458 - Ceramic Coating Brand Recommendations | FerrariChat

458 Ceramic Coating Brand Recommendations

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by giorizzo, Feb 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. giorizzo

giorizzo Rookie

Feb 4, 2020
    Dutchess County, New York
    Full Name:
    Gina Iorizzo
    Hi all,

I’ve got a 458 and 2 daily-drivers — E350, and C300 — that I would like to put ceramic coating on. Yet, I hear so many different things about which brand to use.

Would appreciate some recommendations. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s not so much the brand but the installer. Find a good reputable shop and let them do their magic. Don’t worry so much about the brand.

3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I've put ceramic coating on myself before. I don't much care for it. The consumer stuff takes a long time to get sticky, and while it works, I just don't wash my cars often enough. They are still dirty all the time, the ceramic just makes them easier to clean. What I do like is PPF. Not because it is easy to clean, but because I can go six months without washing my 458, then wash it myself and know I'm not damaging the paint.

4. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I've used G-Techniq on a couple of my cars and have been super impressed, however a lot of it is down to the installer and the preparation they put into the bodywork prior to applying the ceramic coating.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dont put ceramic on the paint on the 458. do ppf and then ceramic on that car

billboboy likes this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I've given up on ceramic coatings. I've had them professionally installed which cost a lot and I've done the prep and install myself and can't tell a difference. Both ways does the same job and lasts equally as long.

I've been playing around on my daily driver... new Jeep Grand Cherokee with various spray on easy to apply ceramic sprays. I've tried Mequires, Mothers, F11,Exforma, The Last Coat. So far The Last Coat lasts longest and is very hydrophobic. Mothers new spray seems to work really good too. F11 does not last after 1-2 washes.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    really zero reason to use ceramic on a weekend car. ceramic is all about protection so on a car that lives outside in the northeast might make sense.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I would disagree about the ceramic. I just had it done on my 720 - massive improvement but that could also be due to my installer who is meticulous and does a lot of prep work prior to coating.

Im getting my Pista fully wrapped and coated.

Just picked up my new daily driver- an M8 - getting the front wrapped and coated as well.

Yes its pricey but I see a massive difference in the cars before and after coating.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in the south i cld see the sun being an issue where ceramic makes sense - again i wldnt do it on paint. an equally prepped car with carnuba will look deeper than the synthetic stuff.

up4speed likes this.
  10. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    how is PPF these days?
    especially on metallic paints like grigio and stuff I found them always taking away too much of shine and depth?
    I've done (somebody did for me actually) gyeon on my Porsche on GT-silver and it looked fantastic! But I still remember the days with my ocean blue metallic Porsche and liquid glass politure. my all time benchmark

11. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Will all due respect to the one and only SoCal to az. I have a bit of a different thought.

I have experience with Gyeon (two versions), Kamikaze (all 4 versions), Carpro, Ceramic Pro and recently
    IGL. I have used these products on my 458, Lusso, Pista, M5 along with my wife and kids BMWs... professionally done and done by me.

To me the brand and formula are important. Even my wife .... no offense she is just not a car person, can see and feel the differences. Which one is best? Well I have my views, but it comes done to what is most important to you and paint color also matters. So does PPF or not, some play better with PPF, some have downsides. I would start with what is most important to you. protection? gloss? durability? Longevity? water repellent? Easy of cleaning? Then add the color of the car. Now some installers, who may have a brand commitment agreement to supplement to their income or brand fans may say they have the one product that does it all. Sorry I’m not there.

Now the wrong installer can make a mess out of the process real quick. But hey I now have done a few of my own cars with good to almost excellent results. As said above the biggest impact is the prep (like the 50hour paint / CF correction I had done on the Pista) So my view reasonable skill / experience with the right brand and formula is important... I’m far, far from downing magic but I’m finding out I’m good enough... except for that one high spot on my wife’s car... that I’m only seem to have seen.

