Pininfarina presentation of 308 GTB, Paris 1975 | FerrariChat

Pininfarina presentation of 308 GTB, Paris 1975

Discussion in '308/328' started by Pero, Jan 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Found this information from the Paris Motor Show 1975. It is the Pininfarina presentation of the 308 GTB together with three Pictures. My guess is that it has been Pininfarinas hand-out at the show. I wasn´t sure if it was original but when looking at the backside of the photos they are all stamped Carosseria Pininfarina Torino, fotografia n. 968, Ferrari 308 GTB, coupe´ 2 posti and 1975.
    Thought it was cool!
    /Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
  3. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    These are awesome!!

Do you know the chasis number of the car by chance?

Also, that antenna on the roof, firts time I see a unit with it. Nice! Anyone can provide more info?

Albert-LP likes this.
  4. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    No info on the chassis number. Didn't see the antenna! Actually it looks like the one I have on my GT4 from 1975.
    /Peter

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you for sharing those very important pictures and documents! The antenna on the roof was very common at that age here in Italy for cheap cars. Then it was replaced by a much more expensive telescopic electric antenna (much more suited for a Ferrari)

ciao

of2worlds and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  6. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Thank you Albert! That explains the antenna. I have one on my GT4, but since it is a 208, the cheapest Ferrari, it kind of make sense.
    /Peter

7. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #7 hyenahf, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    those antennas were wicket cool... i wouldnt necessarily say cheap. same antenna as on the urraco,jarama, espada, miiura, mangusta , pantera and a bunch of others etc... i reckon some were dealer installed since there were a merit of audio variations. these raked back pivoting antennas are adjustable in angle and removable for car covers etc. they were much more common on the euro spec vehicles than the usa market cars.

Pero and of2worlds like this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Albert-LP, hyenahf and Pero like this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I had one on my 1980 Citroen LNA and my parents had another on their Fiat Ritmo 65 from 1979. They were the standard solution here in Europe to have an antenna on the car at the age. There already were telescopic electrical antennas but they were much more expensive and complex so the roof antennas lasted long also on the sport cars. It's not a matter of car tag price as BB512i in 1981 still had a roof antenna like this 308 GTB fiberglass. Electric antennas usually were only on Mercedes and BMW sedan cars and similar cars. Then Porsche started offering as standard the electric antenna in the front right fender (911 turbo, from 1974-75, I think) and Lamborghini went with windshield concealed antenna in the Countach. So Ferrari went for an electric antenna on the 308 GTB and GTS.

Ciao

11. robbie308

robbie308 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Robert Retzlaff
    Not 100% sure. But IF the car on the black and white press photos is identical with the azzurro metallizzato car, which was presented at the Paris show in 1975 on the Pininfarina stand, it is believed to be s/n 18679.

Robert
    www.308gtb.de

Attached Files:

JuLiTrO, of2worlds and Pero like this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Pero and of2worlds like this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  14. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Peter thank you for posting that Pininfarina press information. Two observations:

1. Any radio heads able to identify the radio in the dash in the first image?
    2. This is the first time I've been able to read anything official with regards to the use of the GRP body, and I quote; "in striving for maximum car lightness..................chassis in tubular steel structures.....and resin body...."

In the last image, I wonder if Niki and Clay were comparing notes on girlfriends?

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Thank you.

I am going to have Walgreens print this one out in a regular photo size then take a super high resolution pic of that and see how big I can go with it.

of2worlds and Pero like this.
  16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Despite what the advertising guys said in the press release I remember hearing that it was not felt the car would be popular enough to invest in very expensive dies to make the steel body so fiberglass was chosen. It was only after its popularity was proven that the decision was made to make that investment so the more quickly and less expensive steel body could be produced.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Didn't know that. Thank you for sharing this.

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Our LM002 has an antenna like that.