Ferrari old dealer quest - Lightspeed srl | FerrariChat

Ferrari old dealer quest - Lightspeed srl

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by stekkefun4, Nov 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    One of my cars seem to have been originally sold by a Ferrari dealer/distributor around 1991-1993 that was called 'Lightspeed srl' and had code 100088888

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

The "srl" company form makes me think it was an Italian or French dealer, though nothing to be found on the net.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If they were official they should be listed in the Sales & Service Organisation book if its still with the car

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I don't have that with this car, but it's a good idea, I'll check out the booklets in my other cars.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have mine from 1976, but what year is the car in question....??

Interesting that the SECOND "customer car" that now runs in Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus, is LightSpeed.

But that is no relation, as today it's a nod to the work of Dr. Alan Ruud, in LED lighting pioneering science.
    His son, a very nice chap...

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    In the Star Trek days, "light speed" meant a speed factor..

"Mr. Sulu.......you have the Com..."
    :D :D :D

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    No luck, it isn't mentioned in the Sales & Service booklet.

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Lightspeed S.r.l. was a smaller dealer and broker for Ferraris in northern Italy. Many of the cars they handled went to the grey market.

Marcel Massini

020147 and rampante550 like this.
  8. tbem

tbem Rookie

May 15, 2019
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I heard that Lightspeed has been entred as default when bringing the manual datas to the first Ferrari internal software. If the dealer was unknown when updating the first software release the system entered automaticly Lightspeed SRL as default dealer. Lightspeed was the company who made the first software for Ferrari.

Can anyone confirm this?

9. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Definitely not French. A French company should "sArl" not "srl".

porphy likes this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    See post #7.

Marcel Massini

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    S.r.l. means "Società a Responsabilità Limitata" which is nothing more than/identical to "LLC" (Limited Liability Company).
    S.r.l. is ITALIAN.

Marcel Massini

12. tbem

tbem Rookie

May 15, 2019
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Okey.. where was this dealer located? Cant find any in the italien camber of commerce.

13. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Lightspeed in my day of the mid 90’s was a software program developed for car and motorcycle dealerships, sales, cash registers, inventory, service department, handled everything and was a pain to learn

tbem likes this.
  14. tbem

tbem Rookie

May 15, 2019
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Bruno

I agree 100% with you..

15. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Went to a function at Ferrari Maserati Vancouver today and was talking to the Fixed Operations Manager about getting some touch-up paint for my 1990 Testarossa. Even though I had the paint code, he asked for my VIN just to make sure.

Anyway, he also researched my VIN for me and came up with a sales date of March 16, 1990 in Italy.

The car was sent to Japan. The vendor: Lightspeed SRL. So back to Marcel's post #7. Definitely grey market as my car has a european and not Japanese vin.

Their address was: Via Tonelli 67, 12043 Taneto, Reggio Emilia.

16. tbem

tbem Rookie

May 15, 2019
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Bruno

Next time when driving to Maranello i will take some pics there. On google earth i can only see a church there

17. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    This is interesting. A few years ago I did some research on my car, a 1984 BB512i SN 51723. Via information supplied by Ferrari of Atlanta and them contacting Ferrari North America, my car was delivered to Lightspeed SRL in Cologne, Germany. From there it went to it's original owner (I'm number 3) in Phoenix, Arizona via delivery to the Port of Los Angles.

Would it have been possible that Lightspeed had offices in different places? Or was this that "default dealer" thing rearing it's head?

18. tbem

tbem Rookie

May 15, 2019
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Bruno

To me the only logic conclusion is therefore that Lightspeed was set as default.. Massini looking to be wrong with his statement

19. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    FWIW, the original owner, who I have talked to and got the early history of the car, purchased the car himself directly from Ligjtspeed in Germany. No broker was involved in the purchase. The owner dealt with them directly. Or so I was told and I have no reason to doubt him.

20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Lightspeed S.r.l. was a "shadow company" used to sell gray market cars when the factory was unable to sell cars directly (into certain markets).

Marcel Massini

Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. tbem

tbem Rookie

May 15, 2019
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Thin ice you are moving on.. Not sure if the people involved at the time are amused when reading your post

22. Manuel.G

Manuel.G Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    España - Madrid
    I have a similar case,

A 1986 ferrari mondial that was supposed to be intended for the Swedish / Slovenian market and that Ferrari says was sold by "LIGHTSPEED SRL"

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Sorry but Sweden and Slovenia are as related as Paraguay and Uzbekistan. Makes zero sense.

24. Manuel.G

Manuel.G Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    España - Madrid
    I know, but someone who is supposed to know told me... hahaha

25. Manuel.G

Manuel.G Karting

Mar 21, 2013
    España - Madrid
    I have found another case about LightSpeed Srl on a 288 GTO...