Turbine Legend Anyone? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Turbine Legend Anyone?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Hannibal308, Apr 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I'm pretty certain the guy flies F-16s for our dear old Uncle Sam.

Mark

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Could be.

Uncle Sam doesn't use Simulators?

3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    No, the Link was the first sim I trained in actually. But yes, uncle sam has some very nice sims that would blow your mind if you got to fly them like I have. We just very, very rarely used them to practice flying airplanes. We used airplanes for that. Sims were to practice destroying stuff.

In the F-16 we would pull power to idle miles and miles from an airfield and fly to high key and never touch the throttle again until taxiing clear of the runway. We would do the same thing heavy-weight after takeoff where High Key could be in the high teen-thousand feet and you were at space shuttle speeds and nose low to the runway. In the RAF Hawk at Fast Jet Test Squadron it was even more insane...pull to idle at 600-700 feet on takeoff and touch and go on a cross runway at MOD Boscombe...we practiced it all the time. We didn't have sims to practice EPs.

Regarding terms, sorry I haven't even had to look at my little grey and blue "ticket" in about 20 years...not sure how it's stated on there, I only know it says commercial MEL/SEL and Instrument something. But after getting my private SEL on my 17th birthday, all the others were mail in my military checkride certs and just mailed back from the FAA, so I kidded not when I say I don't know much.

If I have to do a sim for insurance reasons for whatever plane I end up with, so be it. No big deal. It just seems dumb when I'll be flying my own plane around to get myself to and from work.

Appreciate all the tips...

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If you own a fast turbine, insurance is going to make you do recurrent training every year. Too much liability for them.

I think the main reason for the sim time is though I fly over 300 hours a year, nothing ever goes wrong. You could go years without an emergency and if you suddenly had one you'd have no idea what to do.

5. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    i'm just now reading this and sitting here laughing over the idea of commuting in an extra or F1 rocket

get a Cirrus and leave your ego on the ground

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'm a big fan of single engine turbine power. A little background on my like for them. Back in 1989 my Dad decided he needed a little bit faster twin over his Saratoga. Then Socata came out with the TBM-700. Then Piper came out with the Meridian and he has a half share in one with one of his clients. So basically since 1989, our plane discussion center around single turboprops.

So I don't think its a crazy choice. But if me, Id go mid 90's Bonanza like this 1994 BEECHCRAFT A36 BONANZA TURBOPROP Turboprop for sale Wichita KS Jackson & Associates - 2181945

7. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    get an insurance quote on the "cheaper" SETP options out there....your options will quickly dwindle

TBM, PC12, Piper...sure....but these aren't $250-300k airplanes that thread starter is mentioning.....L39, lol....$50k/yr in insurance, $800-100/hr in gas....still interested?

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Actually, the Extra LT is built for exactly the mission the OP wants to do. It's not something that would work for me, but to each his own.

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I tend to forget insurance costs. Although not cheap, its more reasonable here in Canada. Most GA airports here have well funded flying clubs. Most have a decent rental fleet and a few have flying schools. Since its a club the schools are non profit. So training here is a little more reasonable as well. The added bonus of a club, you can find all kinds of qualified pilots for reasonable money.

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Fortunately, my ego goes everywhere with me as it's not sickly and still passes the annual exam. After flying Vipers for a living, flying a Cirrus is akin to asking a retired F1 driver to commute to his consulting job in a Prius. You're not likely to see that happen...ever.

(Kidding aside, Cirrus is a great plane, it's just not for me)

I went to the UK to flight test the 330LT and it really is a perfect commuter for what I had intended. Three round trips a month from Phoenix to the tri-states area and back, where no commercial travel is available, about 160NM each way. A 50 minute flight rather than a three and a half hour drive would have been welcome. Doing the same in about 35 minutes in a Turbine Legend is something I would have liked to try as well.

Anyway, it all became moot as I now commute in an A330 HNL-PHX-HNL once a month instead. I had to choose between living on the beach and flying my own plane to work. I chose the beach.

11. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    If you want to know what a turbine Legend is like to fly, here is a flight review.

(Yeah, I am a little late to the party, but here it is from the horse's mouth. :) )

https://www.kitplanes.com/turbine-legend/

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Too funny...I'm back in the market for one...

13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    did you ever buy a plane to fly for the last 4 years?

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    This is one of two that I partnered in...this is taking off out of Oshkosh last summer as #4 in a 4-ship...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ChipG likes this.