Ferrari Challenge Stradale clutch issue | FerrariChat

Ferrari Challenge Stradale clutch issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mediterranean, Jan 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mediterranean

Mediterranean Rookie

Jan 3, 2011
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Goodnight everyone. I tell you my problem. 10 days ago I bought a Ferrari Challenge Stradale, apparently with a newly changed clutch. Shown with seller invoice. I did not notice anything in the test before purchase. It happens that the day they gave it to me I went to drive it and I noticed how, at high revolutions, from third to fourth gear the car did not execute the gear, it held and directly passed to fifth gear. I take it to official Ferrari and the diagnosis shows that the clutch is 100 percent in use. Conclusion: you have to disassemble the gearbox, see what happens and replace the clutch. Ferrari tells me that possibly when they put on the new clutch (not at Ferrari, in a specialized establishment), they didn't make the adjustment due. My question: Is it possible that a clutch has worn out in just 100 km? Does the appreciation that Ferrari has made me logical? It will not be that the wear message that seems to Ferrari really means that the wear of the previous clutch has not been erased, that is, that the current clutch is perfect, and that the wear message is from the other clutch, which is not Have you updated with the software? Of course, what I am clear about is my immediate claim to the seller. Thank you very much to all.

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'd drop it at the dealer.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  3. Mediterranean

Mediterranean Rookie

Jan 3, 2011
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Yes, I left it in Ferrari official dealer. But it is very strange that is necessary to replace the clutch only after 100 kilometers. Many thanks, Sir! I will say you.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I wouldn't be surprised if the clutch position sensor is not giving the correct signal. They can lift the car up and unscrew the plate with the holes on the bottom of the transmission and with a caliper measure the clutch thickness right there. If it is worn out at THIS measurement, then yes.. I would replace the clutch.
    Do I believe that a clutch can be worn in 100km.. possibly. You'd smell it I would suspect if this was the case. I wouldn't *think* the clutch should be trashed in 100km.. but.. Knowing how bad Ferrari drivers, I never say never.

Oengus and flash32 like this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    There is no way the clutch is worn in 100 km ..you would have smelt a very strong burning smell also it would have revs without moving .. it sounds like it may have not been setup up correctly with the proper tools .....

Maybe the throw out bearing went and ruined clutch ?

I would question dealer a little more for an explanation

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Yeah I ageee, 100km won’t kill a clutch.
    The sensor is probably off like mentioned above.
    Probably and hopefully not a big issue...

7. Mediterranean

Mediterranean Rookie

Jan 3, 2011
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Thank you very much for your answer! Ferrari has chosen to disassemble the gearbox and see that it is ... I understand that before they should make sure if there is a sensor problem or adjustment of the new clutch, as the first measurement of investigation to be taken, if I am not mistaken.

8. Mediterranean

Mediterranean Rookie

Jan 3, 2011
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Thank you very much for your answer. I agree with you, it is very strange that complete wear in 100 km, no strange smell was there!

9. Mediterranean

Mediterranean Rookie

Jan 3, 2011
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Thanks, Sir! I hope so...

10. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    When they find the reason for these problem please inform us, so the symptoms and the solution can be kind of "archived" here. As this is the largest Ferrariforum & database in the world. Thank you! :)

11. Mediterranean

Mediterranean Rookie

Jan 3, 2011
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Louis
    After asking Ferrari if the problem may be due to a lack of calibration of the new clutch through the precise Ferrari machine, now they answer what it may be. That before dismantling the gearbox and seeing the clutch they will indicate to the ECU that there is a new clutch. And after its result, it will be seen if the clutch is damaged or not by that possible lack of update. In short, they could have started with something so basic before deciding to open the case and see the status of the clutch. I am informing you ... Thank you!

billy.gif likes this.
  12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I doubt it fried the clutch that quick. It's really important to have the proper parameters input. I'll be doing a clutch on my car in the near future and was rather surprised with how little the few Ferrari shops in the state knew about programming a new clutch when I called. On a trailer for a few hours to the nearest FNA it is....

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

wow

14. Mediterranean

Mediterranean Rookie

Jan 3, 2011
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Ferrari informs me that the diagnostic program gives two errors: 1) clutch position sensor (P1710), 2) clutches with wrong selection (P1770). Therefore, they tell me that they have to disassemble the gearbox and see the clutch. It still seems strange to me that after this calibration the clutch continues to appear as 100% worn. I am informing you of any news. Thank you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

billy.gif likes this.