Would you buy a Cali T with 34,000 miles? | FerrariChat

Would you buy a Cali T with 34,000 miles?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by TifosiConch, Feb 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    My Cali T search continues, I snoozed and lost my first choice! Now I'm considering a 2015 being sold by a Ferrari dealer, it is properly equipped for me and attractively priced due to the miles. Carfax shows 2 owners, a clean record, and no visits to any Ferrari dealer(or ANY service visits) since new, I find this unusual as the car has an intact seven year maintenance plan until 2022. I know not all records make it into the Carfax, but this is the shortest Carfax report I have seen on a Ferrari of any stripe. The car is 1000 miles away so I can't just pop in for a look. I am concerned about lack of maintenance on any wear items like the top, turbos, etc.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  2. DonBecker

DonBecker Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Don Becker
    Have you spoken with the dealer selling the car, wouldn't they be able to more thoroughly check for service records in addition to the info you have from the Carfax?

tomc likes this.
  3. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I have a 2016 California T with 8500 miles and have done the annual service each year.
    They have found only one issue during those visits and it was fixed under warranty and I did buy the extended factory warranty for piece of mind. With 34,000 miles I would want a thorough inspection given you will be on your own from a non-warranty standpoint.

4. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Dealer has no additional records, is willing to do the annual upon sale.

5. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    34,000 miles and 5 years without a service?

Walk on and don't look back. The biggest issue for me would be the lack of oil changes. You're asking for trouble.

I would happily buy a car with 34,000 miles on it but not one which hasn't been serviced over that time and mileage interval.

tomc likes this.
  6. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    The dealer can access all Ferrari VIN's to see what service is recorded.

7. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Thank you-the packet of info from the dealer was titled Carfax, service records and photos, no service records were present. I made another phone call, service records had been omitted by a clerical error. I now have them, all services are up to date.

tomc likes this.
  8. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    It sounds like you are about to own a California T!

I have about that same mileage on my 2010 California. Sure, there are some minor issues, but with regular maintenance, the car should run A LOT farther, I think. (I hope...)

9. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Do it, I think you will Love it!

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Before you leap, I've just posted up my Cali T for sale.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/801456136/overview/

Also a thread here in the FS area. I'm well known around here and I stake my reputation on my cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

sf_hombre, Themaven, tfazio and 6 others like this.
  11. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Thanks Piper, beautiful car but I must have the 20" diamond wheels, and they are $5K plus used. My offer on the 34K mile car reflected that cost as well and was not accepted. I have found Magneride on only about 20% of Cali Ts, so I have relaxed my stance on that. The search continues....

12. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    That is a heck of an assumption. If I bought a Ferrari (and I did) I would have no intention of bringing it to the dealer unless I had no option. This does not mean that no oil changes were done.

13. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    So tell me. If the oil change is free (as it’s included in the 7 year service plan), why would you choose to spend money getting it done elsewhere?

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just off the cuff, any Cali T would still be covered by 7yrs prepaid maintenance so it costs nothing to take it to the dealer annually. If a '15 or later has been regularly serviced, it should be extremely easy to find record. Conversely, if you can't find record, might be a good indicator of potential neglect.

15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If the car is hundreds of miles away from a Ferrari dealer, I could see not doing the maintenance. However, if it's missed a (free) dealer maintenance, it may not be possible to buy the factory New Power warranty on it, I think one of the stipulations is that all services are up to date at the dealer.

I would imagine any Cali T that has the "bumpy road" button on the steering wheel -- the one with the blue rim and shock absorber icon -- then the car has Magneride. I'm surprised you're having difficulty finding cars with that option. It is a very nice option to have, especially on the T as it enables you to keep the car in Sport mode and still soften the shocks on bad roads, which you can't do on the earlier Californias -- nice to have here in New England. I wouldn't buy a car without it, but I haven't encountered one that doesn't have it, either. It may not be advertised as having Magneride, but if the button is there, I think you're good.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  16. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Now that I know what to look for, the steering wheel is the first pic I look for as I browse.

17. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If it has it great, if not don’t sweat it, the Cali T has an excellent suspension and handling either way IMHO

tfazio likes this.
  18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Truth.

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    C'mon, do a deal you guys! That's probably the second best looking Cali in the US! ;)
    Paul...To be honest, I was not a fan of the tires on my Cali when I bought the car. They've grown on me somewhat.
    More importantly, you can't see them from the driver's seat; all I see is that lovely chocolate leather, the gorgeous avorio, hear the sexy growl when accelerating.
    The rest is gravy!
    T

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I actually like the wheels on mine more than any of the others. They speak to my American Muscle heritage.

Thanks for the compliment. I don't think it gets any prettier than mine, but I'm biased. If she doesn't sell in the next couple of months there's a good chance that I may land some additional business and decide to keep her for a while.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Here's hoping your business is good. That's a gorgeous color with the ideal complementary interior...T

22. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks, man. Going to be a great 2020, but a couple of scary recompetes this year so 2021 is a bit of a wildcard. I always knee jerk and dump the toys when I sense uncertainty. Always regret it, too.

tomc likes this.
  23. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Piper, your car has the most bodacious interior I have seen- are those carbon fiber air vents? Exterior color is not critical for me as I'm going to wrap it yellow, reds or blacks would clash a bit more at the paint/wrap junctions, white or silver a little less.

24. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes, OEM carbon fiber air vents.

25. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    There is one on carguru already wrapped yellow, but its a bit questionable. That being said if you like red at all you should really take a look at Piper's car. Its a fantastic color in person.