Anyone else have an aftermarket stereo with amp(s)? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone else have an aftermarket stereo with amp(s)?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by niftyfivefifty, Feb 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No wonder all you young guys are going deaf.

ferraridriver likes this.
  2. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    ^Hahahaha

3. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    so where did the amp go? and the big speakers or are they not big?

4. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Speakers are in the doors. They ae 6.5”. The amps and the sound filter are in the trunk. There is a flat subwoofer behind the passenger seat.

5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    That's a dream setup!

Well done.

gabf1 likes this.
  6. MKnightMD

MKnightMD Rookie

Mar 30, 2008
    Irvine, Cali
    Full Name:
    Mark Knight
    I have a setup with a separate battery. I will get some pics for you tomorrow when the light is better.

niftyfivefifty and F456M like this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It looks absolutely super impressive!! You don’t need to answer, but May I ask how much that cost you? Did you do any sound proofing to make the noise from the wheels less intrusive? I would love to have a system like yours!

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Have you found a aftermarket unit yet? I found this one the other day, looks very sleek. Sony RSX-GS9 GS-Series.

I find it quite strange that even today it's so rare to find a CLEAN looking headunit that doesn't look out of place. Pretty much every single headunit is so messy looking with many lights jumping up and down. A clean one that connects with your phone and spotify is all you need, right? You can also get a ''hidden bluetooth" amp so you do away with the single din completely. I've no idea how it connects to a sub amp though. https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/hidden-audio/hidden-bluetooth-amplifier/
    [​IMG]

9. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I can’t remember exactly what I paid but it wasn’t cheap lol. I am in the process of getting the stereo on my other car done and it is very exciting. They are doing that and ppf and paint correction so it been in the shop for a few weeks. Heard it at the shop yesterday and was amazed. I really enjoy the sound my car makes and yet at other times I just want to listen to good music that is clear and clean and loud sometimes. Music is my passion along with cars so for me best of both worlds situation.

F456M and tres55 like this.
  10. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I've seen this head unit and I think it looks way too futuristic for the 550.

I went with the Pioneer DEH-80PRS and although it doesn't suit it completely either...it has all the functionality I wanted out of a modern head unit without looking like there's a rave inside the car.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's the least futuristic I could find that would blend in reasonably well, lol. It's like 2 ends of the spectrum but nothing in the middle: You can either have a ravey headunit that's more apt in a teenagers vw golf MK3 or one of those ridiculous things that looks like it's from the 60s but with modern bits inside.

Porsche's upgraded unit really is a great looking thing and IMO blends in the best. 2 things: 1) It has a porsche logo 2) I believe upon start up it shows something about Porsche. Last thing wouldn't bother me too much if it's only on start up, and the 1st bit is easily rectified by someone that can remove the porsche lettering.

But are Porsche's headunits true single din? They look like they're slightly larger to my eyes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The company that makes them is Kraemer automotive, they seem to do a ''blank'' style as well but don't list anywhere you can buy them:

Even though the screen is undoubtly modern, it's done in a way it looks like it always should've been there IMO.

tres55 likes this.
  12. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
  13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One of the sticky guys can fix that Porsche logo and replace with Ferrari or 456/M/550/575M.

14. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Awesome, thank you!

I just purchased one of these locally and it is really cool. I actually really dig the look, but my interior looks like something you would see on a futuristic movie in the 80s which I think helps it fit. I will post photos once it is in.

I spoke with one of their sales reps last year and he recommended a couple options, including the second one you posted. I just checked their site and it looks like they may have added a couple more unbranded models. I reached out to him and I'll report back with what he says.

That is my favorite Viper interior, definitely my favorite model. Very cool! I agree about the period correct Alpine, I had a similar model in my Eagle Talon in the early 2000ss. My car originally had an Alpine F#1 Status which was removed by the previous owner for an underwhelming Pioneer flip screen that currently sells on eBay for under $100. There has been a lot of cool stuff coming directly out of Japan such as the F#1 stuff, Pioneer ODR, Clarion HX, etc. If anyone is interested in something specific, I can check availability.

That's a great idea! Though the Kraemer rep told me they cannot remove the "Porsche" text on screen when the unit boots up. But maybe the right software expert could figure it out.

Another cool option might be a McIntosh unit, similar to what was offered in the 1st gen Ford GT which is an MX406 clone:

Or the extremely rare MX5000. It looks the same, but adds HDCD capability and adds some hardware tweaks like a copper plated chassis. The MPM4000 VU meter unit is also really cool, but sadly will not fit:

Denon was also making some cool stuff, such as the ultra rare DCT-1 in black:

Here is how my car arrived. I removed the McIntosh amp and amp rack, only keeping the leather bound "shroud", and I plan to incorporate it with a design to make it a functional parcel shelf, but keep the spirit of the original install:

MKnightMD, gabf1, white out and 2 others like this.
  15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    wow.. That build must have cost a fortune! How do you access the fuse board with that speaker in the way?

16. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    The speaker kickpanel removes pretty quickly with 2 screws. We estimate the original equipment cost at $20k and another $20k+ in labor and materials. The F#1 Status headunit, DSP, and DVD changer alone would have been ~$10k, and that is in year 2000 dollars!

F456M and tres55 like this.
  17. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I was SUPER close to pulling the trigger on a few McIntosh for the 575. Such a classy looking head unit with great sound to boot. They are not cheap though.

rhern213 likes this.
  18. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    niftyfivefifty, MKnightMD and F456M like this.
  19. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I wish they would make a new headunit with all the current tech. I agree, they look and sound awesome. I had the Clarion siblings, DRX-9255 and DRZ-9255 and they sounded absolutely incredible.

That is pretty cool. That is a great headunit and I love the integrated cradle for the remote. What else is in your system?

20. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "What else is in your system?"
    Just decade and a half old school CD changer, Nav, Sat, etc. The only upgrade has been connectors/adaptors for I-pod and I-Phones.

F456M, niftyfivefifty and white out like this.
  21. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Yes, that’s the good stuff! I bet you have great amps and speakers too.