458 and 488 price parity... | Page 9 | FerrariChat

458 and 488 price parity...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dann0, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    #201 pninja005, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Well testdrove 458 today and while I loved it have to say it felt a bit dated getting back n my 2019 911 afterwards.. hmmm..

Testing F8 soon.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    While I'm definitely not in the 458 marching band, that's an interesting one. You prefer a 2019 911 to a 458? I sincerely hope you then also felt that while he 911 was more modern, it also lacked any and all sense of occasion and uniqueness. The 991.2 is a very well built and comfortable generic GT sports car, but it's also incredibly boring and uneventful to drive compared to any of the 8 series Ferraris.

VAF84, SPOM13, PhilNotHill and 4 others like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well currently the 458 is still on the decline in terms of price. Doubtful that the 488 would ever go low enough to dip below. You really think in the US, that a 488 would get into the 100-110 range and the 458 would then stay above that? Not happening. What will happen I think, is that some examples of both models with basic and "generic" specs, as well as many miles etc. will go low, but that's the case for both the 458 and 488, and later on the F8. I'm still waiting to see two cars of similar spec and vintage where the 458 is selling at a higher price. A 2015 458 with 15k miles and a 2017 488 with 15k miles. Same colour and same spec. I'm quite sure the 488 will sell for the most. If I'm wrong, please show me. Not by what the cars are listed for, but what they have sold for. Like I have said before, it looks to me like quite a few 458's are listed high but don't move until they get significantly lowered in price.

4. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Totally agree with this 911s have no soul left what so ever
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

x z8 likes this.
  5. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I mostly agree with this but, if you take low mileage under 5k mile examples of each I can see the 458 trading for more then the 488, I'm willing to wager this will happen in the next 3 years

dustman and x z8 like this.
  6. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have see right spec 458 spider go for £170k in the UK but only Rosso, low millage and good spec

7. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    #207 Graz, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Well said Pete. I’m on my second 458 Italia for the reasons you sighted. The other cars may come and go but the 458 will stay with me and always be at the top of my car food chain :)

PTG1 likes this.
  8. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Well don't get me wrong, I loved the 458 and will actually buy one next week but 991.2 has something special to it too. 458 interior felt dated. I will also use the 458 as DD 6 months a year; I buy cars to enjoy them as much as possible; otherwise why even bother.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    My guess is that it will happen, but as a transient situation - when the 458 will begin to be considered as collectible while the 488 will still be perceived as a used car.
    On the very long term it depends on how people will consider it is important to religiously hate turbochargers.
    An interesting example is the Maranello situation - the 550 now tends to be (but only slightly) more valued than the 575, just because in most cases the 575 has a robotised F1 gearbox and people now prefer a pure manual gearbox (for an old car).
    On another side, the Pista is now valued a lot more than a Speciale in spite of the fact that there should be a clear parallel between the regular and special versions (the differences between Speciale and Pista are of the same orders than those between 458 Italia and 488 GTB, so there is not much logic to have the 488 GTB currently at a marginally higher price than the Italia, and the Pista 100K more than the Speciale).

10. mustangtornado

Dec 19, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jay
    my immediate thought after 10 seconds of driving the 458...this gearbox is garbage compared to the 488 at low speed. things like that are going to hurt the 458 in the long run. like he said interior felt dated...I felt the same.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Garbage? Wanna share your baseline of comparisons? Not offended at all, but I am indeed interested to hear where you are coming from so that I can appropriately judge the validity of your statement.

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I feel like they are making a little bit of a turn around. I recently drove the new 2020 Carrera S on the track, as well as aggressively on the street, and I hate to admit this, but the thing felt pretty amazing! I felt so connected to that car, I enjoyed it much better than any other Porsche I've owned. Not only was it perfectly balanced, but the darn thing was probably a little quicker than (or about the same) my 458 too! The chassis was solid, as was everything else. It definitely didn't have the soul of the Ferrari, but it was definitely way more fun than I had anticipated. Porsche makes a great tool, but lacks a little bit on passion. However, the new one REALLY closes that gap compared to the older cars. Plus it's great quality as a bonus. I honestly can't say a single bad thing about that car. All that said, I would still take my 458 as a toy, but that as a daily driver.

Ash Patel likes this.
  13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    488 definitely feels more refined, but I don't know if I would call the 458 garbage. But then again, I'm probably the only moron that actually enjoyed the mechanical feel of the F1 in my 360. I also preferred it over the manual any day (flame suit on), and the funny part was that I was a hard core manual guy for more than 30 years at the point I bought it.

VAF84 likes this.
  14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Did you like the new C2S more than then 991 GT3?

15. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My thoughts are it's not bad enough to hurt it, yes it's not as smooth as 488 or others but no where near as bad as gearboxes that do put people off buying certain models

16. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    Hurt it. Smooth is not something I look for in a sports car. While I don’t want it to be rough but too smooth is boring. A nice little thud when changing gears reminds you that you are driving the car. Make it too smooth and you might fall asleep while driving the car.

plastique999, VAF84 and PTG1 like this.
  17. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    I had the same feeling when I drove it the first time. There's a long thread where I got attacked for saying that. But later bought one anyways. Here's the thing, it is jerky the first minutes when driving it in automatic mode but once it gets "warm" and knows your driving style, it gets really smooth.

Go manual and becomes magic!!

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

18. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I am reading this thread while waiting on my 812. Having owned for years and 3000 miles both the 458 and 488 here are my thoughts. When I sold my 458, I missed it. While I wait having traded in the 488, I miss it already. Both cars had the vacuum lines plugged and experienced full sound. Yes the 458 sound was better but the 488 sound was very acceptable. I did not track either but during the ownership of both, I could not wait for that next drive. My advise is to drive both and decide and you will for sure have great drives ahead.

VAF84 and SPOM13 like this.
  19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Probably not, but I never drove the 991 GT3. I'm pretty sure I would put the GT3 at, or very close to Ferrari excitement.

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Hello?? Still can't wait for your further elaboration of how garbage 458 was after your 10 seconds of driving and relevation.

gstudent likes this.
  21. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    You really think someone with Mustang in his username has anything intelligent to say?

PTG1, PhilNotHill, tekaefixe and 2 others like this.
  22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Hey you never know. He may have a Huayra

PhilNotHill likes this.
  23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Daily drove a guards red GT3 for 2 years. Masochistic endeavor. With the Sport Cup 2 tires, I could feel every imperfection in the road. Hitting a pot hole was a teeth jarring affair. Scraped the front lip all the time despite using the FAL. Wind up the RPMs to a level that feels exciting and one is breaking the law. The wing also obstructs rear view.

That being said the GT3 was an exciting drive and had lots of interesting mechanical sounds along with a howling exhaust. Of all the 911 variants Ive owned/driven the GT 911s offers the closest excitement to exotics but I still prefer a horse or bull in the garage.

up4speed likes this.
  24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So according to what you said, I guess the new Carrera S is definitely a better daily driver. And the GT3 is more of a Ferrari competitor for a toy for those who prefer to own a Porsche

Surfah likes this.
  25. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I have 992 on order for my wife. IMO no soul. I also have a 991.2 GT3- manual T. Insanely love it.

up4speed likes this.