Just when I thought I'd seen it all.... | FerrariChat

Just when I thought I'd seen it all....

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Newman, Jan 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, and on a 5 speed no less! :(

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    This one was on Erwin's blog. The car was advertised a few years ago in France. Seller wanted ~ €50.000. In my quest for a clean cylinder head I think I was offered the original motor for this car, but the head was even worse than mine, so the original engine would have required lots of money to get back to its former glory.

I kind of like Otto's car (despite the V8), not sure about this one: the diesel engine is no match to the gearbox and axle ratio of the car, so this swap is technically wrong and aesthetically not my cup of tea.

At least the car was "saved" and one day the parts can be re-used.

4. MAGIMEL

MAGIMEL Rookie

Aug 12, 2011
    Saint-Raphaël, France
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    I am the owner of this car and i can confirm that the engine has been properly installed and adapted by mechanical engineers. They have kept the original gearbox. The clutch bell has been manufactured specifically in order to adapt the engine.

The differential has been removed and replaced. It has been specially manufactured by Ferrari in order to get the right gear reduction with the engine.

Also, the vehicule has been approved and qualified by French administration with this new engine.

The original engine has been sold out to Mulhouse Ferrari garage, it has been exposed as a decoration (and unfortunately destroyed by a fire…).

rovexienus likes this.
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Maybe the translation is at fault here but Ferrari specially manufacturing a rear differential for a diesel engine from a combine in a 400 is highly unlikely.

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I guess they replaced the manual giff with an "off the shelf" auto-transmission diff that has a higher ratio. So taking into account the overdrive ratio of the manual 5th gear plus the higher ratio of auto diff, this could indeed do the trick.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    That's different than teaming up with the R&D department at Ferrari to develop a diff for his application.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Got to agree... But let's be fair to the owner of the car: I wrote in a previous post that this conversion was "technically wrong", in the end the conversion appears to have been reasonably though out and even legally approved (which is not as easy as it seems here in France).

Not enough horse-powers though :)

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The essence of a Ferrari is missing, which is the engine so technically correct doesn't cross my mind. Its become a utility vehicle like a Peugeot 504 sedan. Now if it had a 550 engine in it and looked factory I would be wishing it was mine.

davidoloan likes this.
  10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Could even be a custom ring and pinion gear. Wonder what ratio? Maybe something like a 2.41?

Also wonder what a set of custom gears would cost to have made?

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ones I have made for Testarossa's and Boxers are $6K Canadian but more complicated than what a 400 would have.

Ak Jim likes this.