Engine mount replacement issue - right side - 456M GTA | FerrariChat

Engine mount replacement issue - right side - 456M GTA

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by jcbam, Feb 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    I have trouble jacking the engine high enough to get clearance removing the old engine mount or putting the new mount in on the right side (LHD passenger side). I have no problem on the driver side mount.

I tried jacking up from the oil pan, plus using a 2x4 straight up at the exhaust flange of the right cylinder head (pushing up from the right). Every time I jacked up to the point when the entire car started moving up. At that point, I could get the driver side mount easily but the passenger side mount still needed about 1-2cm more to clear.

I also tried removing the engine mount bracket connecting to the block (4 nuts on studs). With the bracket off I could get the old mount out. But after putting the new mount back in I couldn't get enough clearance to put the bracket back.

I don't know what stopped the engine to go up just a bit more. At least I can see at the firewall I still have little room to go up higher. I stop because the entire car was jacking up. What could be in the way stopping it to go up more?

See pics. I am changing out the old style mount to the new style.

I am totally running out of idea. Can anyone help?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Don't lift the entire motor. Lift the right side.

jcbam and Qavion like this.
  3. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    Hi @Rifledriver, can you shed more light? I used a piece of 2x4 wood pushing the engine up using a floor jack at the right cylinder head where the exhaust flange is, as seen in one of my pics. This is the rightmost spot I can push up. I also tried to bolt down the left side hoping the engine can rotate a bit to gain more clearance on the right side. But the engine didn't seem to want to rotate.

At this point, I think something is in its way stopping the engine to go up. But I have no idea what it is. Or what can be loosen up to gain just a bit more clearance.

Again, when I was lowering the floor jack, I saw the entire car was dropping, meaning that I had jacked up to the max point and the engine didn't want to go up more.

Any clue?

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I jack up the engine with a wooden block (2x4) on the oil pan and do both mounts at the same time. I always remove the bracket from the top of the mounts to the studs on the engine block. Sometimes it is a little tricky getting them out/back in, but with a little twisting around (of the mounts and brackets) I have always been able to replace the mounts without having to resort to using a large amount of force. It is sometimes like a puzzle, but once you have the right movement of the pieces they will come out and go back together.

Brian Crall's idea of doing one side at a time will probably get you a little more room to get the other side out.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    None. Never experienced that.

6. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    Thanks @Rifledriver. Special thanks to @Motob as "It is sometimes like a puzzle" helped me. I got the new mount in jacking from the right head flange. The clearance was still very tight. But I managed to use a pry bar to push the new mount in at an angle as the new mount compressed just a bit to clear it. Problem solved.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso and Qavion like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hard to understand. I have never had one fight me.

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I remember having a hard time with that, I had a hoist and transmission jack and it was still difficult.

9. TimS

TimS Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tim Shearman
    Hi, I’m thinking I ought to replace these mounts on the 456M that I’ve recently added to the fleet. So that I have some idea how long to allow to get the job done, can I ask what other components you have to remove to access the mounts?

10. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    I removed the air boxes and heat shields for ignition coils and A/C compressor. The space is very tight. You have to be patient.

I ended up needed to pry the new mount in by compressing the rubber a bit since I couldn’t make the engine go any higher.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    I also played with the passenger side engine bracket, loosen the 4 nuts to gain little clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app