Beware of this car | FerrariChat

Beware of this car

Discussion in '360/430' started by imahorse, Dec 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I just want people to be aware of vin ZFFYU51A110123613 this car was crashed, and was doctored up numerous times to make it look like not a big deal. Pieces of framework were cut out, the fender was hammered flat, and a new bottom tray was zip tied before it was sent to auction. Now the company that bought it added a broken headlight and a bumper to hide the damage even more. The black car is mine and shows how it should be. I wanted to share this here in case somebody googled the vin. This kind of practice is wrong on so many levels. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jaguar36 likes this.
  2. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    To be fair, the silver car has a salvage title and the company selling it is called "Sur Motor Cars: Salvage and Repairable Car Dealer". Salvage buyers need to know what they are getting into. Youtuber Samcrac is fun to watch (buys and repairs salvage cars). He finds lots of cars where the original crash pics are quite bad but a few hours of hammering and zip ties make the car look much better by the time it shows up on the salvage auction web site.

Friend was looking at a newer low-mileage Honda Accord the other day. Dealer played typical "if we don't sell this by tomorrow, it is going to auction so make a quick offer". Price was pretty good. A quick Google VIN search found many crash pics which of course the dealer knew nothing about. Ugh.

Buyer beware.

psych0hans, billboboy and Eric C like this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I think the issue he's bringing up is that there is clearly structural damage on the car and the current seller stuck a bumper on it to cover up what would be considered major $$$ damage. I don't see this car ever selling unless the price is cut in half, you can get a repaired, rebuilt title car for what this crackhead is asking.

Apollo 11 and imahorse like this.
  4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Poor thing.. needs to be put out of its misery and disassembled for parts.
    Or maybe a guy can take a rivet gun and some old no trespassing signs and rivet it back together. You know make a Youtube show of it.

5. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I'd be more than happy to try and save it. I purposefully buy neglected cars and save them. I'm actually in the market for another 360 that needs saving. With all of these YouTube builders though, these copart auction cars have gone up a bit in price since anybody thinks they can do it. I ended up offering them $25k for it just for giggles. They said that they would drop it from $45k to $44k if I bought it that day.... I'm pretty sure there is a still a yellow rebuilt 360 for that price on ebay. After seeing all of the doctoring up this car has had cosmetically, it makes me much more weary looking for projects than I have been. It's a shame that this sort of thing happens.

6. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    This car is being bought. It popped up on instagram. I found the buyer and told him everything. He is a youtuber... and told me he talked to other youtubers and they said it's an easy rebuild. He pretty much blew me off. Whatever. Apparently if you don't have a youtube channel you don't know anything. God I hate my generation.
    I guess we'll probably be hearing more about it soon...

UrbanHero and NewYorkLego like this.
  7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ya'll are crazy if you think that's a difficult fix.

Offered him 25K? Put it out of it's misery? Disassembled for parts? Ya'll are the reason the prices on these cars are dropping as fast as they are.

Sounds like you're just pissed that he didn't accept your ridiculous offer.

8. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    #8 imahorse, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    I never made a serious offer. I more or less wanted to call them out on their bs. It isn't even about how hard the fix is. I've rebuilt cars in worse shape. It's about (god forbid) not committing borderline fraud! If you think these are acceptable business practices, please don't start selling cars.

UrbanHero and Ballvice like this.
  9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    So you're OK with someone taking an aluminum bodied car with frame damage and presumably doing some superficial repair to it and driving it on the road pretending its OK? Do us a favor, if you or a family member buys a car that is misrepresented, or worse.. is seriously injured because the "repairs" alter the cars ability to absorb an impact properly.. do the world a favor and don't complain about it. You're not thinking this through far enough...

10. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You made him an offer. Call him out on his BS? What BS? I don't see anything that suggests he bs'd anyone. What framework? A rad support and bumper mount is now framework? This guys business is to sell fixer uppers / Salvage title cars. You're comparing pictures from a salvage to pictures of the car now with misaligned parts. Have you inspected the car or are you just assuming he didn't repair it because of some misaligned body panels?

Show me a for sale ad that says the car was properly repaired and I'll apologize.

Frame damage again. Show me the frame damage.

Also, tell me the last time someone you know was seriously injured because a previous fender bender.

Jaguar36, Tarek307 and SpencerMarks like this.
  11. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I'm not going to ask for an apology. I will however, continue to stand by my statement asking you to not sell cars if you think that intentionally deceiving your customers is an acceptable business practice.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  12. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I guess you're not going provide proof that he deceived his customers. Surely you have emails, texts or a for sale ad that can back up your claims. Right?

13. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Nope. Gathering all of that would be about as much of a waste of time as continuing arguing with you since I had no intention of buying such a messed up car when I could buy a rebuilt one for the same price (the yellow one on ebay). I was sharing the info I had in hopes of informing the potential buyer of what they are getting into. The initial pictures posted by the company in question were of the car in the same shape as in the auction photos. I didn't save the pictures because I didn't know they would pull this stunt (which according to their reviews, they do a lot). If you think it is such a great car, I can direct you to the person who bought it to see if he would sell it to you. As far as if it is right or wrong, you are more than welcome to think that is an acceptable practice, but I, along with many others will not agree with you. Have a nice day.

brogenville, UrbanHero and Apollo 11 like this.
  14. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Weird.

15. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I can not comment on the facts here as did not see the photos that imahorse saw.

However, in a recent You-Tube video by a guy called Samcrac, he boasted that he purchased a frame-damaged 360 that he claimed he could repair in his garage without the benefit of a lift, proper tools, or even the skills to accomplish the task. Ultimately, he claimed to have repaired the unibody damage by stapling and gluing it back together.

He gets laughs, makes one glaring mistake after another (like overfilling the engine oil), all done with the intent to make one video after another grabbing a million fly-by viewers for advertising dollars. Big joke.

Engineers with sophisticated computer software designed these vehicles, and you have jack asses like Samcrac providing a get-rich-scheme to those viewers who respect what he is doing and may be convinced that they can do it too.

A future buyer takes his life in his hands with a vehicle that has it's crash protection compromised, and God only knows what handling limitations now exist in a vehicle that may not even track straight. Does Samcrac care? No way. He has cashed in and moved on.

I have spent many an hour talking with fellow engineers who are car nuts, and they agree with me that there should be something more than a salvage title to alert buyers to what may be lurking in the vehicle they are purchasing.

California's CARB emission control procedures are onerous, yet where are similar consumer protection safeguards for vehicle crash protection and handling issues in a salvage title rebuild?

16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric

I'm not sure about other states as in California. But here, you must go through a series of inspections with the State Police and also provide receipts/documentation that all repairs match the insurance estimate. Once all this is done, you can then apply for a Rebuilt Title.

A buddy of mine went through this process and they actually dismantled his car to make sure the repairs were actually done. Again, this is in missouri so who knows if other states do this.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  17. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am pleased to hear that there are some states that offer consumer protection against charlatans like Samcrac.

18. frankgoodson

frankgoodson Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    Which state was your friend in?

19. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Actually Sam didn’t buy a frame damaged car - it was listed as “under carriage” damage - which turned out to be in the passenger footwell. It was repaired easily - the issues with the car began when he over filled the oil sump - which cost him a lot of time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

one4torque likes this.
  20. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Missouri

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sorry for the delay. Roof is structural element, body shop glued it and didn't properly rivet/weld it on.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/07/26/texas-used-car-roof-attached-with-glue/

So.. yeah. Frame damage. Again.

22. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This is the sort of attitude I am fighting. You or Samcrac are in no position to judge whether damage to an aluminum unibody can be repaired to factory specifications in your home garage.

Social media is not excuse for spouting ignorant nonsense.

23. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    Wow! A lot going on here. Not sure why anyone is getting heated? You own a Ferrari, smile...

So I’m going to take a step back. First, I’m the “YouTuber” who bought the Ferrari that “Horse” referenced. Hope you don’t mind I abbreviated your name. However, I don’t consider myself to be a YouTuber by today’s standards but I suppose by definition.

Second, never insinuated you weren’t knowledgeable nor referenced the fact that you did or did not have a YouTube channel yourself. I resent that. In fact, quite the contrary as I asked for your insight and thanked you for reaching out in the first place. You didn’t have to and I’m appreciative. I absorbed your option, as well as the option of two other Ferrari owners with identical knowledge and evidence of said cars past. I should also mention you extended out assistance in the future should I need it. Thanks!

Lastly, I like Eric’s point of view because we’re all discussing something we don’t know. I rolled the dice. The Carfax suggests a full service in 2017 and I have information of this being sold at Barrett Jackson 1 year before the accident for $70k (and longer ago for $88). It can’t be that bad of a car, past the damage.

I made sure to get a lot of photos, videos, and information from the Salvage Yard prior to making my offer. At the end of the day, I too am hoping for the best.

That all being said; you’ve all seen the photos and I acknowledge you’re all more familiar than I. So, where should I start sourcing parts? I know “google it” but I mean from your experience. Where is the best bang for the buck?

24. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Welcome to the craziness of Ferrari ownership. Ha!

Find what you can through ebay and other used parts vendors first. No point in wasting money on new parts. Have you made a list of what parts you need?

Jhills14 likes this.
  25. Jhills14

Jhills14 Karting

Feb 3, 2020
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    James Hills
    Car hasn’t arrived. So I’ve not purchased anything, yet. However, I have the exploded diagram of parts under that fender/bumper and am prepared. This will be a garage build.

Ebay for sure, but I keep hearing these stories from guys I know who say they reached out to some salvage yard and picked up parts for 1/3 the price. So I was hoping to get someone’s “connect” and get in on some of these deals!