The Purosangue Thread | Page 36 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Mario, today I got an update on Purosangue. You are close to reality as the Purosangue is a higher-up Lusso-type of car. Ferrari does not want to have another SUV and differentiate themselves from those common in that section. It looks like no new orders for a Lusso will be accepted anymore as they want to free capacity for other models (foremost the Roma). When the Lusso will be 'off' the market by 2022, and the Purosangue coming instead, price point will be as high as the Lusso (or a bit above), thus becoming one of the most expensive in that category. They then clearly must not be looking at producing larger numbers as that would be difficult to turn into facts. So it will remain more exclusive is my expectation.

uhn2000 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Great information William, thank you. Ferrari has classified the Purosangue as being an FUV and if they happen to come up with something that looks like an SUV they'll certainly will be loosing the originality goal and will be making the same as everyone else. The Lusso is already an extraordinary AWD car that only needs to be transformed into an FUV. If a modest amateur like me without any car design education is able to transform a Lusso into the funny FUV below, just imagine what Ferrari designers will be capable of doing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

WilliamB, Caeruleus11 and uhn2000 like this.
  3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am on my 4th Lusso now (1V8 and 3V12s).. anyhow I also have a Urus in the stable and today I drove them literally back to back today. I would say that there is definitely room for improvement on both platforms and I have done a quick comparison by category between the 2 cars.. both very well optioned (loaded). I will humbly try and compare them below:

Engine Response- Tough but Lusso 12 and 8 edge (Urus is super but its not a Ferrari engine)
    Transmission - Lussos (the Urus slushbox is good on the way up but its not DCT)
    Power - Tie (both faster then you will ever need)
    Exhaust - Lussos (Urus good but they pipe in sound through the speakers, not the best but I like the crackles pops)
    Interior - Tie both nice but Lambo has some cool touches
    Access - Urus is easier to get in an out of especially rear cabin
    Handling - Tie, only because what the Urus does is incredible for its size (but Lusso is more sports car handling)
    MMI Technology - Urus by miles, I love the Audi tech it just all works flawlessly
    Driver/Car Information - Urus, lots of screens and info in the Urus (some of it good hp/tq/vectoring some of it useless)
    Comfort - Urus (heated wheel), seats are slightly more comfortable and I like the seating position
    Cool Factor - Both get lots of looks but I think the Urus is a cooler car right now
    Value For Money - Tough to answer but I really think that the Urus is good value for what it is
    Winter Conditions - Urus wins in the snow/winter - its heavier and feels more planted
    City Driving - Urus and V8 Lusso happier in City
    Big Roads - Nothing comes close to the V12 Lusso (engine and gearbox dominates everything)
    Excitement Factor - V12Lusso, V8Lusso, then Urus (its cool just not exciting)

I think Ferrari trying not to build a direct SUV competitor is smart and from what I am reading above looks like they are onto something. Happy to post pics if anyone wants or if you have more questions please ask away :)

WilliamB and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Joe thank you for these great comparisons based on your practical knowledge of the different cars. From what I read in one of your posts you had more than one Lusso and also an Urus therefore what would you select from each one of them and also add on top in order to build your ideal FUV ?

WilliamB, Caeruleus11 and uhn2000 like this.
  5. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Can I just ask why you’d buy four Lusso?

6. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is a very interesting and longish story .. maybe for another time its Valentines and I gotta meet the wife for dinner. Ciao bellas!

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    One category you should add:
    Potholes. I know this sounds like a joke, but I am serious. When you have one of these vehicles to use daily, how it handles our increasingly potholed roads is an important factor. I love the Lusso, but its weak point is how easily damaged the front wheels and tires are by potholes.

WilliamB likes this.
  8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    KenU likes this.
  10. Alib

Alib Rookie

Jun 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Uhn2000, Great comparison between the Lusso and the Urus. I think the one thing I would add is where one is in ones life. Please bear with me as Im not trying to be philosophical but a bit practical. People like SUVS for practical reasons but so for there has been no SUV that doesn't feel SUVish ie. you can only push it so far before they show there weight, limits of suspension etc. For me I was looking for the right balance of sportiness, luxury and comfort. I love the Lusso and almost bought one. Frankly Im not a "Lambo guy". But the flaw with the Lusso is it is quite low and I find that the ingress/egress is not much different than other Ferrari GT cars (especially getting into the back). The Lusso's drive is truly sublime, the V12 should be in the Smithsonian. However, I couldn't get over the practicality issue of the Lusso. Then I drove the Urus...The Urus hits all 3 of my requirements (right balance of sportiness, luxury and comfort) to my satisfaction and then some. Ingress/Egress is fantastic, being higher up makes it so easy to get in and out (especially if you have back problems)...excellent visibility when driving for what the Urus is, being able to use the vehicle in all conditions, parking in spots where a 2 door (with big doors) you would never even consider parking, bringing others with you and having some cargo capacity. Then...when Im in the mood, I put the Urus in Sport or Corsa and it turns into a sports hatchback. I have owned several Ferrari's, Bentley and other SUV's...the Urus blends (as close to perfect as Ive experienced) the best aspects of a luxury, comfortable SUV/hatchback with a true sportscar. Is it a Ferrari 488 or F8Tributo? No, but is it something that feels unbelievably sporty and drivable everyday, everywhere and yet access some of the greatness of a 488, F8 or Lusso...yes...all while being comfortable. I took delivery of the Urus just before Christmas and have driven it in snowstorms, icey conditions and it has been incredible. I have put over 2500kms on it and everytime I drive it it feels special. The sound, the quality of the interior, the technology and interface, the suspension, the cornering ability...amazing. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE PUROSANGUE. My bet is Ferrari does indeed find a way to take this segment of the auto industry to a whole new level. Im IN!!

