355 Vs 993 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

355 Vs 993

Discussion in '348/355' started by madturk, Oct 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yea, I'm not going to take that to the bank. LOL These are cars, not investments. people really need to get a grip and understand that.

Cole_ve and Ferrarium like this.
  2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  3. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    What I mean, is that 3-4 years ago the 993 and F355 reached bottom price and ever since they have appreciated about 30%...

Still, compared to a modern Ferrari 488 / Porsche 992 , these car will have a huge depreciation (at least 30-40%) in the coming years (especially the Porsche that is more mass produced, the 488 might lose a little less in term of %, but with an initial high price, still a lot of money)

So, would you rather spend abou $130k for a new Porsche 992 which in 3-4 years will be worth $80k , or about $280k for a new 488 which in 3-4 years will be valued at $210k ??

Or just pay about $60-70k for a good 993 manual or $80-90 for top F355 ?? And guess what, both cars in 3-4 years will be worth exactly the same or even 10-20% more

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    This is what I was referring to. I wouldn't count on that for a minute. 3 years ago I could have consigned my (1 owner) 308 QGTB QV for over $100k or take $75k on the spot when I talked to F40. Mike walked around the car and offered me $75 on the spot. Last year I talked to Mike again, out of curiosity, and the offer was $50 on the spot, consign for $70k. It's no different for a 355 or a 993. There is no crystal ball telling us which way prices will go. To believe they will only go up is naïve. Even cars like the GTO have seen their ups and downs.

Cole_ve, PhilB and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am not so sure about future prices. I suspect the market has moved on. I suspect the peak is behind us. Time will tell but these can in no way be seen as an investment unless your talking investing in your indulgence or what not. That's fine but dont plan on making money is all, it takes the fun out of ownership I find.

The 993 will come way down once the market gets bored and moves to the next shiny bobble. Just like muscle cars did.

I just don't see the market indicating the 355 being that next shiny bobble. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  6. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    A lot people will wonder how the F355 and Porsche 993 even deserve a comparison. It's a great conversation about two models that are each coming into their own as collector cars, with a lot more in common than many will initially realize.

What model do you think of when you think of Porsche?

Most people will probably think of a 308 when discussion of Ferrari arises.

The 355, by the end of its run, had become Ferrari's best seller. It was essentially the last refinement of a platform that started with the 308. It would become the model that defined the end of an era for Ferrari. Some people will even go as far as to say that it was the last "real" Ferrari.

The 993 is quite similar. Since it was the last air-cooled 911, many do call it the last true 911. The 996 and later variants just won't be held in the same regard with the Porsche purists. Water-cooled engines and Tiptronic transmissions? "Teardrop" headlights and no center rear reflector?

If you still think there isn't much likeness to what these models represent to their respective marque, just consider all the ways the successor models were similar. A 360 is to Ferrari what a 996 is to Porsche.

I do think F355 prices are poised to suffer a little over the next few years, but I think this has more to do with the classic car market as a whole rather than anything specific to the 355. On a long enough timeline, 355 values (measured in dollars) will continue a climb.

hacker-pschorr, mclaudio and ZF123 like this.
  7. piezopaul

piezopaul Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2014
    Winston Salem, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Nice e9 coupe.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Image Unavailable, Please Login It should be clear by now who the geniuses are in this thread :).

I digress. Found an old video between a 2.7 355 and a 993 RS. They did a power check on the 355, 993 RS, NSX-R, and other various tuned 90’s cars using the same dyno. 333 ps vs 297 ps. They then put the cars on track although it was a rainy day. Naturally aspirated cars handled the situation better vs their Turbo-powered peers.

The driving experience of a 355 vs a top of the line “track-oriented” NA 993 is clear as day in the video. Imagine if the 355 had a full after-market exhaust system, light-weight seats, and Fiorano handling pack ;).

I’ve said it many times before and will continue to say it again… 90’s sport cars under $200k MSRP, the 355 is the true 90’s king. A top of the line special edition NSX (Japan only) would probably be my second choice. F355 gives a true sense of occasion just in standard form. Daily drivability? Everything else but a 355 :).

mclaudio and INTMD8 like this.
  9. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

They got some balls slinging a 20mil McLaren around a wet track, good video

10. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Was $1million back then, not $20m like now.

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Great video!

ShineKen likes this.