What's the best solution to my 348 seatbelt issue.. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's the best solution to my 348 seatbelt issue..

Discussion in '348/355' started by livingthedream, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The new thread needs to be a stickey

2. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    I was not told which 348's/years/VIN's are covered. It was only explained to me that if the dealer simply runs your VIN, chances are it won't show any recalls pending. But, when they specifically asked Ferrari N. America what the story was, the recall was active. So, if you're having your local dealer inquire, make sure they do a bit mroe investigating and less blowing you off. I'm still pissed at how I was treated by FoSV. Clearly they have better things to do than have me as a customer.

3. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    The thread has started....anyone with seatbelt problems with VINs not under recall post them here....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66917

4. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    is this the easiest and best way to get the lights to go out... it looks to me like it is.

I'm going to disconnect the black boxes under each seat to stop the seatbelt from moving. i would much rather have the seatbelt connector stay back at the seat and not up at the front, but i need to figure out a way to do that

i have also seen that i can disconnect the black boxes under the center console, but that seems like more work that what is mentioned above to solve my problemo.

thoughts?

5. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    disregard the last post, i found a thread that recently described this!

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Open your passenger door. Lay yourself on the floor on that side facing the center console.

You'll see two phillips screws holding one "side" panel upright. Remove those, then lift out that side panel. Now you'll be facing your two black seatbelt boxes.

Open/close doors as required to move each seatbelt mouse to your desired position, then unplug the black boxes.

Put your upright console panel back.

Done.

20 minutes. 1 tool, a phillips screwdriver.

7. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    ok, you lost me at "open your passenger door" haha. j/k.

that sounds like a pretty easy quick fix.. love it!. all i need to do is find a Ferrari compatible screwdriver that has had its major done on it lol

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    A two-inch long piece of black electrical tape should solve your seatbelt light problem. Looks stock too!

9. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    how about magic marker??, or would that look too "after market"

10. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    you were waaaayyyyyyyy off!

1. there were THREE screws, not TWO
    2. it took 5 min, not 20!
    geeeezz! lol

ahhhhh, to be free of the mouse.... pure bliss! thanks again!!!!!!

11. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Hey I like those little buggers! ~O8>

13. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    My left side 348 spyder belt gave up in 2019. I'll see if that recall is still valid. Parts are not in stock. Seat belt module appears to be next to parking brake. Car is mothballed for now.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You couldn't find a similar thread newer than 2008?

15. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    This website is the best if I could find a way to navigate easier.

16. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  17. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Hey, thanx,Steve. Bunch of threads.

18. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    There are companies that will put new belts in for you.

mine are going off next winter for new belt material; might go dark blue to match the exterior!

19. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    No, no I have a L. side motorized mouse inop. Algar Ferrari shows it's not available any more. More research to do.

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  21. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Hi Hugh. Nice Handle. Unusual full name. Yeah I found that. After 15 years its gone deleted. But I did find it from an old thread. No Ferrari garage nearby. So, I've got to take it up with Lake Forest , Chicago in the spring. I'll dig into it further myself in Spring. Car is mothballed(really) for now. What gets me , is that there is an electronic box involved. All that I see could have been done(engineered) with Limit switches and Limit relays, if you know what I mean. Throw in a cheap module made in Singapore or what have you and it's doomed. Just like a GM product.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Usually there are second hand parts for sale, but there may be a broken microswitch or something simple causing the system not to work. What year is your car?

There are two computers. Have you tried swapping them over?

23. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Hi Ian, Yeah thats next. I was researching before I got back to the car in a couple months. If I had a wiring diagram for 94-95 348 spider I could probably tell what the big picture is. It's only spider and SS near as I can tell. Seat belt wiring diagram would go a long way I think. I fix cars for a living.

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I have been working on a wiring diagram, but needed a few more details of the plugs and the internal microswitches (I don't have a 348). Anyway, here's my latest theoretical diagram for the GTB/GTS based on some feedback from owners:

F348GTB&GTS_Passive_Type_Seat_Belt_Wiring_Diagram

If you're willing to do some wiring checks for me, we may be able to get a complete diagram.

The system is quite complex and probably does need a computer to handle everything (including a vehicle speed input).

Common faults: Depending on the symptoms, I would check door microswitch (lower one), microswitches at the end of the tracks, motor operation (using direct 12volts), etc. At At least with one good system, you can compare the two sides.

john a barnes likes this.
  25. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Hey Ian, good stuff. Where the hell did you come up with that? I see the magic boxes are made by Autoliv.. They are the makers of the best Airbags for years. Anyway, I see that motor is powered by that. Probably controlled by a reversing DC H-gate or such. That is really what I was curious about. Now I've got the big picture. I see you found a different part#. That's news to me also. I don't see what purpose VSS input would serve. That was a '90's thing for SCV at first. These didn't even come with radios. Right now it's 15 degrees outside and you probably have 85. I've got a heated shop but the car is packaged up off premises right now. It's gonna be a few months until winter is over. Oh well. The downside to analog cars is every thing has to be tested without chasing my tail. Can-Bus with a scanner made this type of stuff a lot easier as the years went on. Operation in real time. Bi-directional stuff etc. Thanks much and have fun.

Qavion likes this.