PS somebody asked about potholes. I have the 22 inch diamond black Nath rims. My city is full of potholes. I haven't had any issues as the air suspension seems to compensate for the harsh potholes. However, it is a concern and I try to be vigilant about it.

MDEL likes this.
  11. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    All good points @Alib my business partner and I were arguing the merits of whether the Lusso12 and URUS are redundant cars (he has a lusso12 as well). Anyhow today, sunny nice day (family day weekend) I had a bit of driving to do and I had some decisions because I had the kids with me. I took the kids in both cars and my boys were asked to decide which one they liked more. They both kept saying to me, daddy the Ferrari sounds awesome and we love how slides and turns. For pure driving emotion/pleasure the Lusso12 wins without question and I presume they will never make another car like it again. The Urus is great but I had a CayenneTurbo ('16) for 4.5 years and I do appreciate the Urus capabilities and package - amazing especially with what they have done to a Cayenne/Q8/VW basic platform. Then in the afternoon I was just doing some errands, quick in and out, city quick runs here and there ... the Urus was better for that. However there is still so much work that can still be done to the driving tranny and engine.. with slushbox auto just takes away of what it could really have been. Why can the Panamera and Macan have a PDK and the URUS a slushbox auto? And why must they artificially pump in sound via speakers in the sporty modes.. again none of the Porsche products do that from what I recall. Anyhow all weird things to complain about but its all worth noting because I am sure Ferrari reads this forum and if you haven't already seen I am big fan of their product and want the Purosange to be a success.

Lastly I am doing the wife test (letting her take the Urus instead of her G63) and then let me know what she prefers etc. Anyhow all good fun and very happy to be driving both. Attached are some dirty pictures for anyone interested :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WilliamB and MDEL like this.
  12. Alib

Alib Rookie

Jun 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Allen
    uhn2000, Awesome pictures, awesome collection. Good points on all fronts. Hopefully Ferrari is listening. The Urus has set a new benchmark and I can't wait for the Purosangue to set an even higher benchmark. I think the Lusso and Urus (while there is definitely some overlap) are actually different in enough ways to justify owning both. Congratulations to you for owning two of the most amazing vehicles out there!!

uhn2000 likes this.
  13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I agree with you, great pictures the ones posted by unh2000. Ferrari has already said publicly that they found for the Purosangue a concept and a package which is on one side a real SUV and will convince SUV customers to buy it, but on the other side there’s a huge differentiation of concept to existing SUVs. This Purosangue FUV which can only be the mixing of an SUV with something else, will certainly has the Urus as a benchmark. Because Ferrari prestige could be somehow at stake in the case the Purosangue won't be a success in terms of design, innovation and performance, I believe they will be presenting a car that is far superior to anything that is now produced by the competition.

WilliamB and uhn2000 like this.
  14. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  15. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I have a Lusso V12 and will keep it, ordered an Aston DBX to replace the Range Rover. DBX looks great, I’ve seen it in person and it has received great road tests.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

WilliamB and MDEL like this.
  16. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nice Neil, saw one tonight and the spec was black on black (very underwhelming) but I am sure with the right touches it will be killer. Can't wait to get your feeback.. yes my Lusso is keeper material.

MDEL likes this.
  17. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I did what would be Grigio Silverstone with Couio Toscana In Ferrari colors on the DBX, same as my Lusso. Looked great on the configuration.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  19. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    I'll keep my F12 Neil and initially wanted to go for the DBX (as my daily drive) too but put things on hold as I prefer to make a choice after I had a test drive. I've seen it too and it ticked 95% of the boxes for me but driving it might give me another feedback. For me too expensive to gamble :) Maybe I take an interim car as I am very curious about how the Purosangue is going to look like. Although I expect there will be a considerable difference in pricing between the two.

MDEL likes this.
  20. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    All reviews are pointing to the DBX being more sports car then even the Urus/RSQ8/CayenneT. After a few more KMs in the Urus again my biggest qualm is the fake sound (through speakers) and the transmission in manual mode (its just not responsive enough). @WilliamB one thing is the DBX is cheaper then the URUS starting but who knows how it stacks up price wise after all the options are there. Yes I would expect the Purosangue to be the priciest option and again very curious about what they do with it. I will say that after DDing Ferraris for the last year+ its just so nice to have intuitive technology in a car, the Audi/Lambo tech is so helpful on a regular commute (looking forward to Roma tech).

MDEL likes this.
  21. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Allow me to disagree Joe, I still believe the Urus is the more sporty one in comparison with the DBX but the DBX has more to offer. Even the off-road capabilities (for whomever wants to do that) are remarkable. And as for pricing, yes options will cost you but I found the standard DBX pretty complete (f.e. the glass roof is standard). And as for technology, that is of Mercedes, not last in line with developments like this. Also pure sound and not fabricated but I haven't driven it yet, so can't comment on that. So you gather that the DBX is my favorite and it is up to Ferrari to proof me wrong. The expected price gap will make it very difficult for me to go for just that bit more (again expected) for such a difference. We will see!

uhn2000 likes this.
  22. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016