None of the big brands and quality detailer are going to disappoint you. Just a matter of how far you want to go in pursuing THE solution.
    By the way the future in paint coating just might be Graphene.
    Brad

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    good post and I don’t necessarily disagree. I found an incredible installer and I don’t know what he uses but the results are spectacular.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the installation isn't the crucial part, its the prep - which holds true for all detailing

up4speed and SoCal to az like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Totally agree. I had no clue why my guy charged 1200 bucks for ceramic coating and then I saw the process- it’s hours and hours of polishing and cleaning prior to application. A lot of prep work. After the paint is corrected and perfect, then the ceramic coat goes on top

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so that's the thing most people are observing - when it comes down to it, if you see a ceramic job that looks "better" its most likely not the ceramic - it's that the detailer can get away with charging 1200 to 2500 for ceramic and the prep is crucial so they're actually doing the prep. if you take the same prep and finish it with carnuba, people are only willing to pay 500 to 700 for that.

16. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    when having my car done, I was specifically told by the installer not to put ceramic coating onto ppf as it prevents the ppf from self healing.

His advice was to just use a carnuba wax on the areas that have ppf and then ceramic coat the rest (and paint correct the hell out of the car before you do either).

2 years later and the ppf is perfect and the ceramic coating hasn’t even needed topping up and that for a car that has done 10k miles over that period and lives outside in the U.K. !

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ceramic needs to be polished/wet sanded off to remove it. first rule in detailing is use the least abrasive products as seldom as possible. putting ceramic on paint isn't something id do. ive spoken with the best of them but different strokes for different folks.

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Which is why I stated in my original post that its not the brand but the installer. Again- agree with you.

19. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Interesting thread!
    Three follow up points.
    Seems like all the big names in detailing in the UK, Mideast and U.S., the guys charging $2K to 20K for paint correction are adding most times adding a ceramic coating to the top of the corrected paint. Many times on cars that make my Pista look like a starter car.

Second, many of those high end detailer are putting the normal formulated ceramics over the top of the off PPF and don’t seem to buy into the not flexible enough argument. I personally went with a formula made for PPF. Mostly for the ability to be chemically removed vs polishing ( polishing the top of plastic PPF just sounds like a bad idea). The added flexibility is a nice side benefit.

As for removing a coat, I will let others chime in here, but when I have made a mistake it takes nothing near wet sanding to remove the coating. Same for a year + old coating. Let’s remember the best “ advertised” ceramic hardness is a H9 or H10, on the pencil scale. I personally have never seen a hardness claim certified by a third party lab ( if you have please share). The pencil on your desk is most likely a #2,3 or 4 Hardness.

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yep my posts weren’t a response to ur points - more was just putting my understanding out there for the op

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Big difference for me with the ceramic coating. I haven't washed my Huracan in 3 months. Don't drive in the rain, wipe down the windshield and glass engine bonnet periodically. Still looks radiant in the sun. In fact, I've conditioned the leather interior twice since the last time I washed the H. Usually it's the other way around.

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes the real value of ceramic is protection and ur doing whoever washed your car a favor. for a ferrari garage queen its like wearing a condom even when you aren't having sex.

TomC9786 likes this.
  23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Even though I rarely have to wash the H, when I do it's much easier. Rinse with a deionized water filter on the hose at low volume and the soap comes off readily in sheets with prominent water beading. Use a car blower and wipe down the windows.

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    It is all about prep work!!!!!
    My detailer spent 22 hours paint prepping my 2010 .
    Looked good to me before fantastic after.
    After washing I blow the water off car is dry in 5 minutes without touching it. No chance of swirl marks.
    Once ceramic in too late for paint correction.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  25. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1 I feel EXACTLY the same way. If the paint is detailed properly, that's where the shine comes from. I then put a coat of carnuba on for the depth and protection, and use a Master Blaster to blow dry it. It always looks amazing, and I only have to slap a coat of wax on once a year at most (for a limited use vehicle).