Drove a 348 TS Today - How does it compare to a 355? | FerrariChat

Drove a 348 TS Today - How does it compare to a 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by sgtpeper, Jan 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    HI All,

In my continued search to find the right Ferrari for me, I drove a 348TS today and really like the driving dynamic. Compared to my 996 Turbo, it's obviously significantly slower. However, it also just feels even more analog and a bit more like my previous '74 Alfa Spider in that way.

I'm pretty short at 5'5 and I had to sit almost all the way forward to be able to press the clutch to the floor. I'm surprised at how tight the cabin is actually.

The clutch seemed quite heavy - but I think I'm now used to the hydraulic clutch in my Porsche and my Alfa clutch was just so nice and easy.

I was impressed with how compliant the suspension felt. It didn't rattle my teeth out on city streets - which my Porsche does sometimes.

Can someone comment on how different it is to drive a 355? I'm looking for one local in Denver but haven't found one yet.

I drove an F430 6mt and didn't really love it to be honest. I also didn't care for the 550 I drove - but mostly because the clutch was SO heavy and the car is so big I couldn't get comfortable.

It's funny that I'm bothered by a really heavy clutch now - when I was a kid I had numerous cars with race clutches and I was happy to drive them through Chicago rush hour!

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I’m a fan of both cars and would be proud to own either. Love the 348 spider in particular.

F355 has a very light clutch, and lighter steering

348 steering is really great.

I’m not a fan of the seats in the 348. I don’t find them as comfortable.

I’ve not owned a 348 but been told the a/c is also a gremlin for owners. Nothing else to dislike in the 348 except the US seatbelts.

F355 gearbox to me is absolute perfection. I love it even more than the 360 I have or the MT 430 I have driven.

Robb

3. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    5' 5" isn't that short. I'm 5' 9.8790000343401" and I feel a little too big for my 355. I like to have the seat a little forward with the back tilted a bit back. The back hits the rear bulkhead before I reach the best position. When I slide the seat forward to give the back some tilt room, my legs feel scrunched.

Julia likes this.
  4. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I was surprised at how high the seat sits in the 348 - no adjustment there it seems.

I did love the steering in the 348. It wasn't as hard to get started as my Alfa but felt super communicative.

I love driving my Porsche but there's nothing like the personality of the Italian cars - my Alfas have all had it the 348 I drove today definitely had it.

I guess I need to find an F355 to see how it really compares! Anyone in the Denver metro area??

5. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    I know Alfa’s pretty well (have a 73 spider and a 69 gtv) so I know the personality you are referring to and looking for. I haven’t driven a 348, but I do own an F355, and the reason I chose it is because it has so much of the old school ”Italian character”, but with some respectable performance.
    I think you would appreciate very much a 355. Just my opinion of course, but I feel like the 355 was the best of the old style.
    There are quite a few Alfa / Ferrari people here, and I think it is because they (we) are looking for that character you mention.

DaisyCutter and Robb like this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Seriously Robb? My 355 clutch is not what I would call "light". Certainly much heavier than my 308 or any other 3 pedal car I have owned.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a 90 348 and the clutch is lighter than the 83 911 I used to have. Little more feedback in the 348, it feels more like the karts we used to race. More power and refinement in the 355. The 348 will be closer to your old Alfa or a 933 feel wise and also a bit simpler with much more DIY for 348 out here. Both are outstanding for me it came down to the strakes and simplicity plus its what I always wanted. The 355 tempted me for a bit though. The back end is just gorgeous. Try both pick what feels right for you. Good luck!

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Hi Eric,

To be honest, I don't see much difference re DIY between the 355 and 348 other than the active suspension. This is especially true of the 2.7 355 and 348. Basic engine out is simpler on a 355 as there is no valve adjustment on the 355. Both are pretty simple if you know how to diagnose problems.

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree, a lot is the same or it applies, but I am referring to DIY threads out here. There are full engine out threads, multiple ones plus whole video series, plus clutch, voith and just about everything else for 348.

The number of DIY threads and xref parts is more substantial with 348 but working on either outside of engine major is about the same, this is true yes.

I was referring to DIY threads support is all.

10. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Get in a decent f355 stick shift and roll out in 1st gear at 20 mph. Mash the pedal and shift into 2nd. Report back and show pics of your f355 in the garage.

11. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Approximately 80hp and another gear in the box. F355 compares more to 993 twin turbo. A good one is not a slow car.

INTMD8 likes this.
  12. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm hoping to find a 355 I can drive soon for comparison.

I live in Denver so at this altitude, all NA cars take a big hit anyway.

Can anyone comment on what it should really cost for a major service on either car? So many inflated figures floating around.

13. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    I've seen several actual invoices for 348 majors. $5k-$7K. Average was around 45 hours of labor plus parts.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    355 clutch feels light like a Honda to me...

Lighter than an 80’s 911 or corvette. Lighter than my 360.

Can’t remember my 328 but probably similar.

Robb

INTMD8 likes this.
  15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Wonder if it's a difference in the pressure plate? Mine isn't hard, but definitely heavier than my 308 QV which I would assume is similar to a 328.

All I know is that I've put 10k miles on the car since I got it and the clutch is like it was when I got it.

Robb likes this.
  16. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If you get a new clutch you will be surprised at how light it is. I was.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It ain't broke so I ain't fixing it.

18. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Confirm that. I thought the clutch was heavy when I bought my 355, then replaced the clutch shortly after (just the friction plate by the way) cleaned everything up and the action is now quite light.

19. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    And to bring it back to the context of the original post, the clutch is very similar in effort level to a 74 Alfa Spider :)

20. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    If I could have afforded a F355 I would have purchased it over the F348 but I wasn't going to sell my Aston Martin Vantage S to accommodate the better Ferrari. I have no regrets as I do love my 348 and I plan to keep it until my next Ferrari comes along (355... 360???) Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    355 is newer and more modern and it is different but quantifying it as "better' is a tough sell. It depends what your after really. People buy dinos and Mondials for various reasons that are thier own. It's like beauty in the eye etc... speaking of beauty, the 355 back end is better I'll give it that! 355 tail on a 348 would be the end all be all, would it not. See it's the whole better is in the eye of the buyer thing. :)

Btw that looks like it's parked in weehawken NJ ?
    Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

axarunner likes this.
  22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

LOL. We're brothers from another mother.

I use the same terminology, knowing full well that I'm actually more like 5'8" !

23. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yea, I definitely think I need to find a 355 to test here in Denver to make a final decision.

If I got for a 348 I would definitely get a Spider - it really fits the lines to me. If I get a 355 I feel like a GTB or GTS would fit it better. Anyone have thoughts on that?

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    No pics of the 348 from yesterday?

25. Philipnz

Philipnz Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    Whitianga New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Philip Hart
    I had and loved a 348 spider. There were numerous changes when the spider gtb and gts replaced the TS series. Arguably for the better. I think the spider in particular was closer to the 355 in setup.

I recall having a flat battery once and my dealer insisting it was in the back but a google search told me it was tucked in the front wheel well. Which had me totally screwed as you have to take the wheel off to get to it and I had no jack due to no spare Tyre!