Awesome things about the 458 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Awesome things about the 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    How quick is that?

2. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    So....as I have said before...I LOVE my F430 Spider Planned on keeping for a very long time..love the looks, the side scoops, the glorious sound, the perfect throttle response, etc. But, sounds like if I were to ever test drive a 458, I would likely change my tune? You guys are all making this car really (really) sound desirable. darn you!!

Anyway, does anyone that have one wish that the side view had more going on? there's not one scoop / air intake anywhere....(or maybe that is part of the appeal?...)

Thanks!

GT2goneF and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Part of the appeal, personally. Smooth, flowing lines.

From a purely aerodynamic standpoint, the fact that the 458, a 200mph plus car, doesn’t have side scoops and/or ailerons to generate the downforce it needs to stick to the road, is a work of art.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    The car is timless, straight up timeless and classic. A moment in time has frozen when you look at that car and realize time stoof still at the best possible moment.... Also, 488 same idea here, faster but different sound.

I wonder which was works better... If the 488 didn't get turbo's would they have kept the 458 side design....

5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    How do you do this?

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I had the dealer pull the vacuum plugs. Cost about $135 and is reversible does not effect warranty.

7. StevoA

StevoA Rookie

Jun 22, 2015
    Great thread, loving everyone’s passion for the car.

I bought mine in July last year and had a couple of good months driving before the weather turned, looking out my window at the snow while I type I simply can’t wait for Spring to come to better acquaint myself with this fabulous car.

Spent all my days in and out of various Porsches, have done the typical track days and driver events with Maccas and Lambos etc and to me for my own personal tastes and experiences nothing comes close to my 458 for sheer enjoyment.

My list of likes:

1. Taking a minute out my busy day to pop my head into the garage to see my 458 sitting there, reminds me why I work hard and takes any stress away

2. Even when not driving it brings a smile to your face just to see it, even washing it is a good experience

3. When driving the smile gets even bigger!!

4. I have a 2011 and when u figure out the media etc in the car and using Bovee the car is reasonably modern. Suits my needs anyway.

5. Like the indicators, wipers and other functions on steering wheel, miss them when I drive my Macan daily.

6. As Ferrari’s are fairly rare where I live the reaction from people seeing this work of art on the road has been very Positive

7. The sound

8. The sound

9. Race mode and the sound

10. The bucket seats, looks and comfort

11. Stylish, clean, spacious and modern interior

12. The engine bay

13. One of Ferraris finest (know every other model owner might disagree with that one!)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

WagonBum, Earl59, michaelo and 9 others like this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The sound.
    The sound.
    The vibrations.

Have to LOL every time the 488 and Pista crowd says those turbo cars sound “awesome!”.

9. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    I own my 458 7 years now.If i Look into my garage ,i Love it. This is Magic

10. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    At 75 years old, the 458 has the perfect amount of HP. I can cruise around or put it in Race Mode and step on it and have a reasonable amount of time to react to what is going on around me. I love the rather simple lines and as I have said in previous posts, the grigio titanio paint allows me to fly a little under the radar.
    If this were 25 years ago, I would probably think a little differently. This is the perfect Ferrari mid-engined car for me.
    I am currently looking for a nice Dino.
    0-60 in 7+ seconds isn't exactly quick, but having owned four of them in my lifetime, I can say the driving experience with the 5-speed and the mid engined 6 is pretty stellar. The hard part is finding a car that has been well cared for. Having owned multiple Dino's, even when purchased new, didn't guarantee freedom from multiple frustrations. No doubt those still exist and are probably worse due to age, but the styling is incredible, the sound is utterly unique and the driving experience is really amazing.

Caeruleus11, GT2goneF, schwoo and 4 others like this.
  11. sam Klapholz

sam Klapholz Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    sam Klapholz
    This may sound silly, but when I see it all covered up with it's red cover with the prancing horse, I run my hands along the tail and sides and just smile knowing I've caught a wild stallion and have it right here ready to go whenever I want.

Rexcat458 and Robert Collins like this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Robert Collins and GT2goneF like this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Lol

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I agree kept the F8 in the upper garage this Winter so every time I left for work there she was under her blanket. I would go stroke her ass from time to time. :cool:

GT2goneF, cole328 and AD211 like this.
  15. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Nice...

16. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Haven't owned one. Have been in one. Agree with the sound, particularly with a Novitec exhaust. In addition, for a 11 year old car/platform, still looks very good to today's standards. It is a beautiful design and in my opinion, will go down as one of the best well rounded cars in modern history.

17. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    i wish bought it 5-10 years ago. now too outdated and a bit underpowered to go and buy.

still a great car.

18. regy53

regy53 Rookie

May 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ross C
    You can only drive so fast on most roads . It slow ish by today’s standards but who drives ten tenths everywhere unless tracking . If tracking just grab a 720 and be done

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think there are more of us than you might think, who fairly often dip into the full power. This is why we get used to it and why the old cars start to feel slow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF likes this.
  20. matt lane

matt lane Rookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lane
    Yeah, on public roads, it's a hair over 4 seconds to a lost license - at least here in NA. I love the intangibles, not the speed.

21. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    So I am a very, very visual guy. Thank God I married a hottie...LOL! Back on point though...

Given my persona, I thought I'd share a few things about the car I have noticed visually in the first month of ownership.

1) The most amazing lines in this car are where the rear quarter panel top line comes down to meet the top of the door handle, while the front quarter panel does the same thing but meets it below the handle. It makes the door handle look like a flying bullet cutting through air. You've seen a video of it I'm sure. Regardless, those lines make the entire car for me and I find myself standing behind the taillight every night every night just looking at those lines. Thank you Pininfarina!!!

2) Looking through the side mirrors on either side, the rear fenders look MASSIVE and they actually look like they are above the mirrors (maybe they are). It really makes it feel like you are in a race car. I know side mirrors are for checking traffic but I find myself staring at those badass fenders when I am sitting at a stop light. LOL. I also love this look from the mirrors of my Porsche 993 Twin Turbo, but the Ferrari is a bit more dramatic.

3) The two body lines you see when looking in the rear view mirror. They are so subtle outside of the car you barely notice them, but in the rear view mirror they just look cool!

4) The front fenders from the cockpit remind me of my 1981 911. Totally different design, but pronounced humps that you can see at any angle as a driver and I love it! My Audi R8 showed you basically nothing in front of you as it all sloped downward. I loved that car, but this is so much more visually stimulating.

5) Taillights. Classic Ferrari. I love it.

6) The rear decklid...The coupe has the window which is killer, but given mine is a spider I will comment on that. Without glass, Ferrari made the most of the design. The body lines for the humps behind the seats allow the body lines to imitate the coupe and give us the hardtop, but the sloping lines down the back half of the car that ultimately go into the air intakes are incredible. Just an amazing design.

I'll stop there, but those are my favorite visuals of this car.

Other than visual cues, my favorites are:

1) Driving in auto/race mode. I love when the car thinks for you and downshifts for you like you are about to turn in and try to hit an apex! Amazing.
    2) 9,000 RPM's. Enough said. Shrieks like a dragon.
    3) Super fast shifting with the dual clutch.
    4) The controls. Admittedly hard to get used to, but once you do, it's awesome having 95% of all controls on the steering wheel!

That's my .02!!!

Rexcat458, GT2goneF and RoadRonin like this.
  22. eurocg

eurocg Karting

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Full Name:
    C
    Back in January 2013 I was handed the keys to a 2012 458 Fly Yellow Coupe. It was the first Ferrari I had ever driven. After that 20 minute rip around the Georgia farm roads, I was hooked.

February 2020 I was able to purchase a 2013 458 Bianco Fuji Spider.

To quote the original Top Gear, “it just gives me the fizz”

I had a 991 GT3 and though more capable, doesn’t come close to the emotional attachment. Maybe this one is because it was my first and I have some romantic notion that I can’t shake.

I know their are more capable cars. I know there are faster cars. But this one does it. Just can’t shake that grin. Looking forward to spring ....

As for specifics; I agree with most here. The sound. The lines. The dual personality, I agree she can cruise just as well as go crazy.

Being a Spider, lowering the rear window is he hands down best option on the car. Getting to listen to that motor front and center. Awesome awesome awesome.

Mikael-F360, soulsea, dustman and 4 others like this.
  23. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    My favorite thing about the 458 is that I just bought one!!!

Had a 430 Spider - Loved it!
    Now I'm getting a 458 spider - Going to love it!!!

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Rear deck lid of the spider is drop dead sexy.

25. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    I think it depends what you want from a car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app