Been a lurker for a while, think I’m ready to buy a Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Been a lurker for a while, think I’m ready to buy a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CoreyNJ, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vance4re

Vance4re Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2018
    Atlanta,GA
    Full Name:
    Vance
    F430!!

2. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    Go V12 and get the 599!

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I forget sometimes you normal types have dreams about owning things, I am sorry I don't ever mean to bust anyone's bubble, I like Ferrari's, I like Corvettes, and Porsche's, Lamborghini's (especially the ones I turn into RWD) Alfa's, Maserati's, AMG's, BMW's MB's, Miata's and a lot more. I just like to take cars apart, the more I can change the better I like the car. Which is why my 997S (with 335k worth of modifications is my favorite car). I will gracefully end my replies on this thread with a good luck in your search OP

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    This

G. Pepper likes this.
  5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    OK been doing more thinking. The 458 seems like it drives like a normal car until you want it to not drive like a normal car, then it is absolutely outrageous. Very digital is what I have been told (no test drives yet). The 430 F1 seems to drive like an analog exotic all the time, which I think is something I really could enjoy for a weekend toy. So I think I'm leaning now more toward either the 430 (no loan) or a 599 (with a loan).

So now some questions if I go 430 or 599...

Carbon Fiber brakes - how common are these? Forgetting the performance improvement and unsprung weight, I do like the look and the idea that they don't "rust" on the hub. If I do get a steel brake car, do people use 2 piece aftermarket rotors to avoid that issue? Or is there something else you do? I think when you spend so much on a car, it looks like crap to see rust on the inside of the wheel hub when you though look at the brakes. What is the premium (if any) on a car with Carbon Fiber Brakes?

I know there were a lot of improvements in the 2008 F430, but if I buy a 2006 or 2007 (seem to be much more common for a coupe, which I want), are changing the headers to prevent a catastrophic failure that absolute first thing I should do if they have not been updated to the later headers or aftermarket? If they haven't been updated, I assume that affects the price as well since it is an immediate 3 to 5k that would need to be put in the car? Are their upgraded F1 clutches that last longer or is only the OEM available? Not that I'd change the clutch right away, but it would be good to know for when I do, since this is a hidden cost on the 430 vs the 458. OK not hidden, but not something to allocate spare cash for. Finally "Sticky buttons", what does it generally cost to redo all the sticky areas on a 430 (assuming a complete strip down, refinish and laser lettering). I can do the labor for that one removing and re-installing pieces. I enjoy wrenching on that kind of stuff, but I usually pay a mechanic to do maintenance work because it's generally not fun.

Finally, if I buy the car before spring, there may be a small period of time it may have to stay outside in cold NJ weather while I sort out the garage situation (i.e. clean up my junk) since my wife put a stop to getting a lift to stack cars. I really don't want to leave the GT3 outside in the winter because of the rear wing. Always afraid in really cold weather it will develop cracks. Are there any similar concerns I should have for a 430? If the deal is good enough in the next month or so, I could leave the car in Florida for the rest of the winter but it would mean not driving till spring, so I might as well wait to purchase till spring.

If I decide to go for the 599, I would have to take a loan. The biggest concern for me there is unexpected costs with the addition having the extra cost of a loan. What are the typical weak points on the 599 that would need to be taken care of immediately? Once they are taken care of are they fixed forever like the headers on the 430 or is it something that you need to take care of periodically? What is the "Sticky Button" cost to completely redo an 599?

I think that's all my questions I can think of. I do want to start test driving cars soon and realize I may have to hop on a plane when I find the right car to get a CPO and look it over, so I want to be completely informed when I do, since that is an expense for every potential car unless they are close (i.e. NJ, PA, NY, CT)

Thanks for everyone's advise,
    Cheers,
    Corey

6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Pay cash if you can, you will be happier

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Personally ceramic brakes are a big deal for longevity, looks and being something special.
    Remember the HGTE is lowered.
    Lots of HGTE conversions out there but the 2007's dont have all the updates.
    I still say a 458 with a lift kit is your best bet. The most beautiful car Ferrari has put out in decades. That said my next one wont be a 458 because I'm hunting something else.
    Drive a 599. I love the concept but they are still big front engined cars. I was looking at them seriously for awhile. Perhaps thats a good alternative with a GT3 in the garage too. I have a GT2 but looking for another classic Ferrari sports car.

Oh and get the lift while she is away.
    Forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission.
    Been there done that.

8. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Oy, is all I can think of, and I like this thread....

Don't buy a Ferrari if you are worried about money.
    Unless you are a seasoned mechanic or a racer don't worried about performance, unsprung weight , steel rotors, aftermarket clutches, etc. Buy the best conditioned car you can find , start your search now, expect it to take +2months.
    A small loan vs no loan , no big deal imo, as long as you can afford it and won't worry about it.
    Get the lift.

9. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Thanks. I know owning a Ferrari can be expensive. It’s just you don’t want to forget that and have it eat to deeply into my hobby money. I have a lot of non-car hobbies that can be expensive and my agreement with my wife is that if I blow my budget, she gets to spend the same on her hobbies (shoes and bags). LOL.

As for the lift, if I got something like that without her buy in. I might as well buy the most comfortable couch I can find also because that’s where I’ll be sleeping. She isn’t a car person so doesn’t understand how useful it can be. Back in 05 the only way I could get her to swap out her Audi Avant Wagon for a Cayenne was to tell her it had a heated steering wheel because her Audi had a wood one.

Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    again, if you can , a lift adds resale ( ;) )

misery loves company … my wife found out how much ,,, now I need to build an addition for the shoes... :eek:

:)

11. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    2015 458 with a front lift

or

(pick a year) 570S Track Pack with a lift….hear me out

Don't let that haters steer you away from McLaren. The newer cars, 570S in general is a VERY reliable car. And it outperforms the 458 in every way possible….well…except exhaust sound. I was on team 458 after my last Ferrari…then I test drove a 570S, I never looked back. It's that good. If I were you I'd test drive EVERYTHING and then decide! That's the only way.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Good luck man!

12. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Corey: just some words of encouragement. No matter which of the Ferraris you get, you're going to love it. Its a win-win situation. Best of luck in your search.

13. lewishou

lewishou Rookie

Jun 7, 2008
    Atherton, CA
    Unless you need the instant gratification, why not save for another 1-2 years and get a 430 Scuderia? Prices are coming down, and is not that much different than a later year 458. Just my biased opinion, but it just seems more special. The interior does not feel dated at all. It sounds great and has that old school analog feel.

14. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    After driving a 430 Scud I was a little bit disappointed. I expected more from it after so much hype and boost some people were giving it. It was a bit rough ride. But that's how they intended it to be.

I was much more impressed with 458 and how it drove. It's amazing. The looks, the sound, they got it all right. And a 488 isn't a big upgrade to that really if any. In many ways a 458 is the car to get, a classic in the making. 430 suffers a bit from a middle child-syndrome just like 488 will. This should not offend anyone as it's the truth. Based on driving experiences.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  15. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    So the 488 IS a huge upgrade. Just saying. The 458 sounds amazing though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Owned a GT3 and currently an RS. Had a Scud and 458..... borrow a few bucks and get a 458. Hands down the wiser choice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #42 Mikestradale, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Testdrive a 458 and 599. Both cars are very different. I have bought my 599GTB F1 (no HGTE) at the end of 2013. 26k km in 6 years, added another 100+ km today, I still love this car so much. Might be the best Ferrari ever built. V12, 620hp, it’s fast but also easy to use as a daily driver. I am usually bored with a car after 2-3 years (2001 360, 2004 gt3, 2007 r8). But the 599 (and CS!) is a keeper.

18. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    About maintenance. I can send you a $10k invoice of my 360 Spider (cambelt variator broke) and a $10k invoice of my 599 (front ccb’s replaced, long story). Driving Ferrari’s is not cheap...

19. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Newer 430 owner and recommend you not let people talk you out of that model if that’s where your choice is pointing. Watch the Normal Guy Supercar YouTube videos to see what the normal failure items are, how easy the car is to work on, and costs you might expect.

There are low mile examples out there with upgraded exhaust manifolds and low wear on the clutch, plus if you buy an 08 or 09 they came standard with Carbon Ceramic brakes, as well as all the upgrades that were made. And they’re in the same ball park price wise as the 05-07.

Love my 08 430!

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  20. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    458 with lift. Mine is a 2011, no regrets. Watch the Top Gear YouTube of Jeremy Clarkson borrowing Jame's 430, to drag race a new then 458. If you buy a 430, then watch the video, you will have buyer's remorse.

21. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    If you watch Jeremy Clarkson’s review of the 430 when it came out he said it was the best car he had ever driven. So while it may not be a 458 it’s still a really nice car.

22. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The 458 may be a better car for a number of reasons except those that truly matter. The styling, feel behind the wheel, how you are using it, and how much do you want to spend.

I’m sorry, I just can’t appreciate the styling of the 458 as much as the F430. If the F430 is truly as analog is as the 458 is digital, I definitely made the right choice.

I want that heavier old school mechanical feeling and the F1 transmission compared to the dual clutch hits that sweet spot for me. You have to modulate and drive it like a manual. The e-diff was a concession that I could live with.

I told the owner on the test drive this is a lot more comfortable than I expected. Some people say the F430 isn’t made for touring. If you need that and went with the 458 damn your old! I say it in jest. Enjoy your boulevard cruiser. Whoops, there I go again!

AandSC and G. Pepper like this.
  23. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Have any of these cars been test driven?