458 and 488 price parity... | Page 10 | FerrariChat

458 and 488 price parity...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dann0, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #226 Shadowfax, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Definitely has a rev limiter. I bounced off it on a couple of times mainly because the sound of the engine inside doesn’t increase enough in volume or is angry or climactic in a way to where you just know without looking at the tach that its outa revs and its time to shift up. Some turbo engines do it better to where you know when its close to shifting and the window of aural pleasure feels longer. I find the gt2rs does very well in this area as the engine gets louder and feels angrier on its way to the redline so much so i find myself shifting before the red rather than on it all the time. Its like a crescendo. With the 488 there is no real crescendo and F8 is much the same.

up4speed and MANDALAY like this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    So if the F8 or the Pista don't have the rev limiter technically speaking you could miss red line and over rev

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #228 Shadowfax, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    If you’re pushing it and feeling the need to stretch that sound out (as you do) then yes for sure you need to watch the tach closely. Pista isnt as bad as it sounds angrier and with more of a rise in volume so, has more of a crescendo which is good but not perfect as it still sounds like it could do with a few more rpms to wring out when you are at the red. That said, as is the case with F8 and 488 there is so much torque, you can drive into sharp corners (better) leaving it in 3rd rather than have the engine teetering toward the redline in second (just to hear the noise) as it revs out so fast. It’s crazy fast punching out mid corner to then shift into 4th from 3rd. Sometimes being in second is pointless as you’re already near the red approaching mid corner. It’s a very fast moving experience shifting so quickly to meet and avoid hitting the rev limiter unless you just drive it off the torque mid revs and apply a faster gear change again to keep it 500 or 1000 off the limiter so when there is enough straight road you have at least some revs left to wind out in the next nanosecond.

MANDALAY likes this.
  4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Exactly!

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My reco for 488 lovers is to just get a Nissan GT-R and save a bundle of cash, invest in munis.

6. mustangtornado

Dec 19, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jay
    It doesn’t take long to identify a transmission that struggles with parking lot speeds. Not a knock on any other part of the car, just an immediate observation.

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My reco for loud NA car lovers is to get the Maserati Gran Turismo instead of the 458. It's slow but it looks and sounds great, it's also a lot cheaper than the 458 and it ticks the same boxes, great sound and classic Pininfarina styling.

PA Wolfpacker and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

I am wasting time here like someone suggested Ibased on your username already. I honestly thought you were talking about how "slow" the downshifting was while exiting the freeway, or how the car keeps "punching" forward when driving high speeds and shift upwards.

Parking lot speeds? I surmise that you don't have much experiences with high end sports car. I think you will be much happier with Toyota Camry. It's transmission is great, particularly with parking lot speed. I really just sat in one recently, thoroughly impressed by how composed the car was at 5 mph.

up4speed and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Wrong category of car, unfortunately, so not comparable.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Then the same goes for the GTR. One snark deserves another and you never quit snarking on the 488.

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    How about my comments of Toyota Camry transmission in comparison to the "garbage" comment of 458 transmission?

The Nissan gtr to 488 comment is way more valid and substantiated than the 458 transmission being garbage at parking lot speed comment, which is one of the most asinine things I have read on Fchat thus far.

up4speed, Graz and PTG1 like this.
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Not following you...GTR is a true sports car. Perhaps more 911-ish. But the Maser? Seriously in need of some guidance.
    I offer my owner opinion on the cars. Your POV may differ but any attacks are uncalled for here. Over in Rossa Subscribed we can bang away, LOL

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am only referring to dustman. He never misses an opportunity to belittle the 488. I'm moving on the the 812 so I will soon have no dog in this fight but I have very much enjoyed the 488 Spider and consider it vastly superior to both my 991tts and my Cali T HS. It checks all the boxes that those two separately managed to check.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Who is attacking anyone? I just pointed out your predilection for snark against the 488, do you deny it? Then if the GT-R is a sports car, why does it have GT in it's name and how can it compare to the 488 at 3900 lbs vs 3400 lbs? Then one has to add that the GT-R is a horrible looking car but the 488 is a beautiful car. In that way the GranTurismo is a better comparison to the 458 because it's got great Pininfarina styling of the 458. Of course the other similarity is that it's dated and underpowered but it looks and sounds great just like the 458.

