically going from dynamite to nuclear.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Normally I am not known for my patience when it comes to getting any car, but I have enough to keep me busy (and I am still on the hunt to a 4C spider to take apart). I have a feeling that not all the buyers who have put down deposits will be getting the car, and I may end up with one sooner than I think. From my experience I have found that when it comes to cars people tend to want the cache of the brand as much or more than the performance There are a lot of cars that can outperform an older Ferrari, but usually when I point that out, the comments I get lead me to believe that there are more people who want that prancing horse than the best car.

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Nice to see this thread is in the proper forum now. :)

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    You're assuming it's an either-or position when that's not the case.

Here comes the new 911 Turbo, time to sell the Ferrari or Lambo! Here comes the new C8 Corvette! Time to sell the C7...

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    great post. As you say it’s what you want as a daily and has all the gizmos a modern luxury suv has.
    But if you want a Ferrari for the “drive” the Vette will not compare, at least not yet.

admittedly most Ferrari’s and porches are not “driven” and owners motivations for buying them vary.

the c8 is the Vette formula with the motor in the middle. That formula has served the Vette and gm well. It’s not the same thing as a euro exotic.

yes as a don’t care daily sorts car you dont have to worry about that has ample performace the Vette is a deal.

a 360
    Or 430 may be more of an event and more fun to “drive” , different markets.
    I also think we may/could see some future version of the Vette that will have the same “drive” experience as the euro exotics, or maybe not, it is gm after all.

23. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Agree.

24. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    PBT58, GuyIncognito and TheMayor like this.
  25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I actually belong to the corvette forum (as well as a lot of other forums some for as long or longer than I have been here), and each of these forums have a different type of member. You might be surprised to see that there are corvette owners who treat their cars with the same care as you might treat your new F8. You probably think almost all of them would gladly have a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche, but that does not seem to be the case. In fact it seems that many owners use the corvettes the same way most Ferrari owners do, sparingly. Look how many low mileage C7's are out there. Some on here and elsewhere call the C8 a bargain sports car, imagine that an 80K car is a bargain. It is only a bargain when you compare it to something that cost 5 times more, but to the average person 80K is a lot of money for a car with two seats. I also belong to a few Porsche forums and while I think the members here give the corvette mostly the respect it deserves the Porsche forum tend to have that it is a Chevy (and they will be everywhere) mentality. I have never understood (even my girlfriend cannot make me get this) the they are everywhere thing. I had an Evora 400 (gearshift) and it is a great little car (though overpriced), mine was the only one I have ever seen on the road. What that made me think was that there are a lot of people missing out on owning a great drivers car.

boxerman, Grounded, DARKLIGHT and 6 others like this.