308 Cut Off Valve Replacement | FerrariChat

308 Cut Off Valve Replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by lou staller, Jan 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    I've searched the parts cross reference sticky and searched for an alternative cut off valve for my 308 QV but didn't find any new threads with any updates. I saw that there were alternative valves from a Saab or early GM cars but couldn't find any of them being available. Does anyone have info on a valve that might still be available? Thanks!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Saabguy likes this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    121751 original
    147390 superseded
    (Just adding the F PNs for future searches - and the superseded one looks very much like the parts Brian posted.)

4. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Yes, the air injection shut off valve. While doing something in the engine compartment I noticed the small hose was not on the top of the valve. The plastic nipple was broken off and in the end of the hose. I'm going to take the valve off to see if I can repair the valve by possibly replacing the plastic nipple with a small piece aluminum pipe. If it turns out to be too weak I'll just buy a replacement, now that I have the replacement part info. Thanks so much!

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What and how exactly this shut off valve works on a QV, and does the small fitting on top of the valve create vacuum while the engine is running? I tried to blow and suck air from it but the air just goes through and no vacuum when the engine is off.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    No, the way it should work is that when vacuum is applied to the small fitting (via the electrovalve during cold-running) the cutoff valve should be open allowing the exhaust pulses to draw fresh air (in the direction of the arrow) into the exhaust stream. During warm-running, no vacuum is applied to the small fitting so the valve is closed and no fresh air enters the exhaust stream.

If you blow in the direction of the arrow on the cut-off valve (with no vacuum on the small fitting), and air flows = the cut-off valve is bad (and a bad cutoff valve will muck up the Lambda operation).

However, the cut-off valve is not designed to prevent flow if you blow against the direction of the arrow (i.e., in that direction, even a good valve can be "blown" open).

Another test would to blow (or suck) into the small fitting -- the chamber that it connects to should be always fully sealed. If you get a sustained airflow = confirms the diaphragm inside is broken.

There is a good figure (Fig. 77) showing the internal construction of the cut-off valve on page D100 of the TR WSM if you have access to a copy.

miketuason likes this.
  7. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Saabguy likes this.
  8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes (but airflow only occurs during cold-running -- i.e., only when the water thermoswitch is cold/closed = energizes electrovalve = puts vacuum onto the small fitting of the cutoff valve = opens cutoff valve).

miketuason likes this.
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That valve is a big reason the check valves should be replaced at services. They get rusty, then leak and the leakage of exhaust gas back up the hoses cooks the hoses and melts the shut off valve. Check valves should be a standard service item.

Steve Magnusson and miketuason like this.
  10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    BLACK HORSE likes this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I quit using off brand valves years ago. Had too many prematurely fail and burn up a bunch of expensive parts upstream. I use only Delco branded now.

miketuason likes this.
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Is that entire air injection system even necessary? Isn't it just an emissions thing?

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Only if you like clean air.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    But doesn't it shut off once the car get up to temperature? Isn't it just to help get the cat up to temp quickly?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Clean air? I doubt that all the Ferrairs evey made have produced as much air polution as one year's production if Honda Civics. :)

Saabguy likes this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am more than a little surprised you don't know what it does.

Sorry but I grew up in a California that had post apocalyptic air. We had time outs between plays in major league games so players could breath bottled air. I think automotive smog control, especially totally passive items like this are good.

If you really don't care its fine with me but the sooner you quit driving the better off we'll be.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

I didn't say I don't care. I just made an observational comment that (polution/mile) x miles driven is the more relavant number. In any case, I'm not one who has tampered wit the emissions controls on my cars. My cars, when required, always pasted the sniff test in CT, and presumably would today, though CT doesn't require testing for cars 25 yrs ol dor more.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

My airpump was removed by the original owner in 1983 on my 308QV, which I acquired in 2001. I passed emissions every year in Long Island, NY, when it was required.

Texas only tests for emissions in 17 counties, great place for the rest of us who want to breathe clean air. Florida does not inspect for safety or emissions, so all this BS about concerns for air pollution is a joke.

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    *Waves from Florida*

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yep, I have a place in vero beach and we just registered a 2015 mini there for my wife. Nothing, nada.

Hey, maybe that's why no one signals when turning, the signals don't work and they don't know. ;-)

21. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    No vehicle inspections in Tennessee either.

22. jhh925

jhh925 Rookie

Dec 2, 2015
    Reno
    Full Name:
    Jens
    The Saab part seems to be NLA, and the Napa part seems to be out of stock.

Is there a Delco part number that will work on a 328 engine?

Or will this Mercedes part work: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0001407760 ??

23. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Certainly looks like it would work functionally. Only trouble might be the hose nipples might be a different size and use a different hose diameter.