Vinyl roof wrap for Portofino | FerrariChat

Vinyl roof wrap for Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by carthusiast, Feb 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Hello, my Portofino is finally here! Hope to have delivery by end of the month (getting cleared at the port).

My question is this. I ordered the Portofino without the gloss black roof but the gloss black seems to have grown on me. Was thinking about vinyl wrapping the roof and getting the whole body wrapped with PPF to help it last longer. Anyone done that? I live in Arizona (exceptionally hot in the summer) but the car will be parked indoors except for daily drive things when going to a store etc. concerned about how long this wrap would last and more importantly if the underlying pain could get damaged and not being able to be removed safely after sometime.

Suggestions and comments appreciated in whether to do it, is the gloss black look worth it?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Hi

I don’t have the vinyl but do have my entire California T wrapped it PPF.

If you like it go for it! Make sure you get a good vinyl that won’t hurt the car when it’s removed.

The first owner of my California T (I’m the second) also had it wrapped but I removed it as it had done its job and had rash damage and the self healing was gone. Under the film the paint was perfect not a chip.

I live in SA with hot summers and mild winters never had a problem with PPF and heat.

I put on new PPF as well as had the car detailed before and all the orange peal and fine scratches removed. Here is a pic what what she looks like. The film really protects her.

I’m very happy but then again I’m a firm believer in PPF. Find the right installer that’s the most important. Never let them take a blade to the car and use quality film. PremiumShield, Xpel etc

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nicolas21 likes this.
  3. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    She looks amazing! Thanks.

4. Yassir Al-Arabi

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Yassir Al-Arabi
  5. Yassir Al-Arabi

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Yassir Al-Arabi
    Forgot to say, I also live in an exceptionally hot location with high humidity in the summer.

6. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    She’s amazing. I was also told that if you remove the vinyl after a few years that the pain fade shows under the wrap. This was from the installer. Not sure you knew that. I’m kinda torn. My plan was vinyl with ppf on top as well to help it last longer

7. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018

Need to pull the trigger on the roof wrap. Do you have a min to respond today? Thanks

8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Paint will fade, somewhat, if it's left in the sun a lot ... however, it's much worse with non-clear coat finishes, red in particular. If you're wrapping the rest of the car, the PPF typically offers some UV protection to the rest of the paint anyway. On the Portofino, it's a fairly small area where it will be red on red -- there's either glass or a black strip interrupting it, so I wouldn't be all that worried about it. I doubt the car is going to be baking in the sun every day anyway.

9. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Thank you. I am leaning towards the roof wrap with ppf on top of that as well with whole car.

10. Yassir Al-Arabi

Jun 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Yassir Al-Arabi
    Having seen cars that were wrapped in vinyl with PPF on top before (Porsche) after removal of the wrap/PPF, I can tell you that the paint is exceptionally well preserved under the vinyl. Looked as good as new. If this is your only concern, I would go for it.

carthusiast likes this.
  11. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Thanks

12. Ira messing

Ira messing Rookie

May 4, 2019
    San Diego / Cincinnati Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ira messing
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I also had the complete clear wrap installed on my Portofino. Consider also having the car quartz polished from a quality independent as soon as you can after you take delivery. The wrap and quartz should cost $6000 - $7500 which while, expensive is a small price to pay to protect a $295,000 +/- investment. I've been told the black vinyl roof wrap will not produce the sheen the factory paint will, but the $1250 cost to wrap the roof is substantially less than the $8500 the factory charged me for the factory back paint. BTW, the car truly looks better with the Black roof, especially if you purchased the black interior

13. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Thanks for the reply and your experience. Thanks also for the tips. The car was detailed by the dealership. Without the quarts which I didn’t even know existed the wrap alone cost me $7500. It’s actually more with this particular installer but he gave me a bit of a discount. I went with the classic cuoio interior. Hope it looks with the black top, satin black wheels. Cant wait to see her (hopefully next week)

14. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Your looks gorgeous! Enjoy