488 - Why are Pistas not selling ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Why are Pistas not selling ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Texas2step, Jan 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Are you saying supply and demand principles don't apply in Pista-land?

3% of speciales for sale would appear to be as if they were in higher demand. I'm just agreeing with you...

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Also, there's no way Ferrari doesn't do a special edition of the F8. They're a publicly traded company and they will ram out whatever their customers keep buying and judging by the increasing production numbers of their VS cars the bean counters are probably salivating as we speak at the thought of an F8 VS.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #28 Shadowfax, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    That may have been how it was but with Pista that was not the case from what I saw. Guys like me who were first Ferrari buyers (with 488) were given preference over many of the so called special buyers of old. Most given allocation to PIsta's were screened as having clear intentions of driving the car regularly and in manner which it was designed for. Back when the allocation list was put together and closed off on there was no news of F8 and the market was very solid. Not the case today. It's a new world. The days for flipping for profit are long gone.

I'm sure the majority given allocation had best intentions of keeping their Pista's but unfortunately Ferrari's game backfired very badly and at a time of significant market softening and, economic uncertainty, and all of this left some in a position they hadn't financially bargained for. The unexpected release of F8 only served to drive the final nails into the coffin for 488 and also affected the mindset toward Pista. Ferrari may not care to realise this but they have lost a lot of trust and cost many 488 owners a lot of money - make no mistake about that. I hear it all the time now. I just know from my own huge losses which I had never imagined possible for a brand like Ferrari in such a short space of time. Some would without doubt be clearing off their Pista purely to safeguard against further losses (which they may not be up to) and, if Ferrari drops an F8 vs out it could get even worse (if that's possible given today's market). Ferrari really has lost a LOT of trust with many enthusiasts I've spoken to and I'm only relatively new to the brand and quite frankly after what they have done I wouldn't trust a damn thing they said anymore. So I don't blame anyone for getting out now if they aren't up to taking a hit because the market doesn't look like it's to ever going to recover to how it was. Pista owners need to accept the fact the value of their car is going to soften so they may as well drive the pants out of it and take whatever beating comes down the track with a smile in their face. That's my take on it anyway. It's time Pista owners started driving their cars and stopped all this moth balling and BSing and posing around as if it's something too precious to use. It's just a car for gods sakes. Use it!!

Insofar as @Thecadster's account I agree with him 100%. I also keep a very close watch on the used car market on the high end models and from what little I can see moving all these cars are absolutely history insofar as being a safe bet.There is very little used car movement over 300k unless it's perfect spec and at the right price. It's now a buyers market today and for the foreseeable future. I really pity those buying newer production Ferrari models at their current asking prices. Boy that would have to be a concern especially those who extend themselves to get into these brands. Very risky.

4. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    My pista sold pretty quick without any advertising and got some premium. not possible to make money cuz Lusso lost way more. Had fun with my pista for like 7 months, now I can’t wait for the spider.

of2worlds, Shadowfax and Thecadster like this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Come on: whilst your conclusions might be sound this is naive - there is a 25 year history of run-out models - some limited - some not - just before the next one comes out - 348/355/360/430/458/GTO/TDF all spring easily to mind

petrol_junkie likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Pista’s will sell just maybe not at $50k+ premiums

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    i apologize but I just don’t understand the point you are trying to make.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And yet numerous insiders have stated no F8 VS.
    Emissions regulations indicate likely no VS.
    The impending release of the little brother v6 hybrid indicates likely no VS.

we don’t know what will happen but an F8 vs is far from a sure thing.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My dealer (largest in the US) says absolutely there has been no talk about a F8VS. Exact quote? "More Ferrari Chat nonsense that has no basis in reality".

FWIW.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As Shadowfax said, things have changed significantly. Also, one thing to keep in mind. The F8 is already a special version of the 488 situated between the 488 and Pista. The LB V6 is about debut this year, so that will basically be the F8 replacement.

From every and all source I've spoken to, chatted with, or emailed, some of which are very reliable and in-the-know, there will not be an F8 VS.

As you said yourself, Ferrari is a publicly traded company and getting the LB V6 out will make a lot more sense, than trying to sell a souped up version of the F8 that might devalue the LB V6.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think it really depends on where you are. Here in my neck of the woods, a Speciale will sit longer than a Pista - and they only move if the price is reasonable. Looks like the times of selling Speciales way above MSRP here in Europe is over. There was a really nicely specced low mileage example sitting at my dealers this summer, and it only moved out when it hit around MSRP. Like I've said many times, there's a big difference between high priced cars sitting for 24 months at a dealer with no interest, compared to cars that change hands and sell. Only one is representative of the actual market value:)

of2worlds and Shadowfax like this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Yeah- lets introduce a v6 hybrid and then also introduce another special version of a 12 year old platform that has had a 458, 458 spider, Speciale, speciale A, 488, 488 spider, Pista, Pista Spider F8 and F8 spider - 10 cars. Whats one more. what the hell, lets add one more to that platform.

PTG1 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  13. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The title of this thread could easily be modified to include 812's and others not moving. I actually with my funds ready to go, tried to buy unsuccessfully 3 812's. I offered what to me was a fair price and enough difference between a new ordered one and trade differences. I admire these owners/dealers as holding firm but time will tell who gives in first. My 812 is ordered and I will still follow the Ferrari market. The problem with great almost new cars not holding their values, my 488 is also going down too.

of2worlds and tfazio like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Lol. The absurdity and reality of that gave me a good laugh. Thank you:)

But honestly, I do think even though the 4XX platform has been milked for all its worth, I think even Ferrari can see the absurdity in putting out yet another version of it. There is so much focus on what's coming next already, that I don't think they feel the need to milk it any further.

SoCal to az likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Time to move on to the hybrid series- good or bad.

As far as Pistas not selling, I’ll tell you one thing for sure. I’m not selling mine.

16. I must be an idiot.

Because I just bought a Pista.

Melons, stavura, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  17. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    NO F8 VS

ale75, Caeruleus11, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  18. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Just get out there and drive. You’ll feel more like a genius. Who cares about this nonsense anyway. Unless you’re buying a true collectable (that won’t be driven) we are all making poor economic choices buying these cars. Ditto for a boat, plane, motorcycle. You worked hard to be in a position to own one. Go enjoy the fruits.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just depends on the price you paid ;)
    Joke aside, one is not supposed to buy a car to make money (generally speaking), so even a car depreciating is not necessarily an evil purchase.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Don’t sell but how about let your buddy Jon borrow it for a while?

Borrow’d Mine and SoCal to az like this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    FIFY. :)

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sounds like a plan. lets make it happen.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Another member who has had good intel in the past saying no F8 VS. TY for confirming.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I guess when my Pista arrives at my dealer I should just let it sit there and not pay for it!!

If anyone bought these to make $50k and not enjoy them, you were better off putting $400k in the US stock market (S&P 500 mutual fund) at the start of 2019 and you would have made $120k.

Just drive and enjoy or stop buying Ferrari’s and follow Warren Buffet. You will have more cash in your pocket but a lot less fun!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ferrame, of2worlds, stavura and 7 others like this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have never understood the whole buying the car as an investment. If yo want to invest, invest. If you want to drive a fun car, there is a cost associated with that. Granted if you can drive your car and at the end lose as little as possible, that's great. But thats a bonus, not the reason to buy these cars.