Going to Ferrari factory, food question | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Going to Ferrari factory, food question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by italiafan, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    what do you think of La Gazella ? I thought it was good and pretty fairly priced.

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I'm sorry but I don't know that restaurant: I'm not the Michelin guide!

As said, here it's very difficult to find a bad restaurant. A good dinner or lunch in a good restaurant here is in the 30-50 euro each person. A fish good restaurant is in the 40-60 euro range.

Ciao

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Drake is the official / unofficial ristorante for the Planet Hotel. Planet doesn’t have a full service place on premise, so they refer you to Drake. (They do have a room off the lobby that serves breakfast in the morning. We ran into Brendan Hartley there last year on his way across the road for sim duty on a race weekend.)

It’s not a long distance, and it’s a nice place to sit and watch the world go by.

MalcQV likes this.
  4. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    My two cents - Retrogusto is probably our favorite restaurant when we stayed in Maranello - better than both Cavallino and Montana.

Porto Venere is definitely worth a visit, especially if you are visiting the Cinque Terra - no cruise ships dock at the CT, but there are ships docking at La Spezia and then getting schlepped to CT - good idea to check the cruise ship itineraries to make sure you avoid those days. One of the best restaurants at Porto Venere is Locanda Lorena - you have to take a small wooden power boat from Porto Venere to get there. Well worth it. Much less crowded. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's a couple more pics of Vernazza in the CT - really beautiful

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

QV308, Albert-LP and MalcQV like this.
  5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Makes you want to live there!

6. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Definitely worth a visit looking at that. We're going back to Maranello and Umbria next year. I'm going to add this,

7. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    La Gazzella is great - I can highly recommend them.

Antica Moka is my favorite place in Modena.

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Another vote for Antica Moka. Sandro and his Mum are simply the best.

Juli likes this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You know what's funny, we go to Italy once or twice every year for several weeks. We travel all over and eat at different restaurants all the time. Other than one restaurant in Assisi, we have never had a bad meal. The funny part is after that bad meal, we were back a year or two later and decided to give it a second chance ....... still bad. The thing was their restaurant had such a nice decor, vaulted brick ceiling, fireplace going, what a waste. :(

10. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    In was there in September visiting family. One of my cousins lives about 2km from the factory. My other cousins who I stayed with live about a half hour from Maranello. One day we went out for a scenic drive in the nearby mountains, and then planned to stop at a restaurant that she liked because she was craving Tigelle.
    The particular restaurant she wanted to stop at was closed so we headed back and stopped in at a restaurant in Spilamberto. We ordered some Tigelle and I had a bowl of tortellini, just like my mom used to make. Of course my cousin asked me how my food was and I said fantastic.
    I then said to her, when you go out to dinner with your friends, it's normal for people to have different tastes, preferences, or favourites. Have you ever in your entire life ever been to a restaurant where you have eaten and thought , that was terrible, I'm never eating here again?
    Or have you ever eaten at a restaurant, and had to race home to use the bathroom and poop out everything you just ate within a half hour of eating?
    She said no never.
    I said that is the difference between Italy and "America"

ago car nut and Albert-LP like this.
  11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    It's definitely amazing how a Las Vegas guy even know the Locanda Lorena restaurant at Palmaria, the biggest of the three small isles (Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto) that are aside Portovenere. Yes, Lorena is in a wonderful location (and you pay for that…) and the private wooden motorboat that carries you to the restaurant is the same model of the waterTaxi you can find at Venezia, so it adds a lot of fun and emotion, expecially at evening. There are other excellent restaurants (much less expensive than Locanda Lorena) at Le Grazie, few kms before Portovenere. But the Locanda Lorena is an experience that a tourist coming from Las Vegas (or from the other side of the world) must have once in his life.

Agree on Retrogusto, an excellent restaurant. In my opinion Montana is overvalued: good, huge amout of fascinating Schumacher Memorabilia inside, but overpriced (in my opinion) for what it offers. Excellent only for tourists, in my opinion.

ciao

Flavio_C likes this.
  12. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    Hey - I resemble that remark!

Again, not a Maranello restaurant, but one of our favorite dining experiences was at Da Gregorio near Orvieto in Umbria. We were introduced to sagrantino wine which is only made in the Montefalco region. If you like brunello and sangiovese you'll probably like this wine a lot.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I also have a great recommendation for a Spanish restaurant outside of Salzburg called Toro Toro. It's a foodie type restaurant, but not likely to have any tourists visiting it since it's off the beaten path a little.

Ok, I'll stop now as I'm getting hungry!

Nospinzone and Albert-LP like this.
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I like the look of the scenic view alone. We stay in Montecchio at a B&B http://www.ilcasaledimario.com/ilcasaledimario.aspx
    This cannot be far. We will be here next year and it'll be our fourth or fifth time.

15. belafavor

belafavor Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    belaavor
    I enjoyed retrogusto, they are also rated #1 by TripAdvisor..Also nice to be served by the owner too! Whose name.happens to be Enzo.

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Ristorante Montana overpriced?
    Absolutely not.
    You cannot be serious.

Marcel Massini

nart likes this.
  17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I hope to get back to Italy in the future and enjoy it again!