2020 rule/ changes/updates | FerrariChat

2020 rule/ changes/updates

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Formula 1 relax 2020 engine restrictions - https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/50668906

Formula 1 has relaxed restrictions on engine usage for 2020 meaning drivers could suffer fewer grid penalties.

Drivers will next year be able to use three MGU-Ks - a part of the hybrid system - one more than in 2019.

The move brings the MGU-K into line with the other parts of the power-unit in terms of permitted usage.

F1's complex, high-tech turbo-hybrid power-units are officially split into four parts for the purposes of the rules.

In addition to the MGU-K, which recovers energy from the rear axle and redeploys all hybrid-generated electrical energy to the rear wheels, the other three are the internal combustion engine, the turbo and the MGU-H, the part of the hybrid system that recovers energy from the turbo.

In 2020, drivers will be permitted to use three of each part during the season before becoming subject to grid penalties.

In addition, the engines require an electronics control box and a battery, with two of each being permitted for a season.

The change was confirmed in the 2020 rules, which were officially published on 4 December, after a meeting of the FIA World Council, motorsport's legislative body.

No more hiding
    Among other minor tweaks, the chequered flag has been reinstated as the official signal of the end of the race.

This follows a mix-up at this year's Japanese Grand Prix when a system error led to the official light panel at the start-finish line showing a chequered flag signal one lap before the end of the race.

Although the drivers kept racing to the designated grand prix distance, the race result was declared one lap earlier as a consequence of the error.

And teams will no longer be able to use screens in front of their garages to obscure views of their cars during testing.

This is already banned at race meetings, but until now teams had blocked garages from sight in pre-season testing, mainly to stop other teams getting a view of their new designs.

The restriction will be in force from 09:00 to 18:00 local time each day and the only exceptions are when the floor of the car is not fitted or during the recovery and repair of a car damaged in a crash.

Pre-season testing in 2020 is on 19-21 and 26-28 February at Spain's Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    so they’ll have a wall of guys in front of the opening like a penalty kick

4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    DF1 likes this.
  5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What is the purpose of banning the garage screens during testing.....some ridiculous nod to “transparency”? Perhaps football clubs should be able to attend their rivals’ training camps.:rolleyes:

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It all depends where you stand on transparency; myself I am all for it.
    What's the purpose of having garage screens during testing ? I wonder
    It take at least 6 mounts to understand, and copy successfully a different technical solution from an other team, according to Ross Brawn.
    The same Ross Brawn who suggested that the teams could exchange some of their technical informations as a matter of course.
    It certainly goes against the secrecy culture, but it makes sense.

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #7 Jack-the-lad, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    So now F1 tech is open source? How woke!:rolleyes: It seems I lose more respect for Brawn every day....and I used to be a fan. I thought he might be a good counterweight to the FIA/Liberty mindset, but it appears he’s now one of “them.” He should go back to his garden....

375+ and lorenzobandini like this.
  8. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/147517/wolff-hints-at-mercedes-stay-amid-f1-move-rumours

Toto Wolff says he does not see "any surprises" regarding his future, hinting he is likely to stay as Mercedes team boss amid rumours of a switch to Formula 1.

On the back of his success with the German car manufacturer, which has won six consecutive world title doubles, Wolff has been viewed as a potential candidate to lead Liberty Media's control of F1.

Current CEO Chase Carey has a short term rolling contract and made clear at the recent Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that he was not interested in a long-term deal.

That situation has led Liberty to consider alternatives, with Wolff understood to have been sounded out about his potential interest in such a position.

Wolff's future has also been singled out by Lewis Hamilton as a key factor in his own decision to stay at Mercedes beyond 2020, with the pair having built up a strong relationship.

But while Wolff admits that he has a decision to make about his long term plans, he has suggested that moving away from the thrills of running a winning team is not particularly attractive.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can't see any reason why Hamilton and Wolff should rush to do anything different as long as the present success is maintained.
    No need to change a winning team.
    They are living an idylic situation, unlikely to be repeated in F1, IMO, and should make the most of it while it lasts.

