Dealer stripped threads in Hub ? | FerrariChat

Dealer stripped threads in Hub ?

Discussion in '612/599' started by dream-builder, Jan 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dream-builder

dream-builder Rookie

Jan 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert White
    Hi, hoping someone can help me here, my wife bought a brand new Ferrari 599 back in 2008, it has only ever been serviced at the our local dealer we bought the car from, took it in for a service and two new front tires last Thursday and got a call saying the front nearside hub has stripped a thread for the wheel bolt and it is a £305 repair to replace the nut! They said it was from corrosion and then told me the bolts appear to have stretched? Also stated that all the wheel bolts show this problem and that all the hubs will need a repair as the threads might strip and we can potentially have a wheel fall off whilst driving.

I have never ever heard of this problem with any car ever! I think that the wheel bolts have been over-torqued by the dealer. No one has ever had the wheels off except this very same dealer. I think they stripped the wheel bolt and hub thread and are trying to get me to pay for their mistake.
    I found a hub studs on famaga and thinking of bringing my car back and trying to replace them by myself?

Is there anyone on here who has ever heard of this problem with the Ferrari 599? Our Ferrari 599 has 41000 miles on it and has never had a problem before. Our car is in immaculate condition, no rust or corrosion, has not been abused and has had full service history from new with the very same dealer we bought it from. This is the third set of front tires fitted to the Ferrari 599, so it has not had the wheels removed an excessive amount of times.

Any advice would be really appreciated, many thanks in advance.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like someone used an impact driver instead of a torque wrench. There are no studs for Ferrari wheels, they use wheel bolts that thread into the hub. If they are the only ones who have touched her, I would have a very serious talk with the service manager and let him know you expect them to fix the problem they, and they alone, created.

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    This is exactly what I would have done prior to creating a post here. Good Luck and if you outline it exactly as you did here, I am betting you will have a positive outcome.
    Only hurdle is that you can prove it has not been anywhere other than the Dealership in the last 12 years.

GL , hoping for a positive outcome for you!

Steve

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ As above. My only add would be to start out with a polite conversation. Don't start angry or with accusations.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

You would think that after all these years the dealer would know you and the car very well. I hope they do the right thing.

599_GTO likes this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I HATE this phrase. It usually occurs just before you get scre......

Ianjoub likes this.