Empty Roads and Boredom | FerrariChat

Empty Roads and Boredom

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Mar 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello all,

roads are empty. Gas is cheap. I have no more work and am bored. Nothing to do on the cars as well. I'm learning a new CAD-system meanwhile, but sitting at home and in my home office slowly drives me nuts. On the other hand our limited curfews don't say it's not allowed to drive one's cars yet.
    Would it be impious driving around with the 308 during these days?

Best from Germany
    Martin

Jroe550 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can you drive to Autobahn?

3. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Social distancing in a 308 sounds great to me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Robb, arch1text, jcurry and 2 others like this.
  4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Going for a solo drive sounds like a great idea to me. And while some might scoff or disapprove, many will smile at the sight of a vintage Ferrari roaring past - a nice reminder that life isn't all fear and woe, and that beauty will always survive.

JasonS, Jack-the-lad, greg328 and 4 others like this.
  5. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Drive to a supermarket, buy essential food in it .
    Lockdowns don’t specify the age of the car or exclude classic .

Martin308GTB likes this.
  6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I put on 200 miles today being 'less than responsible' in my driving technique. If I get pulled over, I will cough up some phlem in my bare hand, then use the same hand to give the officer my license and registration.

Dewinator, greg328, willrace and 2 others like this.
  7. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Specifically ruled out in the UK & actively discouraged. Largely I think because if you *did* have an accident then its going to tie up health service resources better utilised elsewhere.

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've driven my car more in the past few days than I have in the past month. But... Ya know, given how much I'm hemorrhaging invested cash and income, it's a small bit of enjoyment and relief from the madness.

9. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David

Attached Files:

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I like that but be careful its not considered attempted murder or terrorism! :eek:

11. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Portofino, Martin308GTB and absostone like this.
  12. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    JasonS, dinoart and Martin308GTB like this.
  13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    The officer can choose to not touch my paperwork. I wouldn't be forcing it on anyone...

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I said I like that . I meant like oh crap I shouldn't of done that.

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #15 Martin308GTB, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Thanks guys for encouraging me. I will report back. I hope, nothing breaks, since my favourite parts supplier -Maranello Concessionaires/FerrariUK- is closed.
    Just to be clear. I don't plan to do anything, what's not permitted. Up till today it's not ruled out using your car on public roads here. Our curfew is not so strict like for example in nearby France. We are still allowed to go outside and meet one single person or go outside with family members.

Of course Mike. Next on-ramp is 2.5mls. distant.

Best from Germany
    Martin

16. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    From boredom I thought about playing with my dental 3D toys in replicating 308 parts for my 85 QV. First thing I want to replicate the side view mirror plastic cap that easily get knocked off while driving on rough roads. Unobtainium made them but I thought I'll give it a try on my expensive 3D toys. It turns out very good and I've been testing driving with it for the last 100 miles. I was able to fool the dental software in thinking it's teeth that I was scanning. I guess I'll have a lot of free time next to scan the other removable flat cap in the front of the mirror. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JuLiTrO, rob, Patrick Dixon and 3 others like this.
  17. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Disregard the roller picture. It's a broken roller from my therapy chair that I try to replicate some new ones from the 3D printer.

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am so "lucky"! I was in the midst of a timing belt service and total renovation of my suspension system when we went into stay-at-home mode. Lots to do.

I also need to replace a half-shaft boot. Rather than go to the hardware store to get a stocky 8mm 1/2 inch drive Allen socket, I ordered it from Amazon to avoid going out. It will arrive Saturday.

I bicycle as the aerobic part of my exercise. Well, yesterday my shifter cable snapped and the rear derailleur jumped into the highest gear. Not an easy 10 miles home. A new cable also arrives on Saturday. YouTube will teach me how to change the darn thing.

greg328 and Texas Forever like this.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Guten Morgen Martin,

There is nothing in the regulations here that would forbid me to take a car out: there are no specific exclusions for sports cars, or vintage cars, etc...but you must have a specific purpose to be out, for instance buying food.
    However, I chose not to. I took both cars out the week-end before quarantine for a 60 mile drive, and filled both up. Now we are waiting. I'm quarantined in the family house near the german border, have a big garden to clean and prepare for the spring. I'm teleworking, part-time, and hoping for the best. No symptoms of Covid-19 this far. Touching wood.

"Hals und Beinbruch..."

Rgds

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Here is not forbidden to take out a Ferrari and move to a market to take some food, but nobody does it: it doesn't look correct, at present. Unfortunately it would be time to take out my cars, but I think they will survive also stayng there. This weeken I want to move the pistons a bit from their position with the starter motor, no more. Maybe I will start the engine too, but I think it's much better just turning the crankshaft for one or two rounds that firing up the engine for ten seconds.

The future, whatever will happen, looks dark.

ciao

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    O.k. It seems, that the public feeling over here is kind of different from that across the big pond. Though I didn't plan to drive around town but just on some lonely back roads and through the woods I will discard these plans.
    I just wonder what to do with the car. The last drive was shortly before christmas. Then I did the A/C-compressor repair and the tank is not even half full.
    I could warm up the engine at idle for half an hour. But given the outside temperatures, this would collect a lot of water inside the exhaust system.

These are crappy times.

Best from Germany and stay safe
    Martin

22. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Personally, I think a difference between the US and most of the rest of the world is that we consider driving a right and not a privilege. In that vein, taking out a hot car on a beautiful day during the apocalypse is fitting and actually expected. Yesterday, while out picking up a prescription for my wife in my gated 360 Spider, I came across a nice Jag F type, a Maserati Granturismo and a couple of Vet's. A lot of people were out in the cool cars just taking in the freedom of empty streets. I even got a thumbs up from a bum on the corner with some sort of cryptic end of the world sign.

Celebrate life! Drive your Ferrari today.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The 'guidance' here in San Antonio, Texas is that driving to get food/supplies/gasoline (also hardware stores/auto parts stores) in any kind of vehicle is OK. Driving just to go out for a drive is not. HOWEVER, the local government advises that law enforcement is not going to pull anyone over and ask them what they are doing. So from a practical side, you can drive anywhere you want.

Of course there is the shaming aspect...There was a newspaper article locally about someone who took his vintage Cobra to the Hill Country last week - about 90 miles from here. When asked by a 'helpful' enquiring citizen what he was doing in Leakey, Texas, he advised he was driving up from San Antonio to "go to the store." Since Leakey (size - one square km; population around 450) has one corner grocery store and San Antonio has more than 120 HEB brand supermarkets alone, no idea how many others grocery stores, the story that he 'needed' to go to a store in Leakey got him some abuse in print...;)

24. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Perhaps he wondered if their shelves were as plundered as yours?

I have taken the Countach to HEB several times - and have considered taking it to HEB in Fredericksburg to see if they have TP :)

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    here better not doing a joke like that with the policemen: you can be prosecuted and they will force you to test for the Covid. If you will be positive, you will be sentenced from 1 to 4 years of prisony, as that is what happens to those who Leave their home being infected by the Covid. Policemen are threatening their own lifes these days, as they are all at work and cannot follow the Covid safety rules during their job. They are protecting us despite this virus warning.

ciao

detroiter, robbie308 and absostone like this.