Maserati Khamsin | Page 318 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    So this one post 7921 is AM120US1126.

Oldest history I have is owned by Chris Christensen of Heber Springs Arkansas in its original silver, he may have bought it out of Florida, then later on years after he sold it he saw it still silver in Florida again in Fort Lauderdale (photos).

In 2008 I was contactd by a Ralf B in the Stutgart area in Germany: this is what he shared:
    The Car was sold new to Florida, from there it came 1993 to Monaco, later it was sold to Switzerland, 2000 it was sold to Munich, Germany, I bought it 2001, since this time the car is in Stuttgart, Germany!
    That´s all I know about the car.

End of quote...so now it is gold, personally I find it a much more pleasant color than silver:) Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7928 Nembo1777, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Hi Roger so yes 186 is the blue one automatic, also by the way the car of the top photo in post 7925, this one was new to Japan then in Spain for most of its life. Automatic with unusual looking gear lever and gate for an auto K and of course unusual front side indicators.

1066 is also automatic, the "decapitated Khamsin", the car that early in its life had a truck with long overhang over the rear axle back into it in a workshop courtyard and tear off part of the roof. I had heard about this it happened many years ago, in the US northeast. It then spent several decades stored and was repaired in recent years and sold by a minor dealer in California...the seller was very cute about it, talking about a garage door that was closed onto the roof and the glass...had errr...been misplaced:rolleyes:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

great research on 1126 !!
    that explains a few things, have you noted the carrozzeria No is 550168 ?

Only one snag, I thought the car advertised in Monaco (below), was this very same car, but it does not quite match the dates mentioned by Ralph B.
    It was for sale in 2001, when it should have been in Munich or Stuttgart already, so that must probably be another car:

For sale in Classic & Sportscar July 2001, page 88
    Maserati Khamsin, 1975, silver, black leather,
    35'000 km, Price 165 000 FF
    Palais de l'Automobile
    1, Boulevard du Jardin Exotique
    98000 Monaco
    www.palaisauto.com
    www.dpm-motors.com
    photo shows car with 2 black rear view mirrors
    number plate (white plates with black characters: 5018 GC 24

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7930 Nembo1777, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Hi Roger, many thanks:)

Good thinking but that is another silver car, which is amazing but then again Monaco is small but the purchasing potential is huge, AM120US1082 with plate 2A (not 24) for Corsica [half of Corsica is 2A the other half you guessed it 2B there are one or two there I am chasing FYI including 1072 horrible car hopefully by now restored and the remains of the crashed 044 were sld to Corsica to aid a project in about 2011] 1082 built 1975 sold new to Los Angeles. It had much later been owned by Mr Graziani a Corsican vintage racer, I met him at a Dijon 2005 race weekend and he said he used it in Paris and that the big US bumpers were perfect for Paris "contact parking."!:) He was NOT a concours person at all lol.

He had sold it to a Belgian who then sold or consigned it to belgian dealer Marcel Roks, here is what he had to say:

"In early 2001 this car had returned from the US and was imported into France where it was road-registered in March 2001 with plate 5018-GD-2A in the name of a certain Mr. Jean Graziani in the South of France.

He kept this car until August 2001 when the car was purchased by its present Belgian owner.

Even though the car was in a very original and low-mileage condition the owner decided to give the car into the hands of Classic Car Service in Deurne - Belgium.

They were ordered to bring the car’s bodywork, bumpers and tail-lights to European specifications as that is more appreciated by European collectors.

The conversion included fitting the tail-lights into the small rear glass-panel in the tail and also fitting a new front and rear-bumper with new indicators. Only original and correct parts were used for this conversion and these parts came from Carrozzeria Campana in Modena.

Then Classic Car Service also took care of a complete repaint in its original Silver colour."

End of quote.

It is now owned by Ben L, a Brit who had had bought it in Belgium, he took part in KHAMSIN QUARANTA in it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

Thanks for these detailed explanations and your first hand knowledge. Great to share with you.

Have a nice weekend

Roger

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think the red one might the winner of the bad luck trophy one year at the MIE event at Quail Lodge. Late 80's or early 90's. That guy showed up obviously WO a car. I thought it had something to do with a forklift? Mandarano would remember. Probably in the MIE magazine.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob,

Who knows, I was told by one of the owners of MIE, can't recall if it was Mandarano or McMullen, that a silver K had been so damaged by a forklift and an idiot that it was declared totalled: I believe it was this one, at left, with its hood/bonnet resting on the car at center. He told me it had been scrapped and that he had no paper trial about which chassis it was. It happened in a harbor so I don't think it was the car you mention but if course several cars have been scrapped and we will never know what happened to them, hey will just remain question marks...

staatsof likes this.
  9. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    Khamsin US version being tested around Torino. I'm sure somebody here will know its chassis number ;-). In any case it's interesting that they were testing it in Torino. Image Unavailable, Please Login

rga and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for posting this. Sometimes they used production cars for trips when they had something official to do in Turin. I think it was Giancarlo Martinelli that told me once he had to go to Turin and had a choice between a Dyane staff car (a tiny Citroen like a 2CV) or a Khamsin: guess what he chose! On the autostrada a truck pulled out without having seen him arrive and he flat spotted his tires but avoided it thanks to the very powerful LHM brakes whereas he said in a Ghibli with less powerful ones he would have hit it hard.

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    That has to be the worst angle to take a photo of a US bumper Khamsin. It is so wrong in so many ways.

Ivan

12. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    :)

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    However in defense of the US bumpers on the Khamsin, they are actually fantastic to place your drinks while sitting in your chair at a car show. Nice and wide, covered in Armor-All so you don’t have to worry about spills. They can also hold a couple of Subway Foot Longs. Can’t do that with those little Euro Bumpers. If you’re doing the picnic basket route, opening the rear hatch on the Bora works best, can also keep things warm.

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Khamsin help needed. I need to get the exact location for the Euro front side marker lights. The small round lights. Distance from top belt line crease, bottom rocker crease. Distance from wheel well.

thanks

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Joe,

Here is a profile photo (of AM120-100 taken April 2010, Zurich lake, CH). If you save it and magnify it it will help you. And since this is an Italian car you should go by eye by instinct just like using the right amount of basil in your pesto sauce, you don't distill it by mathematical formula but by instinct, by feeling;-) Same here, when I fitted Euro indicators on my US Khamsin I first had the bodywork guy fill in the rectangular holes of the US indicators then I picked the spot for the Euro round indicators such as you show in your photo by eye. I suppose you are also removing the rear side indicators and filling in their holes? Good luck with the work.

red27 and au-yt like this.
  16. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Photo quality in Fchat posts is very sub par. Why not email it to him?

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Original color Argento 106E1.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    This photo is not the best but it might help.

Ivan

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Looking a lot better than it did in preceding years well done!

There is another, AM120US1092 in Belgium which is at the exact same stage as yours, painted very recently. This is a US car that went from the US to Sweden then France then Portugal where it was completely taken apart and finally bought like a kit by a Belgian which is entrusting the restoration ot Mistral Classics in Belgium.

au-yt and 010 like this.
  21. fidia#99

fidia#99 Rookie

Mar 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    mike plater
    Any history on am120us1094?