456 Key Fob and Doors | FerrariChat

456 Key Fob and Doors

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Larmoss, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Larmoss

Larmoss Rookie

Jan 29, 2008
    My 1999 456M GT is giving me problems with the door not closing. I use a "black key" - have to blip it once to start the car. Often when turning the car off, the door won't close. I don't have any instructions and never received any when I bought the car. What's the secret to the Ferrari Key Fob?
    Larry

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The door won't latch closed... or the door won't lock (with the fob)?

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    It may be the lock mechanism or wiring, not necessarily the fob. I had an issue with my 550 where the doors were not locking properly and it was the wiring that was the problem.

4. Larmoss

Larmoss Rookie

Jan 29, 2008
    Sometimes, when I exit the car and try to close the door, it won't latch closed. If I start it back up and try to drive away - it won't close until a minute or so goes by, and then closes.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Hopefully your doors aren't drooping (due to worn hinge pins). I assume you've tried lubricating the latch with WD40 or something similar?

Does the window drop when you open the door?

Did you read the warning in the manual about opening the door from the inside with the lock tab up?

6. Larmoss

Larmoss Rookie

Jan 29, 2008
    Doors don't droop and windows operate fine....didn't see anything about opening the door with the lock tab up? Is that my problem?

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I've read the manuals a few times and I haven't been able to figure out why the warning is there (possible mechanical damage or electrical problems?), so I just throw that in my messages as general advice :D

Sorry, I've run out of ideas. Although, from your description, it does sound more mechanical than electric.

Experts?

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Are the windows going down to enable closing the door?

9. Larmoss

Larmoss Rookie

Jan 29, 2008
    yes, the windows operate fine. I just don't fully the immobilizer system. I know I have to press the key fob to start the car, when I turn the car off and close the door, sometimes the door doesn't close. eventually it does.....So, I guess my question is, what is the function of the key fob, does it matter whether I use the black or red, and what do I have to do if the door doesn't close? thanks in advance............

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm having problems understanding your sentence. Are you activating the fob after you have turned off the ignition? Or are you only activating the fob after you have exited the vehicle and closed the door?

The engine immobiliser will auto-activate a certain time period after you have turned off the ignition. You only need to use the fob to lock the doors and to arm the alarm system after you have exited the vehicle, not immediately after turning off the ignition. If you exit the vehicle quickly after turning off the ignition, pushing the fob button will activate the engine immobliser, too.

I have a secure garage for my car, so I don't bother using the fob after parking my car in the garage. Automatic engine immobilisation is sufficient security for me.