Replacing Air Conditioner Drier-Receiver | FerrariChat

Replacing Air Conditioner Drier-Receiver

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Mar 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #1 Brian A, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    The factory drier-receiver (part 106647) is made by Hansa and is currently available through many of the regular Ferrari part suppliers. It costs around $165.

The factory drier-receiver is unusual in that it has a #6 female o-ring coupling on one side and a #6 male o-ring coupling on the other. Most conventional drier-receivers have male #6 o-ring couplings on both sides. A conventional drier-receiver costs around $18.

The unusual thing is that the factory used a female-to-female adapter (Part 107402) in order to use the Hansa drier-receiver. If that adapter is removed from the pressure switch union (part 106646), a conventional male-male drier-receiver can be used. This is the best way to go.

Be careful when working on the pressure switch union to remove the female-to-female adapter. The union has a short piece of very thin copper tubing which is easily bent. You might have to double-nut the adapter to get it off; it can be screwed in really tight.

Here are three drier-receivers that work:

Hansa – OEM #6 o-ring male-female. $165.

Singer Controls model 460. #6 o-ring male-female just like OEM. NAPA Autoparts found one for me 5 years ago (last belt change). $28.

Four-Seasons model 33444. #6 o-ring male-male. Needs part 107402 removed. I used this one this belt change. A much better option. Amazon $18.42.

A few points on drier-receivers:

- Common wisdom says you should replace the drier-receiver with a brand new one each time you open up the system.

- Used (!!) factory Hansa drier-receivers are listed on eBay for as much as $500. Don’t buy them! You need a fresh one.

- The purpose of the drier-receiver is to capture moisture in the system which minimizes corrosive acidity of the refrigerant.

- The size of the drier-receiver really doesn’t matter (within reason). As long as it fits, it’ll do its job.

The two connection methods: Four Seasons Drier-Receiver on top and Singer on bottom:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hansa vs Singer (Four Seasons is the same size as the Hansa):

lm2504me, GordonC and miketuason like this.
  2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I removed the joiner piece ages ago and run a trinary switch. My receiver drier is from a Caterpillar - $20

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I recognize the template in the background of your photo. I too upgraded the blower fan.

Ferraridoc likes this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Are you guys running R12 when you are done, or R134?

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Other purpose of the drier is to remove any moisture to prevent freezing up at the expansion valve, these driers have a screen filter on the inlet side just above the beads, it collects any rubbish in the liquid refrigerant and prevents it blocking the exp valve. A good test when you remove it, is to blow your breath down the inlet and you should feel no resistance.
    we had a blocked one on a ship i worked on but did not have a spare- we cut the top of with a junior hacksaw, cleaned out the mesh filter , put the beads on a tray in the oven @ 120C to dry out and soldered the top back on with an AG 60 rod. Worked fine as no shops mid Atlantic.

mexicruiser and theunissenguido like this.