DF1 likes this.
  10. DF1

The promoters of the Russian Grand Prix say they are "confident" the race will go ahead despite Russia's four-year ban from all major sporting events.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) imposed the ban on Monday following the Russian doping scandal.

It means the Russia flag and anthem will not be allowed at events such as the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics and football's 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

The 2020 Russian Grand Prix is due to take place in Sochi on 27 September.

Promoters ROSGONKI say it would be "legally and technically impossible" to move the race.

"The contract for holding the Russian round of the Formula 1 World Championship was signed in 2010, long before the events investigated by Wada, and runs until 2025," a ROSGONKI statement said.

"We are confident that the Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix will be held in 2020 and in the following years and invite everyone to Sochi. The ticket sales are in full swing."

Formula 1's governing body, the FIA, is International Olympic Committee-recognised and classified by Wada as a code signatory.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/50721412

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think this ban affects only Russian athletes competing under the Russian flag.

If it was to be applied to the Russian GP, it could only concern Daniil Kvyat, the only Russian national in F1.

12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    F1 teams keeping the 2019 tyres compounds for 2020 despite the 2020 tyre testing.

13. DF1

Formula 1 will stick with 2019-specification Pirelli rubber next year, after teams unanimously voted to reject the new tyres that were being prepared for 2020.

The prototype 2020 spec - which was designed to reduce tyre degradation, provide a wider working range of temperature and lower overheating in dirty air - had made its race weekend debut during free practice in Austin, but earned largely negative reviews from the drivers who had sampled it.

As a result, the possibility of sticking with this year's tyres was broached, and while Pirelli said it would be open to this, it was hopeful that the two-day post-season test in Abu Dhabi would offer a more representative view of the new tyres.

However, Haas driver and GPDA director Romain Grosjean said he was left with largely the same impression at Yas Marina - and the FIA has now confirmed the teams took a "unanimous decision" to stick with the 2019 spec.

"The FIA would like to thank both Pirelli and all the teams for their work and collaboration to improve the tyres for the 2020 season and beyond," the FIA statement added.

"In any case, the lessons learnt will be invaluable for the further improvement of the tyres in the future."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/147562/teams-unanimously-veto-2020-pirelli-f1-tyres

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So, from now on, everything will be the same !! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Pirelli delivering quality, as usual.

I suppose that teams prefer the known evil than the shot in the dark that new Pirellis always are. Also this is the last season with this regulations, so why bother to change them.

stavura, classic308 and DF1 like this.
  16. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    MB will be happy!

stavura likes this.
  17. DF1

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  19. DF1

For the new concept cars for 2021 yes. Not for this final year I feel. Why put resources into old tires and cars when 2021 is where it matters. I would limit the 2020 efforts as the tires are part of that limit.

20. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think that F1 is at a crossroads. Continue to set rules that permit/encourage teams to push the limits of development, or focus on exciting racing. I used to think that they were not mutually exclusive, but I have changed my mind. The resources; financial, institutional, and human required to fight for wins are so high and/or scarce that only two or three teams at most are competitive. Often it is only one.

Unfortunately, those top teams are the ones who hold sway when it comes to writing the rules. The governing bodies bend to the demands of the big guys who they believe are critical to the continued viability of the sport. Capping the money spent won't do it because the big guys can always find a way around the cap. Those teams are far more interested in dominating the sport than leveling the playing field.

It seems to me that it would be easy to identify a few areas of development that are the most expensive in terms of cash and capabilities. Standardizing wings, brakes, gearboxes, etc. should even things a bit. I don't think we need to go full spec-series, but these modern cars are so complex that some simplification might put more emphasis back on drive talent. How many could-have-been-great drivers never rose to the top because there were only 2-4 seats that could propel a driver to a WDC? During the past three seasons, how many drivers really had a shot at the WDC?

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Why do you see that as being "unfortunate" ?
    "Who pays the piper calls the tune".
    Like in any other business, those companies who invest heavily in F1 should have a say in it.