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Let's continue to detail from the original thread. Screw it. I am bored.

Aesthetics of Nissan Skyline GTR is actually very culturally based in Japanese. In all fairness, Japanese cultures nowadays heavily involve giant robots comics and comics/manga.

At the headquarter of Nissan in Japan, there is a Gundam standing next to the GTR.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-11-27/nissan-gt-r's-redesign-inspired-by-gundam

So to Japanese, the design of GTR is actually cultural and appealing to them. Beauty is in the name of beholders.

tekaefixe and wrs like this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My reco for the 458 lover is to just get a GT3 and save a bundle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

wrs likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Like I have said before, I'm not in the 458 cult and know the 458 is far from perfect, but problems at parking lots? WTF? Who told you that nonsense? I find your experience very hard to believe.

IloveGT likes this.
  18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Aha, that's a fair comeback but GT3 scream at 9k does not match the 458 scream at any speed when the valve is open. I had over 10k miles in the .1 GT3.

19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Tell me about it. He should just drive a new Camry. They look racy enough with red interior.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    At some point all those turbos will be out of warranty and need servicing. I like to work on my own car yet messing with rusty exhaust bolts is off my list. Sooner or later the music stops on those units and all the plumbing and parts become a hole in someone's ownership wallet. A 458 as a used car much simpler besides sounding much better.

up4speed and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's exactly the thing. Yes, the 458 nor the 488 DCT is perfect. I think anyone with PDK experience knows how good a DCT style trans can be. The slow downshits, and other quirks, not to mention the overly jerky shifts in race to make the driver think it's a race car. That we as drivers can debate, because that's relevant. But being bad in parking lots? Ffs, even compared to the DSG in an Audi S5, it really works well in such situations. Aside from a slev of other things which makes it possible to daily a 458, its transmission manners in a parking lot or in a bumper-to-bumper crawl, is what makes it work as well as it does.

Here's how I see this coming about. Three to five guys who likes cars sit at a table. One needs to be the interesting one, and since he saw a 458, (which was probably a 430) parked on the street as he walked by, he now knows more than most about this car. Now this guy might not be a Ferrari enthusiast, so he prefers to make up some random story about the car pulling away and it being terrible at it. So now the gang has agreed thst they all know first hand that the 458 transmission is garbage.
    I may be wrong, but I choose to believe many such beliefs come about in a similar fashion.

But while we are on the subject of garbage transmissions. Mustang GT500 with the Tremec 6 speed. What an utter pile that is. Even Tremec admits that setup is really bad. Funny a guy with Mustang in his screen name would start a debate about the Getrag DCT being bad in parking lots. Hope the irony is not lost on you Mr. Mustang.

AlfistaPortoghese and IloveGT like this.
  22. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Really? Not being sarcastic but you might take a 458 out of a parking lot to get the real feel of the car. Here’s a video from a professional reviewer that might provide some insight on the car and what it is capable of:

IloveGT likes this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    To be honest I do not think the turbochargers are more problematic than the DCT or all the electronics (E-DIFF and all the wizardry) that have been introduced on recent cars (turbochargers largely predates all these things).
    Considering the 458 as a mechanical piece of engineering seems delusional to me.
    A really simpler car needs to have a true manual gearbox, carburettors and even no electronic ignition - for that one has to look more in the past.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    That's a good one. I thought my Toyota Camry comment was good enough. Take the car out of the parking lot! Lol. That's good. That's good.

25. mustangtornado

Dec 19, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The whole point of the parking lot example was it was the immediate and noticeable difference driving both back to back. Never owned a mustang, never wanted to. The transmission has been upgraded, props to Ferrari on that.