Lifting Points for a Quick Jack | FerrariChat

Lifting Points for a Quick Jack

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nuno Andrade, Feb 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Fchaters, any recommendations on lifting points for a Quick Jack 5000 EXT?
    If I use the “normal” lifting points (pink on the picture) the jacks will not be parallel as per Quick Jack instructions Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I have the same jack for years now and i use the points just move the front point in it wors just fine.

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Can't imagine why the jacks would have to be parallel. They are not mechanically connected/fixed to each other in any way, are they? Seems an odd thing to "require" in the users manual... ;)

I'm casually thinking about purchasing the 5000. Does it provide more clearance under the car than a set of jack stands can provide? I realize it's easier to use but it's not as if I jack my 328 frequently and when figuring the cost/effectiveness vs stuff I already have and use for the purpose, the biggest plus for me would be if it lifts higher than jack stands. My 328 is the only car I would use it on...

4. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    It does lift higher than standard axle stands allow, and lifts the car evenly. These cars twist when lifted with jacks unless each side is raised / lowered in total unionism. The 5000 solves that issue as well

5. bonneaud

bonneaud Karting

May 3, 2004
    Yes they have to be parallel or the jack will start to "protest" and will stop lifting. The best place to lift is still on the frame directly under the oblique arms behind the front wheels ( same as illustrated on the diagram) but the rear point is more outward on the similar oblique arm in front of the rear wheels, so that the ramps are parallel. This is a very strong point where all is welded together. Just make sure you don't open the door once on the lift as you will never close it until you are back down ! Only weakness of the Quick Jack is that the ramps are short allowing for the engine portion not to be supported but it is still the best on the market and gives plenty of lift for any kind of work under ( nice to warm up the concrete floor before you slide under and don't forget your protective glasses, you will be looking up! )

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They have to be parallel otherwise there will be a side load on them.

7. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    That is why I bought the EXT version

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Mike, I tested mine today and looks like a good alternative for those who cannot have the 4 or 2 polls for whatever reason...you have a grace period of 30 days, so you can always return it if you are not happy. Buy the EXT version.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I thought each one was totally independent except for the hydraulic hose connection. So it seemed to me that it wouldn't matter at all whether they were parallel under the car as long as each jack was under the same lift points on each side. I guess I don't understand how they work, thanks!

Nuno, thanks for the info - I'll order the EXT!

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They don't raise straight up the lift arms pivot in an arc therefore they have to be parallel. The car is going to move longitudinally maybe a quarter or third the length of the arm.

Watch a video and you'll get it.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Because you can't drag the bottom of the car in 2 different directions.

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Now I'm more confused! We are just lifting straight up; there shouldn't be any "dragging" involved.:oops: It wouldn't be any different than if we put floor jacks on each side of the car and had everybody operating the handles at the same time. The car would just raise up off the ground.

I'll watch the video...o_O

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mike - floor Jacks have wheels, the jack moves because the lift arm raises in an arc. The pad does not stay in the same position vertically over the jack body. Same with Quickjack but it's fixed yo the floor so the car moves.

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I suppose I should have said push, instead of drag. Paul explained it quite well though.

15. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I know it takes me a while to raise and lower the car in the tight garages I've had (city dweller and renter). I've had my car shift around as I bring it up and lower it on all four corners. When you don't have a lot of space it is easy to see how much it moves. It still have to put the one i bought together. but I fell better and safer this way. Even though it has locks I will still be putting extra jack stands for safety.

16. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Another option is to orient the assemblies perpendicular to the car, rather than parallel to the wheelbase. This allows much more flexibility in the choice of jack points, and allows the rails to be parallel to each other even when the front and rear jack points aren't in line with the car's longitudinal axis.