2020 F1 car launches | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2020 F1 car launches

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #51 william, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020

To me, they have been ugly for many years.

Apart that it's a team PR exercise to show the "different" livery perhaps, and an occasion to introduce the sponsors, these launches are really meaningless since the cars presented may not the ones that will race.
    I can understand Renault saving itself some money by not having a launch this year.

G. Pepper and TheMayor like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But they are getting WORSE. All these little fins and cut outs everywhere. They try to hide the ugliness by painting it all black or leaving it black CF.

william likes this.
  3. Paulsan

Paulsan Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Glasgow
    Full Name:
    Paul Santi
    The sf1000 looks very similar to the 2020 red bull — at the end of 2019 iRB had the best chassis around — let’s hope Ferrari have gleaned something from it — and we keep the bhp advantage we had last year —- and Vettel stops taking himself and Leclerc out

4. PBT58

PBT58 Karting

Jul 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Peter T
    Call me old school... but this is my idea of a beautiful F1 car!

Attached Files:

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Probably only 55%-60% as long as the current cars.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The aero ruined everything.

Todays cars look covered with verrucas .... :(

ago car nut likes this.
  7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    save money? Ferrari were selling seats at the launch for £12k each! Note a money maker; at least for them as I can’t see anybody paying to see a Renault etal launch!!!!

william likes this.
  8. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    To someone a little younger... That looks like a tube with four tires. I like the current F1 cars over the high rear spoiler from a few years ago.

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The wheelbases are just idiotic. Reminds me of this, which I thought was cool as a six year old and still do today, but not as a racecar.

G. Pepper and furoni like this.
  10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yea. It is really apparent on the McLaren.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    2008 was the last year of good looking F1 cars.

They need to bring back refueling for the spectacle of it and to allow them to have smaller fuel cells to shorten that ridiculous wheelbase.

mdrums likes this.
  12. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Current F1 cars look mean and wide, I also find beauty in the petit cars from 15 years ago as well, almost all F1 cars has some aspect of beauty to me

greg328 likes this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Finlander, mdrums and greg328 like this.
  14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    stavura likes this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Looks like crap to me, they just need to put elton inside and it will smell like it too!

fil likes this.
  16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Please, someone stop this bargeboard nonsense.

DF1 and G. Pepper like this.
  17. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I think the size is part of the issue with the cars seeming rather ungainly compared to the idea of a GP car. Having built models for years, it really stands out when you put a HondaRA272 next to a Lotus 79, a Tyrrell 020, and an RB09. The new cars are huge. Still getting around to building the SF70 but it might be bigger still. I wonder how much of the regulation change that led to that situation was safety based vs aero based? It seems like the larger platform must offer some energy absorption that a more compact car would lack, and the ability to use that frame to balance aero has simply followed on and been maximized by the really smart people who design the cars. Curious to hear more about this topic if anyone has insight.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yeah and you can actually own it, get in it and drive it. Try that with anything in the last 25 years. With all the nannies and tech will they be driverless or should I say less driver in the next decade - a large scale slot car.

Have not been to a F1 race in several years, after attending Canada in many different decades and I hate to say it, but outside of wanting to see Spa or another classic European circuit It probably will be awhile before I go back if ever. It's fun to go to tht race with buddies and have fun in Montreal, but I have been less caring about the races and even the formula.

The one thing positive I can say about F1 is the coverage on TV in the US. Atleast they show some fun action back in the pack when the leaders are doing their parade laps and trying to figure out how they can change places by outsmarting their competition during required imbecilic tire changes or gaining an idiotic advantage because they allow pit stops during safey car laps.

Luck is part of racing, but dumb luck is a planned event.

greg328 likes this.
  19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    The side pod jewellery on this years cars is totally out of control.

20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Safety standards and banning of refueling play a big part in the size of the cars, but even then, they could make the cars a bit shorter than what they are now and still don't want to. Big floors and putting the wings as far as possible from the bodywork are good for aero, and most of F1 tracks are too fast to get any benefit from a short wheelbase.

21. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Yep, a longer wheel base has more stability at high speed, under braking etc

22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Hate to say this, but the Merc looks like it's already a leg up against the competition.

*brace for impending 2020 pain*